Ab Fab Appreciation Thread

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Well, I'm not sure if this thread is ever going to take off....but this has to be one of the best TV comedies ever!

Eddy'n'Pats

I remember seeing the first ever showing of 'Absolutely Fabulous' on BBC back in 94/95? As a big fan then of Jennifer Saunders (at this point a very well known other-half of a very well known British female TV comedy duo), I had simply had to check it out 'darrrlings', also hearing that Joanna Lumley (being a very well known 40-50 something British actress, best known for her role as Purdy in 'The New Avengers' back in the 60's) had a main part definitely intrigued.

Anyhow..at the end of this first episode Eddie is locked out by her daughter Saffy for coming home totally slaughtered, the camera slowly closes in on the Kitchen window....it is dark and we (the camera) are looking outside from the Kitchen...Eddie's face appears (she is COMPLETELY wrecked), just hovering above the window ledge, we hear a

' Sweeeeeetie....darrrrliing....let mamma in .....'

...silence...then again..a bit louder....

'SWeeetie...darrling...let me in....'

......then increasing in decibels...

'SWEEtieeee......DAARrrrlliiing....LEt me In'

....finally at full decibels..

'SWEEETIEDARLINGLETMEIN!'

...man...fucking hilarious, I was totally hooked. Had it's (very few!) weak moments, but brightened by so many absolutely classic comedy moments. Over the years....(and by all means it seems to keep coming back with new fresh series)...Ab Fab had many 'guest' cameos...Elton John, Twiggy, Britt Ekland, Christian Dior, Christian Lacroix (!), Jean-Paul Gaultier, Kathy Burke, Kate O'Mara (as Patsy's deranged sister) Minnie Driver to name a few.

So listen up schweeties.....crack open the Bolly, swig back the Stolli, light up a spliff, snort a line, and APPRECIATE Edina 'buggery-bollocks' Monsoon and Patsy 'EddieEddieEddie' Stone!

Series 1 clips (mid 90's)

(you can watch more clips from this page on different series also).

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

ital8

Experimental Member
Media
Since I'm from the States, I had never seen that show until the late 90's (probably around '98). But it was aired on Comedy Central for a while, and well liked amongst Americans a.ka. Yanks. It was hilarious, and at the time I couldn't believe what they got away with.

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
LOVE Ab Fab!:biggrin1:

I've been hooked on it since the summer of '93. I remember the first episode I saw while trying on my back to school clothes on a Sunday in late August. It was the "Fashion" episode and the part that I loved best is when Edina is saying that her fashion show would be burned into the minds of all those in attendance for years to come. "Dior! Gucci! Lagerfeld!... names, names, names, darling!":tongue:

I also LOVED Magda's cockney accent! The ongoing insinuations that Patsy once had a sex change were also hilarious. No other show has made me laugh so hard!

The original three seasons and the wedding special were the best. The fourth season also had some hilarious moments. The fifth season and the New York special were less great. I think that there is also a holiday special but I've yet to see that. Ab Fab no longer comes out on basic cable but I own every season of it on DVD and I also have the wedding and New York specials on DVD. For some reason, unfortunately, the wedding special on DVD is a slightly different version than the one that aired on American television in 1996. It has a different song in the background when Bubble is getting Eddie up to snuff on "what's happening in 1996."

All in all though, I love Ab Fab and I have quoted it innumerable times in conversation since I first saw it back in 1993. Truly the mark of a great show!:biggrin1::tongue:

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

Account Disabled
Media
Absolutly my favourite show of all time ever.

When Pasty sets the kitchen on fire, When they go to France, When they go to Marocco and sell Saffy, When saffy writes the play about them or even when they skip forward to the future when they have aged and are about 80'ish.

I just could never pick one episode as my fav.

However it would have been nice if they had of found a role for Dawn French, ever if it was only the occasional apperance

D_Nick_Nibbler

Experimental Member
Media
Dave

Brilliant link to a brilliant comedy - one of the best British comedies ever!!! Favourite episode is Poor in Series 3 (Ithink) Eddie has a rant in a court after getting done for drink driving, shoplifting and attempted murder in one day.

Keep up the good work.