A world first: Vaccine helps prevent HIV infection

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by clear, Sep 24, 2009.

1. clear

clear Member

Albums:
    A world first: Vaccine helps prevent HIV infection
    By MARILYNN MARCHIONE and MICHAEL CASEY, Associated Press Writers – Thu Sep 24, 3:27 am ET

BANGKOK – For the first time, an experimental vaccine has prevented infection with the AIDS virus, a watershed event in the deadly epidemic and a surprising result. Recent failures led many scientists to think such a vaccine might never be possible.

Article Here:A world first: Vaccine helps prevent HIV infection - Yahoo! News

For those who follow, this is a very encouraging (borderline exciting) report.

Ciao-

T.D.:cool:

2. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I remember reading about a break through a while ago, and I was wondering what became of it. I think it was something along the lines of that they found what part of the virus couldn't change. I wonder if they are related.

3. B_theOtherJJ

B_theOtherJJ New Member

I am just worried that news of this sort (although wonderful) will encourage an increase in UNSAFE sexual practice BEFORE the vaccine is ever perfected ,tested mainstream and released to the public. This can result in an increase in HIV infection before a vaccine is ever released...

4. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Fom the article
    Umm...questions...

Were all of the volunteers equally exposed to HIV+ infection?
    Is this even ethical?

What if the difference is due to use vs non use of the condoms?

I'm not seeing adequate variable controls in this study for the results to be considered valid and in order for the controls to be valid you'd have to deliberately infect all the subjects which would be insanely inhumane.

Separate question. Being as HIV is a blood-borne virus is there no way to test vacine efficacy on blood samples? Why is a live subject needed?

5. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    seems like a shoddy study at best...even if it were a legitimate analysis, still 10 years off....

6. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    I agree completely. The philosophy on the part of those conducting the test would seem to be that the study participants were all "doomed" from the beginning. The only way to test this vaccine is to discourage the use of condoms if not eliminate them all together.

And I don't see how use of a control group would be anything but deeply, unspeakably inhumane.

The reason is that there are so many co-factors in the human body that are not found in a petri dish. Nor can computer simulations adequately predict all possible variations: they just aren't advanced enough yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted