Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I would highly suggest reading "Why I hate Abdercrombie & Fitch" by Dwight A. McBride to anyone considering buying/wearing A&F. Especially if you are anything other than WASP. As homoerotic and strongly apealing as they seem to be, it deeply saddens me to still see them in operation. As a gay non-white man, I hate that people are so blind and shallow that they cannot see beyond the "hot" models and the sex appeal slathered all over their walls.

I suppose I might be called a hater or several other choice words for being so counter gay culture, but if you have truely read this essay and spoken to people who work there, and still buy their product, then I suppose we wouldn't see eye to eye on much anything else.

zawfi

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I would highly suggest reading "Why I hate Abdercrombie & Fitch" by Dwight A. McBride to anyone considering buying/wearing A&F. Especially if you are anything other than WASP.

Since I haven't read that and am unlikely to read it yet, would you mind giving me the punch line?

B_thickjohnny

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I missed the whole commando thing. Was there something in that photo I missed besides the fact that the top of the guys underwear was not visible? He's either gone commando or wearing low rise undies.

yngjock20

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Abercrombie & Fitch Is the epitome of "sex sells."

Their main focus is to turn you on enough to either a.) buy the clothes in hopes of looking like the models wearing them

or

b.) buy the clothes to attract the models that sell them.

This same tactic was perfected by beer companies in the late 80s early 90s.

Gay men and minorities are some of their biggest demographics as far as sales and they know that whatever seems "intangible" to them will make them want it even more. I.E. hot, young white models plastered on everything and given jobs as "Brand Representatives."

Not to go against my own statements, but as of late their hiring qualifications have broadened to include minorities...so it's just the ugly people that get left out now.

goldenwhat

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
There's nothing wrong with selling sex.
Don't like A&F? Don't patronize them.

I think it's hot fa shaaa.

TheRob

Legendary Member
Media
I would highly suggest reading "Why I hate Abdercrombie & Fitch" by Dwight A. McBride to anyone considering buying/wearing A&F. Especially if you are anything other than WASP. As homoerotic and strongly apealing as they seem to be, it deeply saddens me to still see them in operation. As a gay non-white man, I hate that people are so blind and shallow that they cannot see beyond the "hot" models and the sex appeal slathered all over their walls.

I suppose I might be called a hater or several other choice words for being so counter gay culture, but if you have truely read this essay and spoken to people who work there, and still buy their product, then I suppose we wouldn't see eye to eye on much anything else.

I havn't read the article tho I may if I get the chance, but if it's about the company being biased in terms of promotions/workplace type stuff, nothing new man. I can tell you stories about Kohl's that will make your jaw drop.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
They were awesome, back in the day, which actually wasn't that many years ago (I'm remembering them in the late 80's-early 90's), when they were still a "gentleman's outfitter". Oh, their pics are way sexy, and some of their stuff is still decent, but I'm just not sure how many pre-ripped cargo shorts/T-shirts I need in my wardrobe. In the winter, they actually have some beautiful sweaters, on occasion, but you pay to have one of the three they were shipped. Personally, all other reasons to dislike them aside, that's actually my biggest complaint with them, is that there's just no variety (and no, the irony of their hiring practices, and this statement, is not lost on me).

B_WER25

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
They promote racism and homosexualism (that's not a word but it sounds funny). Nothing wrong with homosexualism, but promoting racism is fucked up and they should all die!

Gnothiseauton

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Sorry been away from the thread for a few days.

Since I haven't read that and am unlikely to read it yet, would you mind giving me the punch line?

The gist of the essay is the extent to which A&F subconciously supports (if not fosters) racism and aryan elietist attitudes that have helped turn the American gay culture into the sorry state you find it today.

Don't like A&F? Don't patronize them.

I don't. I boycot them. I'm not black, but I still find it highly offensive. I would love to see minorities out there stand up for themselves too.

I havn't read the article tho I may if I get the chance, but if it's about the company being biased in terms of promotions/workplace type stuff, nothing new man. I can tell you stories about Kohl's that will make your jaw drop.

I'd love to hear it about Kohl's. But I will have to say this: my issue with A&F is that their discrimination is incorporated into their policies, and they can get away with it since they only hire "models", not employees, among other things. I can tell you stories about places I've worked too where bosses and other employees have been racist/discriminatory. Doesn't change that the company at large is not at fault.