Abstinence programs don't work?

Discussion in 'Sex With a Large Penis' started by Principessa, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

Report: Abstinence programs don't work
    By H. JOSEF HEBERT, Associated Press WriterWed Nov 7, 8:09 PM ET

Programs that focus exclusively on abstinence have not been shown to affect teenager sexual behavior, although they are eligible for tens of mil lions of dollars in federal grants, according to a study released by a nonpartisan group that seeks to reduce teen pregnancies.

"At present there does not exist any strong evidence that any abstinence program delays the initiation of sex, hastens the return to abstinence or reduces the number of sexual partners" among teenagers, the study concluded.

The report, which was based on a review of research into teenager sexual behavior, was being released Wednesday by the nonpartisan National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy.

The study found that while abstinence-only efforts appear to have little positive impact, more comprehensive sex education programs were having "positive outcomes" including teenagers "delaying the initiation of sex, reducing the frequency of sex, reducing the number of sexual partners and increasing condom or contraceptive use."

"Two-thirds of the 48 comprehensive programs that supported both abstinence and the use of condoms and contraceptives for sexually active teens had positive behavior effect," said the report.

A spending bill before Congress for the Department of Health and Human Services would provide $141 million in assistance for community-based, abstinence-only sex education programs, $4 million more than what President Bush had requested.

The study, conducted by Douglas Kirby, a senior research scientist at ETR Associates, also sought to debunk what the report called "myths propagated by abstinence-only advocates" including: that comprehensive sex education promotes promiscuity, hastens the initiative of sex or increases its frequency, and sends a confusing message to adolescents.
    None of these was found to be accurate, Kirby wrote.

Instead, he wrote, such programs improved teens' knowledge about the risks and consequences of pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases and gave them greater "confidence in their ability to say 'no' to unwanted sex."

The sponsors of the study praised Kirby for his "thorough research" and for being "fair and evenhanded," but they also acknowledged that ETR Associates developed and markets several of the sex education curricula reviewed in the report. Several of the previous studies that were reviewed also were written by Kirby.

The report noted that there continues to be "too high levels of sexual risk-taking among teens" with 47 percent of all high schools students reporting having sex at least once and 63 percent saying they have engaged in sex by the spring semester of their senior year.

"Many teenagers do not use contraceptives carefully and consistently," said the report. About 40 of every 1,000 girls age 15 to 19 gave birth in 2005, the last year for which data was available, the report said.

I can't believe it took a government study to figure out abstinence education was not going to work. :rolleyes::tongue::mad:

2. Satsfakshun

Satsfakshun Member

More of the religious right's "faith based" science.

I have this speech ready whenever I discuss sex ed/abortion etc. with people who are against all of it. I have very close friends who are very Catholic. There kids are good kids and were raised in the church. Naturally, they're all about abstinence. Their Grandmother has 19 grandchildren. Half of them have kids and not one of them has had a wedding. In fact only a couple of the grandkids have been married. The rest are single. Now my friends are worried that Grandma could die and never attend a grandchild's wedding. My friends' kids will likely be the first. But I always point out that abstinenence doesn't seem to have worked well in this case.

I mention that if condoms and b/c pills failed at the same rate, the FDA wouldn't allow them to be marketed as birth control devices. Yet people still pretend abstinence is effective.

3. whatireallywant

Gold Member

They didn't work when I was in school so why does anyone think they'd work now?

My "sex ed" in school had nothing about birth control at all. It was about the anatomy and physiology, diseases, and telling us to wait until we're married. I know a lot of the girls in my class got pregnant while they were in high school...

The anatomy and physiology part and the STDs part was fine, but they needed to have a more comprehensive approach as far as covering birth control, etc.

4. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

My school was deemed the most promiscuous.. Catholic school means nothing.

5. Sixofspades

Sixofspades New Member

When will the people who enforce these programs learn that folks always want what they can't have, and that it applies to kids more than any other demographic. I'm convinced that's why so many American children are utterly screwed up. If they're not brought up with overprotective parents who fear for their safety at every corner then they're bombarded with archaic, puritanistic media. Logic will never trump human nature. It's the same with drugs. Nothing would make me want to speedball coke and heroin more than those idiotic 'above the influence' commercials. Relax about this kind of thing and the edge is taken off, making it less attractive for everyone.

6. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

You tell kids not to have sex and of course just the simple fact you're forbidding it makes it even more attractive, the only way to make kids wait is to give them knowledge - not just the technical side but how to deal with peer pressure to have sex, about the emotional side of relationships and what parenthood would actually mean.

7. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

I thought that the girls who signed those virginity pledges with their fathers were found to be something like five times as likely to engage in oral sex and thirty times as likely to engage in anal sex.* Basically interpreting virginity as not allowing anything to penetrate their vaginas but anything else goes. So they're good for something..

