a shining example of amurrikkkan consumerism

Discussion in 'Politics' started by OldPArtner, Nov 28, 2008.

1. OldPArtner

OldPArtner New Member

A Wal-Mart worker died after being trampled when hundreds of shoppers smashed through the doors of a Long Island store Friday morning, police and witnesses said.

The 34-year-old worker, employed as an overnight stock clerk, tried to hold back the unruly crowds just after the Valley Stream store opened at 5 a.m.

Witnesses said the surging throngs of shoppers knocked the man down. He fell and was stepped on. As he gasped for air, shoppers ran over and around him.

"He was bum-rushed by 200 people," said Jimmy Overby, 43, a co-worker. "They took the doors off the hinges. He was trampled and killed in front of me. They took me down too...I literally had to fight people off my back."

The unidentified victim was rushed to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 6:03 a.m., police said.

The cause of death wasn't immediately available pending results of an autopsy.

A 28-year-old pregnant woman was knocked to the floor during the mad rush. She was hospitalized for observation, police said. Early witness accounts that the woman suffered a miscarriage were unfounded, police said.

Three other shoppers suffered minor injuries, cops said.

Before police shut down the store, eager shoppers streamed past emergency crews as they worked furiously to save the store clerk's life.

"They were working on him, but you could see he was dead, said Halcyon Alexander, 29. "People were still coming through."

Only a few stopped.

"They're savages," said shopper Kimberly Cribbs, 27. "It's sad. It's terrible."
    Worker dies at Long Island Wal-Mart after being trampled in Black Friday stampede

2. Principessa

Gold Member

Already posted here.

What's with the intentional misspelling of America? Specifically the three K's. Perhaps you are unaware that kkk is an acronym for Ku Klux Klan a hate group which is over a century old.

This is not an example of American consumerism. It's the effects of bad manners, media hype, and a serious economic depression. People are desperate to at least have a nice Christmas.

3. Domisoldo

Gold Member

Albums:
    There is plenty of blame to go around. This "Black Friday" hype was not invented by the consumers after all. It seems to be designed to result in such tragedies.

Failure to assist a person in danger should be a crime. Irrespective, how can anyone have a "nice Christmas" literally on the back of an innocent poorly-paid worker?

Those people were savages. The store and this absurd Black Friday hysteria are also to blame.

4. arrivaderciroma

arrivaderciroma New Member

This is American ritual. Pious citizens will celebrate as the media dictates. The church no longer has any influence. It's the retail mullahs who call the shots. What do your mullahs tell you?

5. Principessa

Gold Member

• What the hell is a mullah? :confused:
    • Thanksgiving is not a religious holiday, the church never had any influence over it.
    • Christmas shopping has nothing to do with piety.

6. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

People get crushed by other stampeding people during the Mecca pilgrimages. This is just the American equivalent.

7. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

A mullah is someone that interprets the Koran in Islamic countries.
    For example, Ali Khamenei, the supreme leader of Iran is a mullah.
    In this case, I believe arrivaderciroma is connecting the concept of a religious leader directing people to an end, perhaps like sheep, to business leaders in the states directing people to buy in the same manner. :shrug:

8. devron

devron New Member

It's Black Friday all across the country. How is it fair to malign companies as a whole or American consumers by the actions of a bunch of cretins in Long Island?

Those jugheads are responsible for their own actions and I hope they sleep well knowing they stomped a guy to death just to get some deals.

#8 devron, Nov 28, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  9. D_Marazion Analdouche

Which is part of the problem. People would rather get up at 4 in the morning to stand outside a Walmart and then trample and kill some retail worker to buy gifts. Intead, if things are so tight they can sit back, give thanks for what they do have, teach their kids the meaning of what Xmas is supposed to be and enjoy just being with their families.

The lesson of passing down materialism is what is ruining this country, people and their need to purchase beyond their means. These are prolly the same people that went upside down in their mortgages to buy plasma tvs, SUVs, rims, dvd players, ATVs, gun racks and pickup trucks. People are obsessed with having to have what the next person has, it's how they measure themselves as people and parents. Instead of spending this wasted energy on shopping, it should be refocused on their kids explaining why they don't need the latest video game or tickle me elmo.

It would be funny if they prosecuted everyone on security video that ran over and by this poor bastard, that would be a great xmas, and maybe they would learn something.

10. Domisoldo

Gold Member

Albums:
    One can be a cretin and still uphold fundamental standards of morality.

Those creatures were not "cretins", they were devoid of the most basic humanity.

Let's also bear in mind that those consumers were not stampeding for survival staples, or for a lifeline to Allah, but only for low-grade gadgets.

11. OldPArtner

OldPArtner New Member

I am well aware of that, and that is part of the effect I wanted to impart, much like when Freepers use the term "Dhimmicrats" or angry leftists use "Rethuglicans" or "Repugnicans" or the c-c-c-combo, "Rethugnicans":rolleyes:

*wait, I have an even better idea, a 4some: "rethugnikkkun$"

Draft saved Draft deleted