A Touchy Racial Subject - Can we discuss?

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Genetic differences aside, it could well be that black athletes in the US are so ubiquitous because, on an economic level, athletics is one of the few fields open to them.

The US is a racist society (though not more so than many, if not even most). Opportunities for young men of color, especially those suffering from a sub-par education (and, its accompaniment, a less-than-stellar intellect), resort to athletics because they can find real success there, as opposed to accounting or medicine.

I am not saying that they are less intelligent (not even a little bit, not at all), but no American with a shred of understanding as to how our educationsl system operates is clear that it rewards some at the expense of the many.

Saying that African Americans are naturally superior in athletics is like saying that they are more naturally inclined to music (because they were among the pioneers of jazz): it was a reflection of the times in which they lived combined with the limits of career opportunities available to them.

And denigrating the real work required to excell at sports by labeling it "genetic" is condescending and...well...a little bit racist.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Genetic differences aside, it could well be that black athletes in the US are so ubiquitous because, on an economic level, athletics is one of the few fields open to them.

Hi bucko...interesting point...i was hoping you'd show up in this thread...but interestingly enough, in the article posted at the bottom, research has shown that more than ever, successfull AA athletes are product of a stable middle class upbringing...guys like Grant Hill, Michael Jordan, Ken Griffey Jr. etc. etc.

The US is a racist society (though not more so than many, if not even most). Opportunities for young men of color, especially those suffering from a sub-par education (and, its accompaniment, a less-than-stellar intellect), resort to athletics because they can find real success there, as opposed to accounting or medicine.

true...and they can also get college scholarships to play those sports.

I am not saying that they are less intelligent (not even a little bit, not at all), but no American with a shred of understanding as to how our educationsl system operates is clear that it rewards some at the expense of the many.

Saying that African Americans are naturally superior in athletics is like saying that they are more naturally inclined to music (because they were among the pioneers of jazz): it was a reflection of the times in which they lived combined with the limits of career opportunities available to them.

It is not saying theyt are naturally superior in athletics, just that they are more naturally predisposed to be successfull in CERTAIN athletics, and less successful in others.

And denigrating the real work required to excell at sports by labeling it "genetic" is condescending and...well...a little bit racist.

Well, that's what the guy says in the book...he is saying that the vast majority is in fact hardwork and dedication...but there are some things you cannot put in if the natural ability is not there

as a famous track coach said..."you can't coach speed". Only 18% of speed can be trained or worked to develop.

A runner that simply does not have enough fast twitch fibers simply cannot be a top level sprinter...West African origins have the highest amount...East africans, ironically have the least...thusly why west africans are amazing sprinters and terrible distance runners...east africans are terrible sprinters and amazing distance runners

the difference is just between white and black...but between black and black, white and asian, black and asian etc.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

Amen.

PREACH!

HALLELUJAH

TAKE EM TO CHURCH!!!!

Let the church say amen. Brother Bucko will now lead us in a rendition of "We Shall Overcome".

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Hi bucko...interesting point...i was hoping you'd show up in this thread...but interestingly enough, in the article posted at the bottom, research has shown that more than ever, successfull AA athletes are product of a stable middle class upbringing...guys like Grant Hill, Michael Jordan, Ken Griffey Jr. etc. etc.

No problem, sweetheart :wink:

I'm at something of a handicap here because I truly am not interested in any sports, professional sports least of all.

And be it as it may regarding professional baseball, basketball and football players, and as obvious as it is that track-and-field events and marathons feature heavy black participations (and correspondingly, higher winner percentages), there are other sports that favor the same kind of "advantages" commonly attributed to AAs, but their participation in these sports is minimal.

Think swimming, gymnastics or hockey. Of course there are black athletes participating in these sports, and of course many of them excel. But there seems to be little interest in the AA community for any of those sports, and their presence as athletes (and fans) in these events are minimal, at best.

The same could be said for figure skating, diving, Greco-Roman wrestling and powerlifting (not body-building).

Jus' sayin'-

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

No problem, sweetheart :wink:

I'm at something of a handicap here because I truly am not interested in any sports, professional sports least of all.

And be it as it may regarding professional baseball, basketball and football players, and as obvious as it is that track-and-field events and marathons feature heavy black participations (and correspondingly, higher winner percentages), there are other sports that favor the same kind of "advantages" commonly attributed to AAs, but their participation in these sports is minimal.

