A Touchy Locker Room Travesty

mattyacht

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I used to be a member at Prairie Life Center in Kansas. They are a full service gym with towel service and a snack bar. You name it, they have it. They cater to families with activities for children during the summer etc...In spite of a nursury and a family changing area, there is a sign upon entering the men's locker room that states, "Women Over Three Years of Age Not Allowed in Men's Locker Room". First of all, how many three year old women do you know? They are little children without a voice or a choice. When I first saw the sign, I shrugged it off thinking, "Who in their right mind?" Then one day, I was toweling off and I noticed a little girl, tall enough to get her own drink of water, came running throught the locker room to quench her thirst, while some nasty hairy old troll rounded the corner totally nude. If that girl spent the night at a neighbor's and came home telling her mom she saw here friend's father nude it would be a whole different story and it shouldn't be. I find this to be a blatant compromise with decency and highly inappropriate. I'm sure the person that came up with that accomodation is a proud Republican. House husband's think about the predicament you are putting yourself and fellow gym mates in!!!

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm not quite sure what a family room is, I imagine it's a communal area with lockable cubicles in so everyone can have their privacy. That's the ideal place for dad's who've taken their young daughters or mums who've taken their young sons to be able to change in privacy. I never let my husband take my daughter with him to anywhere where she'd have to change because I didn't want to risk her seeing strange naked guys, and I know it's a double standard but I never had a problem taking my son with me into the lady's changing room, although once in there the women were invariably in cubicles anyway.

SyddyKitty

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Uhm... little boys often have to change with their mothers in the family locker room. .-. The men's locker room, where I am, is ONLY for 16 and up... So dirty 15 year olds are in there with your wife and your little girl.

This is my "get over it" text.

jtwildone05

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
why can't the parents act like parents and use some freaking discretion and take their kids where they think is best jeez.

why can't the parents act like parents and use some freaking discretion and take their kids where they think is best jeez.

Because I would resent being forced to be an exhibit in your daughter's anatomy and sexuality class. I don't care how comfortable you or your daughter is with being in a roomful of naked adults of the opposite sex. I am not comfortable with your daughter hanging out in the men's locker room and if she walks in, I'm leaving that gym if management thinks it's OK.

mattyacht

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Oh please. Your post clearly shows that you are under the assumption that men are filthy beasts with horrid intentions that women are, by no means, capable of emulating.

Then I guess you could disrobe in front of a three year girl and not have any qualms about it? Smile your on "To Catch a Preditor."

SyddyKitty

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
You're incredibly funny. So, women in the family locker rooms are now predators? Oh wait, you could never imagine a woman being capable of such filth. Seriously, you've freaked out over what is absolutely nothing.

If the locker room allows it then get over it. If you don't want to, then find another gym. It's not hard to find a gym that kids don't go to. Stop worrying about your wallet by going to the YMCA (or whatever is aequivalent) and go to a more adult-centric exercise area. Go ahead an enforce such a childish double standard. Most gyms enforce this double standard. The "family" change room is closed off to men. And most family change rooms are just open locker rooms without any private cubicle-like areas.

Motherless children have to get changed with their father, if there is no other choice. And yes, those families do exist. Mothers don't always get custody.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i don't see the big deal with small children being exposed to the human anatomy, period. four and five year old girls need help getting dressed, and if they are at the gym/pool with dad, they need to use the men's locker room.

i don't understand the conflation of sexuality and nudity at all in this situation.

gjorg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I am not going any where near this post! It is so far out of the ballpark that its not even in the parking lot. Oh yeah, this Gym is in Kansas, enough said!

mattyacht

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Oh please. Your post clearly shows that you are under the assumption that men are filthy beasts with horrid intentions that women are, by no means, capable of emulating.

No I'm not implying that men are filthy beasts. I did state that the gym has a nursery, and a family changing area which is a private room with individual lockers where a man or a woman can take their child in there privately, lock the door and do all of their changing (adult and child), and open the door for the next adult with a child. HOWEVER, there are men that are so self-centered they will expose their three year old daughter(sometimes 5yo tall enough to get here own drink) to another man's nudity and put his fellow gym mates on the spot, putting them in a compromising position, all in the name of convenience. If that five year old daughter came home after a sleeping over at a friends and told her parents that she saw her friend's father naked, Child Protective Services would be on that father's ass like stink on shit. The former scenario is just as bad but presented as an accomodation of convenience. Does that shed a better light on the subject?

titan1968

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I agree with Jason. There was a bit of that at my former gym (and a lot of children at certain times of the day). I was fed up and after almost 17 years, I said goodbye to that gym.

As far as I'm concerned, girls have no business in the men's locker room (and vice versa). They should only be with their mothers in the women's locker room. No one should accept to be in an uncomfortable situation.

Maybe the time has come to open a few all-male gyms. There are a few private ones for women only in my area. I wonder why there aren't there any for men? Oh yes, double standards again....

Because I would resent being forced to be an exhibit in your daughter's anatomy and sexuality class. I don't care how comfortable you or your daughter is with being in a roomful of naked adults of the opposite sex. I am not comfortable with your daughter hanging out in the men's locker room and if she walks in, I'm leaving that gym if management thinks it's OK.

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I've never been in a gym with kids running through the locker rooms yet. Is that what's going on? Kids accidentally go into the wrong locker room sometimes. Is that all it was? I hardly think a kid would be scarred by this. It sounds like some adults might be though.

Trigon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
...Motherless children have to get changed with their father, if there is no other choice. And yes, those families do exist. Mothers don't always get custody.

How about asking a female staffer or a woman with children, if you can send your little girl in with them? Even somebody with no kids knows that's the only sensible thing to do. You damn sure don't take your little princess in a room full of naked male strangers, even if you're putting her in a little private booth.

And a fifteen year old boy's got no place changing up in a room full of naked females of any age,..even with his mum. No way do you want your underaged daughter looking over 15 yr old male anatomy--forget it. You'd want to sue the gym.