A word about Speedos

curious_angel

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Nominating this for most semantically stupid and pointless thread of the year.
There's still hope.......
Oh-kay....I think somepeople have too much time on their hands. I think for this long weekend I suggest everybody put their 'tippy tappy' machines away, go outside and smell the fresh air. Wearing 'a Speedo swimsuit' or a pair of 'Speedos'...whichever may be the gramatically correct way of command.
Sod the grammar. :tongue:

This thread is useless without pics.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Ok, so I'm not normally one to be a sanctimonious prick. Actually ... that's not true; sometimes I love nothing more than being a sanctimonious prick.
Anyway.
I just wanted to say that ...
IT'S SPEEDOS NOT SPEEDO.
We (Australians) invented the damn things and we get to decide what they're called, ok? Good.
And it's really not surprising that we use the plural. After all, when did you last wear a jean? or a trouser? or a pant? short? jodhpur? calvin? brief? chino? chap? budgie smuggler (that's another Australianism)?
Have you worked it out yet? Two-legged (or -holed) garments worn on your lower half come in the plural. And only in the plural. Thanks
Here endeth the lesson.

I think you're right.
You would say ... or at least I would say ... Danny was out there, pretty proud in his speedos.
Just as one would say with jeans, trousers, pants, shorts, jodhpurs, briefs, chinos and chaps.
The best example you use, though, is the calvins.
There's not even an idiom for calvin, and yet 'calvin' alone, sans 's,' just feels wrong to my ear.

unzipped

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
On Facebook it is called Speedo International...... but also, Levi is a corporate name...and we button up the fly of our "levis", right? So we must cram our massive junk in our "speedos"????

Witlof

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

Oh, sure, the brand name is speedo, I have no problem with that. But the garment is speedos. As in "his speedos were so tight I could count the inches". The Levi analogy is perfect. No one (I think) says "he looks really hot in his Levi", you just instinctively use the plural.
And I'm sorry for starting a grammar nerd post - I'm just that sort of guy.

S

SirConcis

I agree that we commonly make lower body attire plurial. A pair of pants ? It is just one pant. Pair of underwear ? Just one.

I think that perhaps one reason for the plurial is that we tend to change them often, so there is an implied "more than one". But if you only have 1 speedo bathing suit, can you really say "my speedos" ????

I think we need to go to the supreme court to have this decided. It is a very important question. :)

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
I agree that we commonly make lower body attire plurial. A pair of pants ? It is just one pant. Pair of underwear ? Just one.
Didn't you just contradict yourself? Following that logic, shouldn't you have said "pair of underwears"?

BTW, do you think I'd look hotter in a pair of jockstraps or in a pair of speedos? :cool:

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Singular: kilt, hose, skirt, loincloth, diaper, jumpsuit, leotard

"Here in Podunk, even though the name of the garment is technically a kilt, we refer to them in the plural. I tell my mate how wonderful it feels to have my kilts on!"