Think swimming, gymnastics or hockey. Of course there are black athletes participating in these sports, and of course many of them excel. But there seems to be little interest in the AA community for any of those sports, and their presence as athletes (and fans) in these events are minimal, at best.

The same could be said for figure skating, diving, Greco-Roman wrestling and powerlifting (not body-building).

Jus' sayin'-

Thank you. I think your two last posts have pretty much summed up everything I could have said but so much more eloquently. Oh by the way I have been meaning to tell you this for years... You are absolutely gorgeous!

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
Genetic differences aside, it could well be that black athletes in the US are so ubiquitous because, on an economic level, athletics is one of the few fields open to them. I know a lot of white-ass rednecks who don't have a prayer like a snowbell in hell when it comes to learning/economic opportunity. The local factory/garage is their only choice in life. Whose fault is that?

Amen.

The US is a racist society (though not more so than many, if not even most). Opportunities for young men of color, especially those suffering from a sub-par education (and, its accompaniment, a less-than-stellar intellect), resort to athletics because they can find real success there, as opposed to accounting or medicine. Yep, some goes for a lot of white-ass rednecks, except athletics is even out the door for most of them.

PREACH!

I am not saying that they are less intelligent (not even a little bit, not at all), but no American with a shred of understanding as to how our educationsl system operates is clear that it rewards some at the expense of the many. The American educational system is highly flawed and unfair because it encourages schools to focus primarily on sports programs, not academics.

HALLELUJAH

TAKE EM TO CHURCH!!!!

And denigrating the real work required to excell at sports by labeling it "genetic" is condescending and...well...a little bit racist. Americans of all races idolize athletes - white or black - a hell of a lot more than your white-ass acountant/chemist/translator/doctor.

Let the church say amen. Brother Bucko will now lead us in a rendition of "We Shall Overcome".

Life is hard for most people, not matter what your race, religion or creed. No one has group has a monopoly on suffering. As soon as we start to give more sympathy to one group over another, bitterness ensues. Unity doesn't begin with saying, "I suffer more than you." We are all humans who suffer. Amen.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Life is hard for most people, not matter what your race, religion or creed. No one has group has a monopoly on suffering. As soon as we start to give more sympathy to one group over another, bitterness ensues. Unity doesn't begin with saying, "I suffer more than you." We are all humans who suffer. Amen.

yes but it's ignorant to deny that certain groups are subject to certain hardships more than others. i'm not saying anyone suffers more than anyone, but it's VERY true that certain groups experience things more than others. minorities make up an astronomical amount of the lower class. i think it's a safe bet that while raping anyone sux, women may have a monopoly on being victims of that crime. saying "everybody suffers the same" is blind to facts. no one's suffering is worse, but, by numbers, some groups suffer CERTAIN HARDSHIPS more than others.

didn't the jews have a monopoly on the holocaust??
don't women have a monopoly on sexual harassment??
this could go on for days, ignoring that certain people suffer in some areas more than others is insensitive and blind, although easier to digest as it requires little thought or consideration.

Last edited:

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I look forward to your opinions :smile:

I heard that the slave trade weeded out weakness and promoted hardiness (especially in hot conditions with limited water) through overcrowded slave vessels.

that is precisely the kind of ignorant comment i was hoping would not surface in this thread.

please keep it to yourself.

that is not a theory, surviving in the hold of a slave ship does not mean one's offspring will become a great athlete.

this is a theory about natural genetics and body types.

You said looked forward to opinions, then attacked JN for submitting one possible factor. Not cool. Of course there are natural genetic differences but if you're talking about African Americans you cannot entirely discount the effect the slave trade had on the black population in America.

It was a distasteful practice but it is a fact of history. It isn't racist to discuss history.

No, there mere act of having survived the journey does not mean anything genetically. However, being true that slave traders would put captured slaves overboard for a variety of reasons (ship moving too slow, sitting too low in the water, not enough rations), it stands to reason they would have selected to keep the strongest/fittest as they would fetch the higher prices. This is one way athletic ability could have been selected for.

Similarly distasteful but historical fact is that the slave owners viewed their slaves as livestock and bred them as such. Some slaves were selectively bred for the purpose of strengthening certain characteristics. This is another way athletic ability could have been selected for.

Also in some cases white slave owners bred with slaves themselves which introduced European genes into the mix. Another factor worth considering with regard to African Americans in sport.

You are correct in that none of the above relates to thigh to calf ratios and running but then running isn't the only sport. Black athletes are a force to be reckoned with in the NFL but I don't think a West African sprinter would fare particularly well on a football field. Less so an East African distance runner (read: snapped like twig).

If you're going to talk about blacks in sport it's worth considering or at the very least allowing, sans attack, all possible factors contibuting toward performance in all relevant sports.

Last edited:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Thank you. I think your two last posts have pretty much summed up everything I could have said but so much more eloquently. Oh by the way I have been meaning to tell you this for years... You are absolutely gorgeous!

:redface:

Does this mean that I finally get a mod on my friend list?

Wyldgusechaz

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It is patently, intellectually fucking dishonest to pretend there are not differences in athletic abilities, intelligence, spatial perception, fast twitch muscle fibers, bone densities, tooth anatomy, hair texture, skin tone, eye color, height, weight, visual acuity and a zillion other genetic factors developed over 18000 generations. PERIOD.

West African, NOT African American, are well designed for explosive strength movements. The world record holder in the 100 meters is Jamaican of West African descent. ALL the middle and long distance running records are held by Africans of the highlands. Ethiopia and Kenya, in fact a small area of Kenya.

Go to the Yucatan. Those Mayans are 5 feet tall and could never be sprinters or basketball players.

Europeans and Asians are the smartest people on the planet. Argue till you are blue or black in the face. It won't change a thing. Sub Saharan Africans are just not quite as intelligent. Measure it any fucking way you want, they come out a little less than whites and Asians. Whites come out a bit behind Asians, too. Until we accept that over 18000 generations, with populations evolving under significantly different environments, there might be some small but real differences between races, we are being the worst fucking liars and bull shitters there are. There are fucking rainbow trout that have evolved in about 200 years in ways different than their original stock, just cuz they live in different water conditions. To expect that over tens of thousands of years, homo sapiens that lived on the African Savanna might not be different than homo sapiens living in the ice of Norway, the deserts of the American Southwest, and homo sapiens living in Hawaii is a joke. An absolute joke.

However, I will never forget a saying I read years ago : "White kids grow up wanting to be President of the United States and the skills they learn serve them well in life. Blacks grow up wanting to be Willie Mays, and when they fall short those skills do them no good." If Barak Obama becomes President that may help.

But if you ask a black kid to go up against a
Chinese kid in math and science, forget it. If you ask the Chinese kid to go up against the Black kid in the sprints, forget it too.

It still does not change the fact that there are differences in the races.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It is patently, intellectually fucking dishonest to pretend there are not differences in athletic abilities, intelligence, spatial perception, fast twitch muscle fibers, bone densities, tooth anatomy, hair texture, skin tone, eye color, height, weight, visual acuity and a zillion other genetic factors developed over 18000 generations. PERIOD.

in some of those areas the differences are real, in others you're pulling shit out of your ass, putting it on a plate and telling me it's filet mignon

West African, NOT African American, are well designed for explosive strength movements.

this is based on...... ????

An absolute joke.

yeah, that's what i consider your post. except the joke is enflammatory and rude and unfunny.

"White kids grow up wanting to be President of the United States and the skills they learn serve them well in life. Blacks grow up wanting to be Willie Mays, and when they fall short those skills do them no good." If Barak Obama becomes President that may help.

rude and untrue. disrespectful and discriminatory.

But if you ask a black kid to go up against a
Chinese kid in math and science, forget it. If you ask the Chinese kid to go up against the Black kid in the sprints, forget it too.

more rudeness and disrespect. my boyfriend who is black was a mathlete champion for his district. black people who are book smart isn't a myth, it's a reality, even if you THINK it's rare.

It still does not change the fact that there are differences in the races.

true but you're stretching it to the point of rude generalizations and racist remarks, though i don't expect you to recognize it as most racist comments made don't get recognized by the person making them. your perspective is ENTIRELY narrow and your opinions of people are so one-sided i can't believe your head hasn't exploded from the fact that the world has gray areas and isn't as narrow as you perceive it to be.

lbpunk77

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Why really should anyone care about anyones skin color, if he/she is the one that the majority of the people beleive he/she is the one who will bring this mess of a country back to somewhat of a decent respectable place on the world stage then who the f**k cares about skin tone?

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
who the f**k cares about skin tone?

lots of people, read wyldgus' post and youl'll see that some people have ill opinions of different colored people. if i believed all mexicans were dumb (i don't, making an example) i'd be scared to think one might become the president.

it's called head-stuck-up-the-ass-itis. the head is so far up the but that it's physically impossible to accept the complications of the world since thought cannot travel without adequate oxygen so people with hsutai have to form simple thoughts and perceptions of the world, usually based on misconceptions.

IE all black people are thug
all asians are smart
all women are subservient

is easier to accept than

some black people are thug, some aren't, so are some white people
all asians aren't smart, some people are smart but not asian
some women are strong and bold and take charge better than men do.

Last edited:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally Posted by marleyisalegend

Genetic differences aside, it could well be that black athletes in the US are so ubiquitous because, on an economic level, athletics is one of the few fields open to them. I know a lot of white-ass rednecks who don't have a prayer like a snowbell in hell when it comes to learning/economic opportunity. The local factory/garage is their only choice in life. Whose fault is that?

Amen.

The US is a racist society (though not more so than many, if not even most). Opportunities for young men of color, especially those suffering from a sub-par education (and, its accompaniment, a less-than-stellar intellect), resort to athletics because they can find real success there, as opposed to accounting or medicine. Yep, some goes for a lot of white-ass rednecks, except athletics is even out the door for most of them.

PREACH!

I am not saying that they are less intelligent (not even a little bit, not at all), but no American with a shred of understanding as to how our educationsl system operates is clear that it rewards some at the expense of the many. The American educational system is highly flawed and unfair because it encourages schools to focus primarily on sports programs, not academics.

HALLELUJAH

TAKE EM TO CHURCH!!!!

And denigrating the real work required to excell at sports by labeling it "genetic" is condescending and...well...a little bit racist. Americans of all races idolize athletes - white or black - a hell of a lot more than your white-ass acountant/chemist/translator/doctor.

I'm not sure how much of your quote from Marley you think was him, and how much was me. I did notice that you seem to have addressed all of your comments to him. He was agreeing with what I said, but the bold-in-black comments were/are mine.

Your responses carry a heavy whiff of Angry White Guy, and I'm sure that there's been much in your life to make you feel justified taking that stance.

I grew up in a working-class, white town 15 miles south of Boston. When I say "white", I mean that, until 10th grade, I had no classmates in the entire school who weren't white. There were three AAs in my graduating class (of over 500 in 1978) and one Latino. People think of Boston-area residents as Frasier Crain, but of my neighbors were much more Archie Bunker.

Well over 60% of my classmates came from households that today would be labeled "disadvantaged", if not downright dysfunctional: alcoholic, abusive parents disinclined to foster any interest in academia. I know mine were. The percentage of those who went on to college after graduating was abysmally low and the drop-out rate was really high.

I paid little attention to school sports because, as I've said earlier, they never interested me. But I can say that in my Junior year the school play was almost canceled because the budget didn't allow for cheerleader uniforms and the play. Our faculty adviser/director forewent whatever pittance they'd have paid her, and we had several bake sales to raise the required funds, all without administration involvement or support.

Despite being the pride of the school, none of the sports teams actually won much, or at least very often. Maybe they didn't try enough, or maybe they were out-matched by teams in the (equally white) district. Despite having a terrible record, "pep rallies" and the like were still held every year, interrupting classes. To suggest that the student's time might be better spent actually learning things seemed pretty much absurd.

I left Weymouth immediately after my last day of school (going back to attend commencement for my parents) and never looked back. But life plays funny games sometimes, and in 1995, 17 years after leaving Weymouth, I met someone who grew up there, less than two miles from where I did, in fact. He was younger enough than I so that I'd never actually met him (though I do remember his sister, who was my age). He'd stayed there until he was 28 before moving to Cape Cod, but kept so many friends from Weymouth that, one we started seriously dating, I was quickly reacquainted with many I hadn't seen in years.

Their jobs (when they had jobs) were totally dead-end, mindless sorts of things, or honest trade jobs that were not always steady. Many had been in and out of jail (or prison). Most still smoked weed every day, which did little to help their motivation to better their lives.

