A US flag can be too big... right?

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes, thank you DC and dong, I have an inability to state my opinions succintly, and at times coherently. But that's what I meant.
<...>
Hell, on this board I'm probably far-right.
I must be contagious, and I'm not sure if my brain is outpacing my fingers, or the other way around. I've noticed this in 3 other threads now, that I'm not able to articulate exactly what I want, and between 2 or 3 of us, we finally make a unified point.

As far as "left, centrist, or right", my liberalism and conservatism are mixed, depending upon the specific topic. On social issues, radical would probably be a good label. Fiscal issues, probably right-of-center. And Constitutional issues, right-of-right, possibly reactionary. You are probably more centrist than you realize, but I wouldn't debate the description you give yourself.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I must be contagious, and I'm not sure if my brain is outpacing my fingers, or the other way around. I've noticed this in 3 other threads now, that I'm not able to articulate exactly what I want, and between 2 or 3 of us, we finally make a unified point.

I've found the same lately, certainly since Xmas. Too much work, too little play, or maybe age catching up and frying my remaining brain cells. Most likely it's a combination.

snoozan said:
This is also what I was getting at. I moderate a political forum with a lot dittohead wingnuts, and there is a subset of the aforementioned who have taken ownership of the flag as the symbol of their true patriotism (as opposed to others' false patriotism). Mind you, I am not saying that all or even most conservatives think this way. It's a specific subset of people. Hell, on this board I'm probably far-right.

I am more conservative about some things and more liberal about others than I was when I was say 18. But political labels aside I think I am more concerned with the growing lack of personal responsibility, creeping interference by Government in areas which don't concern them on dubious grounds and the feeling that, increasingly, people seem so.....angry and vindictive and judgemental so much of the time, with so little time for the little, often subtle interpersonal skills that make life pleasant. Hmmm a little off topic but not for the first time.

Maybe it's just me.:rolleyes:

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Maybe we should create an identity that includes all three of us. Our opinions will be discussed in PM and only posted when all three of us have ratified said reply. Wait, that sounds like more work than actually making a coherent post. Damn. :biggrin1:

As far as "left, centrist, or right", my liberalism and conservatism are mixed, depending upon the specific topic. On social issues, radical would probably be a good label. Fiscal issues, probably right-of-center. And Constitutional issues, right-of-right, possibly reactionary. You are probably more centrist than you realize, but I wouldn't debate the description you give yourself.
I'm mixed too in terms of my opinions being liberal or conservative by current standards. I have been called centrist or moderate many times, I think, because my views fail to fit neatly into one camp or the other-- though I think those terms are disingenuous since many of my views are far one way or the other. I don't identify with either party in the US, and I don't really identify with any sort of political label.

I've found the same lately, certainly since Xmas. Too much work, too little play, or maybe age catching up and frying my remaining brain cells. Most likely it's a combination.

I blame it on my son. He has stolen my brain. I've been told that my brain function will slowly restore itself as he gets older but that will probably be negated by the fact that I am getting old.

I am more conservative about some things and more liberal about others than I was when I was say 18. But political labels aside I think I am more concerned with the growing lack of personal responsibility,
And yet, you're the one in the thick of it with me trying to get people not the lambaste that woman with the toddler madala destroyer based on a minute of video. Funny. Honestly, I feel the same way in terms of personal responsibility as well as community and familial responsibility.

creeping interference by Government in areas which don't concern them on dubious grounds
Same here, though I don't know what specifically you're referring to, but in general that's one of my problems with the current administration, which, for all of the Repulican talk of small government, has spent a ton of money and has been consistently restrictive of individual liberty.

Shit, is that going to start a political argument?

and the feeling that, increasingly, people seem so.....angry and vindictive and judgemental so much of the time, with so little time for the little, often subtle interpersonal skills that make life pleasant. Hmmm a little off topic but not for the first time.
It would be nice for everyone if we just stepped back and re-learned some consideration and manners, wouldn't it? In a very general sense, it seems like people become less and less compassionate towards one another. I think a lot of that is because people are becoming increasingly more isolated from direct contact with one another, but that's off topic too.

Anyway, back to big giant flags and... big giant penises.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Maybe we should create an identity that includes all three of us. Our opinions will be discussed in PM and only posted when all three of us have ratified said reply. Wait, that sounds like more work than actually making a coherent post. Damn. :biggrin1:

Posting by committee....nah.:biggrin1:

I'm mixed too in terms of my opinions being liberal or conservative by current standards. I have been called centrist or moderate many times, I think, because my views fail to fit neatly into one camp or the other-- though I think those terms are disingenuous since many of my views are far one way or the other. I don't identify with either party in the US, and I don't really identify with any sort of political label.

I think trying to pidgeonhole people into such neat compartments will only work on those who lack the ability to assess situations on their merits. My view on a given issue can vary depending on the many variables which may surround it and the consequences of any actions. I suppose one could call that fudging, I prefer to think of it as applying experience to real world situations. Certainly some things are pretty constant, i.e the fundementals but, as they say the devil is in the detail.

