Abortion Laws

Inwood: Not necessarily. With the current court composition gay sex was found to be legal after all.

Just because someone is conservative doesn't mean they're the devil's spawn. I mean it's a good bet but not a given ::). But Bush would have to replace one of the "liberal" members of the court. It's more likely one of the "conservative" members will leave first.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Yeah, but in case anyone here honestly thinks that conservatives don't engage in judicial activism, I have two words: Judicial vestiture. It was a doctrine Rehnquist came up with under Oliphant v Suquamish. Basically, he found no reason - nothing in the constitution, no act of Congress, nothing in treaties - why Indian courts couldn't prosecute whites, so he invented a whole new doctrine of 'judicial vestiture'. Ever since then, quite a few cases of white-on-Indian crime have gone to state courts and the jury reaches a verdict within five seconds: Not guilty.

gigantikok: [quote author=RoysToy link=board=99;num=1072583634;start=0#1 date=12/27/03 at 20:48:28]If the shrub wins next November, this country will be doomed, my friend.

Luke[/quote]
Then I guess this country is doomed, my friend. There is not one chance in hell any of the legions of morons and chumps... uh, I mean Democratic candidates will beat out Bush. It's going to be a clean sweep in Bush's favor. And why do you think, RoysToy? Because most people think he's going to help this country, not "doom" it.

Bush haters amuse me. They are so wrapped in denial they can't even see the blatant truth hanging in front of them. Bush is going to get re elected and is a moderately good president.

gigantikok: [quote author=Inwood link=board=99;num=1072583634;start=0#2 date=12/28/03 at 08:53:09]Not necessarily. With the current court composition gay sex was found to be legal after all.[/quote]
You know why that is? Because not all Republicans are gay bashing, Christian, heartless corporate leeches. But of course, stereotypes prevail because people are ignorant.

clockwatcher: gig...all i can say is ...PREACH IT BROTHER!... :)

Inwood: "Because not all Republicans are gay bashing, Christian, heartless corporate leeches.  But of course, stereotypes prevail because people are ignorant."

Of course the above seems to admit that there are Republicans who are gay bashers, Christian (heaven's to Betsy there're Christians in the house) and heartless corporate leeches. And they seem to be the ones we hear from most. The others just hide so they won't get whomped for thinking different from the anointed ones.

As to Bush being re-elected it's good to keep a positive outlook for your candidate but things can change. He might choke on another pretzel.

Hi Gig, glad you're back. At least back to the areas I spend time looking at.

oldman9x7: Hi guys.

I was shut out for a time but I've been rescued and now I'm back on the board.

C'mon, people! DOOMED??? How can you think that when we have just survived two terms with the Clintons.
Gramps

B_RoysToy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Survived? What a joke. Even the more knowledgeable Republicans have to admit the decade of economic prosperity was unparalleled and this country had more world-wide respect than it has now. While paying off debts we are now making, generations to come will wishfully look back on the 90s, as the country's rich continue to get richer and the poor starve.

This debate is useless and has nothing to do with LPSG subjects. Give all the feed back you want, fellows, but Luke is bowing out. I'm just thankful we are free to express our opinions in the USA>

wvalady1968: [quote author=Mark_LPSG Admin link=board=99;num=1072583634;start=0#0 date=12/27/03 at 19:44:54]One more conservative justice on the U.S. Supreme Court, and it's likely that abortion will be illegal in the United States.  Agree or disagree?[/quote]

I'm Pro-Life, but non-violent. Hell, I don't even like to argue. Having said that, I don't believe that abortion will ever be illegal inthe US. They just can get that toothpaste back in the tube, you know?

Allie

P.S. I was going to add that if most people saw some of the things that go on during abortions, they'd be against it, too. But I don't really believe that. Most people are too overwhelmed with causes or are too apathetic, period.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Say, Gigz, you might feel different about the GOP if you knew of Reagan's connections to the Pioneer Fund...

jerkin4-10: roy... i think everyone would agree...well the informed anyways...that clinton inherited an economy that was on the mend...and alan greenspan is the ONLY reason he kept his job...to the topic..abortion...man i sure am glad my mom and dad decided to endure the hardship of raising me...theres tons of couples aching for a chance to raise and love a child in this world...i mean isnt that an argument of folks that are gay and lesbian?...im republican and dont hate gays or lesbians...
everyone deserves to be loved...even an unborn child...

