Abnormal Pap?

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by D_Leotols Toy, Aug 27, 2009.

1. D_Leotols Toy

D_Leotols Toy New Member

An actual issue lol, but anyways. A really good friend of mine who I used to have sex with just found out after annual pap that it came back abnormal. They said it was high risk but are going to go into more detail in 2 weeks, 10 days after her period or something like that..

Her pap last year was normal..

I'm just curious if anyone has any information about high risk, I know more about low risk as I thought I had it for awhile, which I didnt. Or anyone else had abnormal paps and how they dealt with it and if was normal the next pap. Any and all information would be great, I just want to help her out.

2. Symphonic

Gold Member

Albums:
    So, Google is trumped by non-medical doctors? Why not just go to Wrong Diagnosis

3. D_Leotols Toy

D_Leotols Toy New Member

Oh, you and your almost witty replies. Looking for people who may have had an experience with it. I'll make a note to ask you if I'd like an obvious answer.

4. Symphonic

Gold Member

Albums:
    Now now, if anything we should know that the experience itself isn't linear; you'd be better off with a medical dictionary and waiting for a professional than waiting specifically for someone, especially someone you do not know, to tell you information you cannot verify about a situation that might not even be relevant to you.

5. D_Ellerby Eatsprick

D_Ellerby Eatsprick New Member

I had an abnormal pap which resulted in going for further testing. I forget what this procedure is called but it's still similar to a pap but they take a pinch of the abnormal cells.

Further testing later showed that I had a normal pap smear.

Try not to read so much into it until further testings are more conclusive.

6. Symphonic

Gold Member

Albums:
    Irony...

7. D_Leotols Toy

D_Leotols Toy New Member

I was merely curious about experiences that other WOMEN experienced. I wasn't just trying to gain knowledge through random folks via message boards. I had already read up on the cdc.gov site before I asked the question.

8. strutter2

strutter2 New Member

Hi Watchmen.
    I had an abnormal smear and I have high risk HPV on my cervix (it's the wart virus, and the higher risk ones are linked to most incidences of cervical cancer (and laryngeal, oral and anal cancers).
    However your GF shouldn't panic straight away. I had an abnormal smear 4 years ago and the cells went back to normal. Cervical cells can also change at different times of the month which is why they probably want to take another sample.
    However this time last year I had another abnormal one. Because it was the second time this had happened, they sent me for what is called a colposcopy - where they pinch out a tiny bit of the cervix to send away for further tests - it sounds very scary but for me it was actually fine as a procedure and didn't really hurt at all.
    This test revealed that my cells were starting to edge into the 2nd category of abnormality which meant they were starting to creep a bit nearer to cancer (but still weren't cancer). The gynae told me I could leave them and wait and see if they went back to normal, however because this was the second time I had got an abnormal result and that the cell changes were worse than the first time, I decided to have what's called 'cervical loop diathermy' where they numb your cervix and cauterise a layer of cells off it. This tends to clear up all of the abnormal cells in most cases - it also wasn't painful - it sounds it as you have to have injections in your cervix but because there are fewer nerve endings there is wazs less painful than a blood test, and after the first needle it was completely numb.

In my case however I had a follow up smear which showed there were still some mildly abnormal cells. I now have to wait a year and have another smear to see if these abnormalities have cleared up.

My advice is not to panic, however to just follow all the advice the medics give her and keep having regular pap smears.

9. strutter2

strutter2 New Member

Hope that helps. If you want any more advice etc send me a message and I'll try to reply asap.

10. D_Leotols Toy

D_Leotols Toy New Member

Thank you for sharing. It seems it's not as scary as it sounds.

11. StraightDave

StraightDave New Member

Albums:
    I had an abnormal pap. He was born without any toes. He was one helluva punter though, which was odd. His shoulder was messed up in WWII, so he couldn't throw the pigskin around very well, but he could kick that thing like perfect spiral pass right to us.

Draft saved Draft deleted