I blame it on my son. He has stolen my brain. I've been told that my brain function will slowly restore itself as he gets older but that will probably be negated by the fact that I am getting old.

I'm sure that won't be the case, though I once read that while the concept is awful the actuality of losing one's mind is not necessarily unpleasant. Of course they could have been nuts.:biggrin1:

And yet, you're the one in the thick of it with me trying to get people not the lambaste that woman with the toddler madala destroyer based on a minute of video. Funny. Honestly, I feel the same way in terms of personal responsibility as well as community and familial responsibility.

The woman should accept responsibilty for the toddler's actions and once she exited left we have no idea what happened, none, zip nada yet almost without exception it's concluded that because he wasn't torn limb from limb live on camera - he went unpunished. The problem you (I think) and I you had was that many were judging her from a standpoint of either no practical experience of parenting, or perhaps misplaced idealism and all based on an isolated incident.

Of course snap judgments made by 'experts' thinking they know everything about the people and the events and people based on in this case 60 sec of CCTV footage is a symptom of the judgmentalism I alluded to. In this case one such poster especially springs to mind. They may be right, they may be wrong but what made me comment is not to defend the woman but the fallacy of jumping to definitive conclusions on such flimsy evidence. If I were ever on trial I would hate have such people as my jurors.

While it's undeniable the toddler stomped on the sand, almost everything else is supposition. As for the poster who suggested - "I hope that the video keeps getting played all over the world so the mother is embarassed about her poor parenting skills". May he hang his 'Christian' head in shame. Sadly in my experience such people rarely see the irony of their stance and those quickest to judge are the slowest to repent.:rolleyes:

So much angst over a toddler's moment of fun, as I'm sure he saw it.:biggrin1::eek:

It would be nice for everyone if we just stepped back and re-learned some consideration and manners, wouldn't it? In a very general sense, it seems like people become less and less compassionate towards one another. I think a lot of that is because people are becoming increasingly more isolated from direct contact with one another, but that's off topic too.

Yes, it would and while I think the causes for it's absence are varied, increasing isolation is no doubt a factor. While I'm not hopeful for improvements any time soon, I don't think the problems are insurmountable or irreversible.

OK, back on topic; yes the damn flag is too big.:rolleyes:

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think we're both agreeing that, whether politically or otherwise, making judgements based on limited information is both rather prevalent and leads to erroneous conclusions which is never good. The devil is most definitely in the details.

About the flag, maybe the dealership should supply cars in red, white, and blue and arrange the parking lot such that entire freaking dealership is one huge flag and take its prospective customers in low-flying aircraft to see how patriotic they are.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
...The devil is most definitely in the details.

When not in a blue dress, certainly.

About the flag, maybe the dealership should supply cars in red, white, and blue and arrange the parking lot such that entire freaking dealership is one huge flag and take its prospective customers in low-flying aircraft to see how patriotic they are.

You know, that's a silly enough idea I bet one will do just that. I can see the ads now:

"Visit America's most patriotic car dealership, so patriotic we're visible from space." :biggrin1:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Maybe we should create an identity that includes all three of us. Our opinions will be discussed in PM and only posted when all three of us have ratified said reply. Wait, that sounds like more work than actually making a coherent post. Damn.
Sounds like being a moderator. Let's do it and see if we can get flamed!
Have you ever seen the old "Brain Damage" act by Bill Cosby? The whole premise of the thing is that parents get brain damage from their children. It's hilarious, I recommend it.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yep, I like American Flags and pick up trucks. the bigger the better for both. I guess that makes me as neanderthal neoconservative as someone put it. Just don't forget the fat dick that goes with all that.

It ain't fat enough to plug up the hole in the ozone layer.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
who buys a car because there is a big american flag flying?! You're making the argument that no business should fly an american flag.

The relevant point here is that the dealership owner went for an oversized flag specifically because, "The building's oversized, the sign's oversized, the cars are oversized." He got it not to "be patriotic", but to put his place on the map, so to speak. It's only there to catch attention and, he hopes, increase sales.

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And besides, seeing it too often can reduce its meaning, IMO. It's "ceremonial deism" -- that is, when you have something that's intended for some deep, significant meaning (a song, object, ceremony, or whatever), and you use it all the time, its uniqueness and "sense of occasion" becomes diluted, and it becomes just another thing to see or do.

In the case of national flags -- if you see it everywhere all the time, it just becomes part of the scenery, like trees, windows or SUVs.

If I owned a car dealership, would I fly a US flag? I'm not sure. If I did, it would be because of my military service, so I'd probably end up flying flags of the service branches alongside it, too. But, that would look pretty silly, especially since it's just a car dealership instead of a VFW or Legion post -- so I'd likely end up not flying any flags at all.