A Time For Great Sadness

Discussion in 'Politics' started by FuzzyKen, Oct 20, 2008.

1. FuzzyKen

FuzzyKen New Member

This election has for me been a time of great sadness. Political campaigns have and to some degree are legitimizing campaign strategies that completely cloud the real issues and base all advertising on personal attack.

As a swing state we are being absolutely bombarded with commercials on a level that has reached maddening proportions. I am particularly disappointed in the McCain Campain for this campaign strategy.

What I am beginning to object to is that young people moving towards voting age are being taught by this barrage that issues do not matter. The idea is how much dirt you can either gather or manufacture on your opponent.

According to friends in California many States are not getting the same advertising that we are. The commercials you in non swing states are getting is far more tame and far more common sense oriented. You are not getting the absolute mind numbing and moronic false accusations and innuendo that we are getting.

We all need to take real hard action after November 4th to bring this style of campaign to a final end. The end of innuendo substituted for fact would be a great service to all of us.

How many of you are getting this level of venom in your adverstising?

2. 1BiGG1

Gold Member

Wisconsin is inundated with political commercials as well and I’m past tired of them = Nov 4th cannot come fast enough.

I wish they would pass a law that says no party or candidate can say anything about anybody else and can only speak about their own plans.

3. Iokua

Iokua New Member

I just think advertising should be government paid and not party paid. You have debates, town hall meetings. That is your advertising. You also have special time to speak about your policies and plans. The rest, everyone else needs to look up. This way it's fair and about the issues.

4. curious n str8

curious n str8 New Member

Albums:
    To answer the OP question is yes it's really bad here in Alaska. We have 2 of the most powerful representatives in the Congress in Republican Senator Ted Stevens and Republican Don Young. As you may know Sen. Stevens is in trial now for non disclosure issues which from what I have heard and read is innocent. And although no charges have been brought against Don Young the damage has been done in his bid for re-election. And it looks like Stevens will probably be proven innocent of his charges. What ever happen to innocent before guilty is proven? We need to pass laws against all Politicians and Political parties from lying or misleading the public. They need to be held in higher standards since they are the ones making the laws of the land. Why should be able to lie when we pass laws against false advertising in other industries. It certainly isn't the first amendment for freedom of speech. But that what they claim why it is legal for them to lie and miss lead the public. Here is a link all bout it http://www.factcheck.org/specialreports/false_ads_there_oughta_be_a_law.html Btw I agree with what 1biGG1 said "I wish they would pass a law that says no party or candidate can say anything about anybody else and can only speak about their own plans."

5. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Not a bad idea actually. However, "independent third parties" will do it instead.

6. mindseye

Gold Member

Unsurprisingly, I disagree with faceking. Of all forms of speech protected by the First Amendment, political speech deserves the most protection of all.

If we've got enough votes in this country to pass such a law, we should have enough votes to vote out negative candidates, which would have the desired effect of reducing negative speech without the chilling censorial effect of restricting it by law.

7. curious n str8

curious n str8 New Member

Albums:
    So why does political speech need the most protection? What your saying is that they all can lie to everyone and have no accountability? In other words Obama or anyone else for that matter, can say one thing to get elected.then do the complete opposite and have nothing to worry about other than not getting re-elected. Where is the truth and honor in getting elected on a platform of cheating and lies? And I can't see any negative effect if your restrict the candidates and parties if their telling just the TRUTH.:usa2:

#7 curious n str8, Oct 20, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  8. canuck_pa

Gold Member

Another reason I'm glad our elections are only 4-5 weeks.

9. mattbuddy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I'm in Colorado and they are crazy here as well since we are an important toss up state...even though I think were leaning Democrat, but I remember watching TV this weekend and there was 4 political ads in a row! There was one for Udall then for unions then for McCain and then Obama. I am getting so sick of these. 15 more days till the election! WOHOO!

10. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

You should see all the emails I get that are pure political nonsense. If you are someone who votes in democratic primaries like I do, you get bombarded nonstop with garbage from the national convention. It has reached the point of purely irritating. State facts not stupid unfounded rumors.

11. tazlovecock

tazlovecock New Member

:frown1:It is the same in Illinois The McCain Palin campaign is spreading their racism and hatred with their robo calls linking Obama to Muslim people. And now you got brainless idiots like Rush added to the list insighting racism by saying Powells endorsement to Obama is because he is black. I am white and am sick of all this bullshit the republican politicians are comming up with just to make Obama look bad. McCain Palin Rush and now this brainless Michelle Hartman ,Senator from Minn. are dividing this country. They are planting the seeds of hatred. I am not saying Obama is as clean as the driven snow but he is not using race to insight hatred like these clowns are doing. Have we had enough tragady in our history like John Kennedy, Bobby Kennedy, Martin Luther King? There is no excuse for this kind of dirty politics. Let John McCain do like all old soldiers do Just fade away Let Sarah Palin go back to Alaska hibernate with the moose and her red neck family Let Sen Michelle Hartman get a concession stand at the airport in Minn so she can keep an eye on Larry Craig in the mens room since she is so worried security and leave the country to people who know what they are doing.

12. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    Same here in Louisiana races. Steve Scalise who opposes gun control, abortion, same sex marraiges, healthcare reform, and anything else not hardlined right winged runs on his "strong conservative record". He runs ads of his opponent with pictures Obama and Rev. Wright - followed by the byline "OUR values, OUR America".

Like wtf?? Is that to say Obama and Wright (and by association, anyone who doesn't have "conservative" values) are UnAmerican?? The racist associations in his ads are not so subtle.

No less devoid of real substance is the campaign of Louisiana's John Kennedy for Senate (certainly not to be confused with THE John Kennedy -not in this or any other lifetime).

In his bid to oust Mary Landrieu he's used the same below the belt appeals to his constituency though less racially based. Instead his ads continually associate Landrieu with the word "liberal" as if it were supposed to be a BAD thing. (Personally I appreciate his cadidness because at least it lets me know not to vote for him).

For a moment even the national GOP was about to pull their financial support this guy, but made a last minute decision to stay the course on behalf of this candidate who pledges to "support strict constructionist judges in the mold of Roberts, Scalia, Thomas, and Alito".

(In other words, let these guys and the GOP get control, and you can guarantee the S. Court will be FUCKED.)

13. Notaguru2

Gold Member

Thats called the fairness doctrine. lol

14. Altitude

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    The presidential ads are bad enough, but mix in the senatorial race betw. Udall and Schaffer, our 4th dist. house race betw. Musgrave and Markey, and the 1,000 or so amendments we've got this election cycle and it seems as though about 75% of the ads are political, and the vast majority of those negative. Really makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside :p

15. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

oh!

judging from the title, I thought this was a thread of the great likelihood of an Obama Presidency

my bad!

(boy is my face red!:redface:)

16. Mensch1351

Gold Member

In the only other State that begins with "K"!
    I have a very simple solution to ALL this election crap we've been experiencing. Let the Primaries battle it all out until we have 2 candidates. Then from Sept 15th to first Tues of November EACH candidate (AND those of other parites) get 30 hours of FREE network time as a public service. AND NO OTHER POLITICAL ADVERTISING ALLOWED. If they can't make their case before the American public in 30 hours of our time, they don't deserve the highest office. Give them 3 town hall meeting formats to debate one another on issues. This would certainly bring down the COST of our elections. Then do 2 other very important things. Open the polls on the East Coast at 10 am, while the midwest opens at 9, the mountain states at 8 and the West Coast at 7 am (all polls all across America open at the same time). Then CLOSE them also at 9 am East coast, etc. That way we don't have this staggered polling time zone mess we've endured for forever it seems. And finally, divide the votes of the electoral college by whatever PERCENTAGE the candidate gets in that state. There's a hell of a lot of Republicans in New York and a hell of a lot of Democrats in Texas. This "winner takes all" bullshit is for the birds. We'd find out that we are a much more "purple" country than you may think! Also, instead of holding 50 "separate" state elections for electoral votes, we truly have a "national" election. I think we'd find ourselves much more focused on the issues and more excited about our voting process. I also believe we probably should vote over 2 or 3 days rather than just the "one day" wonder we get. There are just too many of us any more AND too many circumstances dictating whether or not people can GET to the polls on only that one day. Actually Oregon has a great system where registered voters get their ballots by mail! Anyway -- when our Representative gets re-elected this year I'm gonna push him REALLY hard for this kind of election reform -- it is WAY WAY over due! Any thoughts???

17. D_Harry_Crax

D_Harry_Crax Account Disabled

The FCC eliminated the Fairness Doctrine in 1987.

18. D_Harry_Crax

D_Harry_Crax Account Disabled

The issue of whether political speech NEEDS the most protection is moot. I teach First Amendment law, and political speech always has had the most protection under the First Amendment and still does. Any law that is passed that restricts political speech is challenged in court, and courts have struck down parts of various "election reforms" on the basis that Congress or state legislatures were infringing on political speech. The only way that there will be significantly greater restrictions on political speech is if the Constitution is amended; freedom of political speech has widespread support across the entire ideological spectrum of judges, and although by no means all judges are absolutists on political speech freedom, their political affiliations (liberal, moderate, or conservative) are not good predictors.

19. D_Rod Staffinbone

D_Rod Staffinbone Account Disabled

20. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted