A simple request

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This aimed for the most part, if not entirely, at those of you who were McCain supporters or simply against Obama. I am just asking that you at the very least try to be cooperative and give Obama a chance at the Presidency before posting malicious threads/comments.

Again, this is just a civil request to refrain from trying to tear him up before he officially assumes office. Feel free to disagree with him, but there is no need for anti-Obama-Presidency threads to be started in the period between the election and inauguration.

Also, a preemptive apology if I omitted anything I meant/wanted to say or worded something strangely/vaguely. I'm pretty tired at the time of writing.

And remember, if you want his Presidency to have a better chance at success, try to work with him and give him a chance

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
well, while i appreciate the tone of your post, people here have every right to say what they want about him.

not once have i ever said anything derogatory about him as a person, because i think he is a very interesting, charismatic, and intelligent man, who i'd happily sit down and have a beer with and talk to.

But id disagree vehemently with many of his policies as do some others here.

I did not vote for him, or John McCain, because i do not vote for republicans or democrats as policy...

this board has been a very angry place politically for the lasst few months, and i think if McCain had won, many of the Obama supporters would not grant him the same cooperative, non-malicious free-ride.

I am willing to give him a chance, but i am not willing to work with him in formulating policy i disagree with strongly.

That is not the job of the opposition. the opposition's job is to still stand up for the voices of those who are not in the majority, be it republican or democrat...

i do not agree with the nastiness towards Obama on a personal level which i find despicable...but as a reminder, many on here have been utterly despicable towards McCain as well, and even though i think George W was perhaps the worst president in american history, some of the bile and viciousness directed at him here is startling.

I hope nobody tearsn him down personally, but i believe that for most people like you or I believe or others who believe in civility with regards to a personal nature of the candidate, there is a heavy difference here.

i would say that the people here who have been so vicious to McCain and Bush (yes he was a horrible president) might consider how they want Obama to be t reated personally.

i however believe that most of these people who are so vicious towards bush and McCain are very much the exact same type of people who calle Obama a muslim and a terrorist.

there is enough shame on both the far right and far left on that account, and alot of it here on this board. the difference is, there are very few McCain/Bush supporters on this board, though there are a vocal few, who will throw out the "obama is a terrorist and a muslim" thing shamefully, but considering that the population of this board voted overwhelmingly for Obama, many of their attacks on McCain and Bush have been just as vile...and you do not need to be a republican to find that vile, same as you do notr have to be a democrat to find attacks on Obama of a personal nature disgusting too.

I personally find both candidates totally unappetizing politically, but think they are both very decent, dedicated men.

curious n str8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
well, while i appreciate the tone of your post, people here have every right to say what they want about him.

not once have i ever said anything derogatory about him as a person, because i think he is a very interesting, charismatic, and intelligent man, who i'd happily sit down and have a beer with and talk to.

But id disagree vehemently with many of his policies as do some others here.

I did not vote for him, or John McCain, because i do not vote for republicans or democrats as policy...

this board has been a very angry place politically for the lasst few months, and i think if McCain had won, many of the Obama supporters would not grant him the same cooperative, non-malicious free-ride.

I am willing to give him a chance, but i am not willing to work with him in formulating policy i disagree with strongly.

That is not the job of the opposition. the opposition's job is to still stand up for the voices of those who are not in the majority, be it republican or democrat...
Well said Flashy :35:

A truly noble sentiment from a most sincere place in your heart.

And not very realistic. It's sad but true. Obama's honeymoon will be the shortest in presidential history. Already his cabinet choices are coming under scrutiny by the media as will everything else he does for the next 11 weeks. Obama is young and relatively unknown. He's not his running mate, good old Joe Biden, a man who can navigate Washington blindfolded. We know Joe. We've seen him for over a decade. Obama's very fresh, very untested. The American electorate sometimes does this. We pull a young unknown out of the blue and put him in a position of power only because we're too disgusted with all the gray-haired old men we've known for ages. When we do so it's because we crave a fresh start; someone to make us feel good again. We did it with JFK and Jackie, with Carter, with Harding, TR, etc., all the way down to Franklin Pierce. It's not that we're so much in love with the man as what he represents. It's a spin of the wheel, a roll of the dice. Sometimes we get a good one, sometimes we get an awful one. Either way, it's not someone we're used to seeing around.

These presidents come under fire early because, being elected idealistically, we expect them to perform idealistically-- a frequent reciept for disappointment.

I wouldn't be too upset though. The GOP is retreating to lick its wounds and decide where to go from here. They'll be occupied and represented by only marginal leadership for some time to come. Maverick McCain won't be the one to lead them because he IS a maverick and mavericks work alone (comical sidekick excepted). Obama will have a congress desperate to piggy-back on his popularity and make him shine as brightly as possible and the rest of the world is curious as to what sort of mettle this man has. Given the disaster who has preceded him, it won't be all that difficult for Obama to look good.

Obama can take care of himself and I think many people would like him to succceed, but that isn't how things work. Driving around doing errands I listened to the various talk radio pundits such as Hannity, Grant, Levin, and Ingram. They were all skewering Obama as delicately as possible damning him with the faintest of praise and hoping he won't be as radical as they all fear. That's the way things are in politics and always have been. It's actually a good thing because it helps keep balance though that might be difficult to appreciate at this juncture of your political experience.

Whatever Obama does, it will be a fascinating and memorable because presidents like him are either great successes or great failures.

And welcome to LPSG! Glad to have you!

curious n str8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
A truly noble sentiment from a most sincere place in your heart.

And not very realistic. It's sad but true. Obama's honeymoon will be the shortest in presidential history. Already his cabinet choices are coming under scrutiny by the media as will everything else he does for the next 11 weeks. Obama is young and relatively unknown. He's not his running mate, good old Joe Biden, a man who can navigate Washington blindfolded. We know Joe. We've seen him for over a decade. Obama's very fresh, very untested. The American electorate sometimes does this. We pull a young unknown out of the blue and put him in a position of power only because we're too disgusted with all the gray-haired old men we've known for ages. When we do so it's because we crave a fresh start; someone to make us feel good again. We did it with JFK and Jackie, with Carter, with Harding, TR, etc., all the way down to Franklin Pierce. It's not that we're so much in love with the man as what he represents. It's a spin of the wheel, a roll of the dice. Sometimes we get a good one, sometimes we get an awful one. Either way, it's not someone we're used to seeing around.

These presidents come under fire early because, being elected idealistically, we expect them to perform idealistically-- a frequent reciept for disappointment.

I wouldn't be too upset though. The GOP is retreating to lick its wounds and decide where to go from here. They'll be occupied and represented by only marginal leadership for some time to come. Maverick McCain won't be the one to lead them because he IS a maverick and mavericks work alone (comical sidekick excepted). Obama will have a congress desperate to piggy-back on his popularity and make him shine as brightly as possible and the rest of the world is curious as to what sort of mettle this man has. Given the disaster who has preceded him, it won't be all that difficult for Obama to look good.

Obama can take care of himself and I think many people would like him to succceed, but that isn't how things work. Driving around doing errands I listened to the various talk radio pundits such as Hannity, Grant, Levin, and Ingram. They were all skewering Obama as delicately as possible damning him with the faintest of praise and hoping he won't be as radical as they all fear. That's the way things are in politics and always have been. It's actually a good thing because it helps keep balance though that might be difficult to appreciate at this juncture of your political experience.

Whatever Obama does, it will be a fascinating and memorable because presidents like him are either great successes or great failures.

And welcome to LPSG! Glad to have you!
Nicely said. :35: