A World Leader Speaks the Unspeakable on Iran

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I don't recall anyone in a position of responsibility in the west proposing to "nuke North Korea" or "nuke Iran" in a first strike.

True enough. Do you think you ever will see that happen?

I think you'll find that possibly no one since the Cuban missile crisis has offered to explicitly be the state to make a nuclear first strike.

I have read pundits speculate that a tactical nuclear weapon might be hypothetically necessary to demolish an Iranian fortified underground facility that conventional weaponry would be unable to decisively destroy.

I am willing to entertain that that possibility would be justified by the aggressor as a "principled" limited use of the technology. Following an ultimatum, if it's by the US. Without a specific warning, if it's Israel, since they have already stated their opposition to nuclear facilities in Iran.

meatpackingbubba

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
It is highly unlikely that any nation with a rational leadership will opt for a first-strike nuclear attack. Even in the case of Israel and its possible strike against enrichment facilities in Iran, surely it would be using conventional weapons.

The biggest concern is a state such as Pakistan and the possibility of a coup d'etat in which extremists take control of the government. But even there, the military has a history of professionalism and independence and there are supposedly reasonably secure controls in place to prevent the unauthorized use of their nuclear arsenal.

In any case, the concept of mutual assured destruction which prevailed for more than forty years during the cold war and which kept nuclear weapons in their silos should prevent all but the most insane of leaders from launching such a strike, especially when there are plently of lethal non-nuclear options at hand.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I don't recall anyone in a position of responsibility in the west proposing to "nuke North Korea" or "nuke Iran" in a first strike.

It may be a relic from the cold war but I believe the U.S. (and possibly the U.K. as well) has never denied the possibility it might be the first to use atomic weapons in a strike against a foe. Indeed, the U.S. already has.

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It may be a relic from the cold war but I believe the U.S. (and possibly the U.K. as well) has never denied the possibility it might be the first to use atomic weapons in a strike against a foe. Indeed, the U.S. already has.
"Never denied" doesn't imply intent to a first strike. What meatpackingbubba wrote remains valid.

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
"Never denied" doesn't imply intent to a first strike. What meatpackingbubba wrote remains valid.

It's valid, but in a way irrelevant. No nation is going to spell it out. And likewise, no nation is going to promise to never ever be the first to strike.

Non aggression pacts are always conditional.

Defensive motivations can be mustered to justify striking first in other forms of warfare. Nuclear arms are merely weapons of last resort.