But to the last, whether male or female, I'd hear stories about how their lives had been wrecked by Affirmative Action or other types of minority preferential situations. It was never that they were overweight, unmotivated slobs: it was the "f*cking n*ggers" who'd robbed them of their chance in life.

I'm not drawing any undue comparisons here. I don't know you personally and don't pay much attention to your posts: there's always too much to read here at LPSG. What I am saying is that, contrary to popular myth, the playing field in the US has never been level. But opportunities await those who have the creativity and curiosity to find them.

I never went to college. In my first years of independence, I was a security guard, a dishwasher, a short-order cook and a barback at a disco (and I only got the last job because the manager found me attractive), and stocking shelves at a liquor store.

Finding retail, even on that level, the most appealing, I went to work at a department store. Two year's experience there got me in a menswear boutique. Two years there got me a shot selling furniture with a company that "took a risk" on me.

Within five years of working (very very hard) for that furniture company, I went from "new recruit with no training or experience" to managing their flagship store on Madison Ave in NYC. Because I was never anything but unapologetically gay, I suffered from extreme homophobia (denied promotions due me because I was "too far out of the mainstream": code for too gay) but also benefited because other people within the organization presumed that being gay meant that I had a "flair" for design.

But I do have to say that if I'd been a black kid with the same personality, advantages and shortcomings, I sincerely doubt that I'd have found someone who's "take a risk" on me.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It was never that they were overweight, unmotivated slobs: it was the "f*cking n*ggers" who'd robbed them of their chance in life.

But I do have to say that if I'd been a black kid with the same personality, advantages and shortcomings, I sincerely doubt that I'd have found someone who's "take a risk" on me.

BBucko I really like you, it's hard to suggest self-victimizing blacks when someone with white skin recongnizes it. Are there self-victimizing blacks? Hell yes, are there blacks who do nothing much like the whites who do nothing and blame someone else for their problems? Hell yes. Unfortunately, this is used to argue against the reality that, though we're not chained up anymore or being sold at auction, we're not (yet) entirely equal, otherwise not one fucking person would mention "black" in this election because, theoretically, his color shouldn't matter. But it does. Many people view blacks as foreign creatures that need to be studied and probed with statistics and surveys because, I guess, you think that we have different desires, hang-ups, etc.. from white people and are akin to aliens that are a completely different life form. I wish I had a dollar for every "why do black guys" question. Huh? Why is there a spokesperson for black people? Why can't each individual be given their own merit instead of clumping us together like a science project with no variables. Read some of the threads, people talk about sex with a black guy like it's supposed to be different from sex with a white guy. Unless your orgasms vary by your partners skin-tone, there's NO FUCKING DIFFERENCE. Same body parts, and the differences in technique are from person to person, not race to race.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
BBucko I really like you, it's hard to suggest self-victimizing blacks when someone with white skin recongnizes it. Are there self-victimizing blacks? Hell yes, are there blacks who do nothing much like the whites who do nothing and blame someone else for their problems? Hell yes. Unfortunately, this is used to argue against the reality that, though we're not chained up anymore or being sold at auction, we're not (yet) entirely equal, otherwise not one fucking person would mention "black" in this election because, theoretically, his color shouldn't matter. But it does. Many people view blacks as foreign creatures that need to be studied and probed with statistics and surveys because, I guess, you think that we have different desires, hang-ups, etc.. from white people and are akin to aliens that are a completely different life form. I wish I had a dollar for every "why do black guys" question. Huh? Why is there a spokesperson for black people? Why can't each individual be given their own merit instead of clumping us together like a science project with no variables. Read some of the threads, people talk about sex with a black guy like it's supposed to be different from sex with a white guy. Unless your orgasms vary by your partners skin-tone, there's NO FUCKING DIFFERENCE. Same body parts, and the differences in technique are from person to person, not race to race.

Try though they may, they've yet to find real genetic evidence for the differences we call "race", aside from obvious facial characteristics and skin tone.

We are all so much more alike than we are different.

And as to sex: there is no such thing as "black sex" or "white sex". I've slept with scores (maybe hundreds) of black guys over the years. The only thing I've ever noticed is a subtle taste difference (and no, it wasn't cocobutter :biggrin1: ), and it's not exactly universal. I actually look forward to tasting that flavor...yum.