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
RoysToy, this topic has a LOT to do with large penises.  I think it's safe to say that large penises are at least partially responsible for thousands of unwanted babies in the U.S. every year.   :D

B_RoysToy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Mark, when I said "This debate" had nothing to do with LPSG subjects, I dd not intend the meaning to be that anything involving large penises had nothing to do with LPSG.

My statement ". . . this country will be doomed . . ." began the political debate that I think is out of place in the thread of Abortion Laws.

What is your opinion of this belief?

Thanks,

Luke

Thumper_10x7_CA: I can't believe we are opening up to a debate about abortion! Talk about brave!!!

I'm Pro-Choice because I believe it's the woman's choice to abort an unwanted or unexpected pregnancy. Within reason of course. I'd say during the first tri-mester only, and into the second for outstanding reasons like danger to the woman's life or other complications. In the third tri-mester I say it's too late.
I'm not going to go into my reasonings, they would make this post way too long.
And FYI, I consider myself a Christian (grew up Catholic) who believes in God and the consequences of some sort of heaven and hell. I don't believe in a strict set of laws you need to follow in order to be accepted into heaven though. Again this could be long and drawn out. If you'd really like to know my views feel free to e-mail me.

MisterMark

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Luke, I don't think the country will be doomed, but I do think there will be a large contingent of the American population who will be seriously frustrated and upset about the direction of the country.

I really wish we weren't stuck with the winner-take-all system of elections. I'd also like to see run-offs when the winner doesn't receive at least 50% of the vote.

warmsunshine: I'll put a check mark in the "Country Is Doomed" if Shrub gets another term. That's certainly why I've become a hell of a lot more politically active for this election.

Sure if he gets elected he'll be able to appoint at least one Supreme Court justice, and while it may be a conservative, any outcome at all in this case is disasterous:
-Appoints a conservative...then that cements their place for the next 20-30 years
-Appoints a moderate (swing) or liberal justice, then they will turn even MORE conservative with more destructive rulings for civil rights.

I don't think Bush's election is a slamdunk. There are an awful lot of people who ARE upset about the direction this country has taken under the Bush Admin. and are eager to get rid of him. Bush is NOT all that popular. And $$ doesn't always win elections. I think that the biggest problem the Democrats have is themselves. Too much in-fighting and pot-shots will lead to defeat, not their current policies.

As for abortion, I'm all for pretty much unlimited abortion rights of women. I don't know any woman who carries a pregnancy for 7-8 months and just on a whim decides to have an abortion because there's a big social event coming up and she can't fit into that new dress she bought. Women don't think they're going in to have an abortion and something happens to the fetus that they don't know about! They know what's going to happen...that's why it's so serious for them. Whatever happens, it's not the business of some busybody with a sign outside the clinic. It should be completely between the woman and the doctor who is performing the procedure.

I would think that good "Christians" would feel the same way. After all, the bible doesn't say ANY thing about abortion or life beginning at "conception" or any such nonsense.

gigantikok: [quote author=RoysToy link=board=99;num=1072583634;start=0#10 date=12/29/03 at 13:30:49]Survived?   What a joke.  Even the more knowledgeable Republicans have to admit the decade of economic prosperity was unparalleled and this country had more world-wide respect than it has now.  While paying off debts we are now making, generations to come will wishfully look back on the 90s, as the country's rich continue to get richer and the poor starve.[/quote]
The president may be a figure head, and may be in charge, but I cannot fathom crediting anyone President to a good or bad economy because there is so much of it that is out of his control. There are so many reasons the economy rises or falls, and it just isn't fair to pin it to one man. As jerkin said, Clinton was pretty much just riding the wave. Of course, a lot of Liberals are desperate to try and legitimize Clinton in some way even though in his 8 years in office, the man did shit. He did absolutely nothing. While he was busy chasing skirts, even Osama was truck bombing the twin towers(yes, it did happen during one of Clinton's terms) and who paid attention to that growing threat? Not Clinton, nah. Anyway, if you do want to credit anyone to the economy, I think you have to credit congress. Who was in control during the economic prosperity of the mid to late 90's? The Republicans. Who is in control of congress now? Democrats. Nuff said.

Oh, and by the way, I think Bush will get re elected because love him or hate him, he presents himself as a LEADER. People love leaders. All of the spineless democratic hopefuls are too busy arguing with each other to actually emerge as a real leader.