*estimate, unsure of actual figures

8. TWZR21

TWZR21 New Member

I am going to put my 2 cents in....sex is a wonderful thing, but I have so much respect for those people who wait. There is nothing wrong with staying a virgin until being married. Its playing it safe. So props to people who see it through to the end.

9. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

I think it's totally silly to wait until marriage. I'm not huge on relationships but sexual compatibility seems to be huge. What if your partner and you don't click sexually... that would make the whole marriage strained till death do you part. Sex before marriage I want to know what to expect.

10. johnlucas-1

johnlucas-1 Member

As far as I can see abstinence programs only heighten the taboo factor which actually makes things MORE attractive.

How many stories do I hear of promise keepers who at the end couldn't keep their promise.

You can repress a natural bodily process and not expect side effects. It's gonna come out somewhere. You can't hold your sneezes back forever because sooner or later you'll go ACHOOOOO!!

Proponents of Abstinence Programs are what I'd like to call Cowards Who Don't Have The Guts To Discuss Sexuality With Their Children. All of us are here based on someone having sex. So it's sort of insane to deny the reality of sexuality.

You'll never stop kids from having sex. All you can do is inform properly on how to go about it. And even THEN it's a struggle due to the mindsets of the "invincible youths".
    John Lucas

11. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

There's nothing wrong with staying a virgin till you're married but I feel that the people who do are placing some value on virginity per se which betrays a feeling that sex is somehow wrong. Sex is fun, why wait years for 'the right guy' when you could have been having lots of great sex with the wrong guy.

12. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    It all goes back to religion, especially the Catholic church, and we all know that the Catholic Church's mantra is "go forth and multiply..."

I don't see people lining up to join that church -- usually, you have to be born into it -- or marry into it.

In a nutshell: it's my guess that out-of-control birth rates are the ONLY thing keeping that religion alive.

PS: Thanks, Popey, for keeping up the infection and death rates for AIDS in Africa.

13. OmahaBeef

Gold Member

Uhhh K...

I am of the belief that instead of telling kids in schools to do it or not do it, but rather assume that they will, so instead repeatedly bring up the dangers of sex constantly. If the average middle-schooler has heard a few times a day about how utterly ruinous that STD's and unplanned pregnancy is, then PERHAPS you can create enough hesitancy in their minds that it may pay off for a great many of them. The schools can't make them choose their path, but at the end of the day we can't say we didn't warn them.

Kudo's to those who wait: They have brains and balls.

...OB

14. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Rather than getting kids to not have sex (most of them do anyway) this usually leads to them just being neurotic and paranoid about it and unable to enjoy normal healthy sexual relationships well into adulthood, while they are still dealing with guilt issues and other neuroses from this backward sort of sexual abuse they must endure during their formative years. Is that what you want for your kids?

15. dudepiston

dudepiston New Member

I agree with you, NIC....our culture's take on sexuality education is enough to give everyone a neurosis or two as kids. It's amazing what we're afraid to talk about. I think many people that visit this site would say they're pretty open minded, and could talk with their children about sex in a healthful way but can we really? We were all raised with our own (possibly incorrect) beliefs. None of us was raised in a Utopia, so face it....our information & beliefs probably have some flaws, too. And then there's the religious right.....who don't want it talked about at ALL. So who should take up this slack? The schools? They try, but they're overburdened and subject to this-or-that random lawsuit as it is. I have an idea.....sex is a medical function...it's a function of our bodies. We assign a great deal of emotional & mental importance to it, but it's a medical process that brings us from a relaxed state to orgasm. Why not have doctors do the educating? When a kid turns a certain age (the family doctor would know when) and puberty's starting (or close)....then it's time for him or her to give the child a "sexuality kit." Everything they need to know, in one easy to understand DVD bundle, complete with links to other resources, translated into the language of origin. Then, if parents do NOT want this information given to their child, they must sign off on that....agreeing that not providing this information could be harmful to the child's mental & physical health. Because it is.....

16. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

I never told my kids not to have sex, in fact I told them that when they wanted to have sex they could have it here whatever their age was - I'd have much rather that than them doing it up some back alley. You can't stop them doing it unless you're prepared to lock them up 24/7. From an early age I answered all their sexual questions but I tried to instill in them that sex wasn't dirty but it wasn't something they should rush into just because their friends were doing it.I gave them all the information I could, not just on the mechanics but on the relationship side of sex. They can still talk to me easily about sex, there's never been any barriers put up because of embarrassment or because I refused to answer a question - and they waited till they were well over the age of consent.

While a doctor's kit might be a good idea all kids need to know at a different age, my rule was if they're old enough to ask the question they're old enough for the answer, so they asked various questions at different ages instead of having everything dropped on them at once.

Draft saved Draft deleted