Abu Gharib returns....

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by jay_too@Jul 27 2005, 02:42 PM
Madame...

Unfortunately, Chimera has a kindred spirit....Shelby.
[post=332232]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks for the unintentional compliment Jay. I do admire Chimera's intellectual capacity and honesty. He's a young man full of questions who refuses to bend to the winds of political correctness. I cheer him on in his quest for understanding, however incendiary his ideas may be.

I was particularly impressed with his interpretation of our poltical history and rights regarding the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence. His responses were curt, to the point, correct and neither patronizing nor deferential.

While I don't put as much stock as he does in various 'racial' studies, believing to some extent as the good Madame does that scientists can find what they choose, I think it's laughable that people pretend there's no innate difference between various ethnic groups just so that nobody gets their feelings hurt.

To get back on topic - all of you Bush haters seem to believe diplomacy and appeasement is the solution to the situation with our enemy. Europe gave that a shot with the Third Reich, and later Eastern Europe with Soviet Russia. Didn't work out all that great.

The terrorists traffic in fear. The only way to victory is to make them fear us more than we do them. Some civil liberties will inevitably be curtailed in the process.

Here's the irony. Liberals like to blame Islam's hatred of us on corporate America. They act like the terrorist's main concern is keeping out Starbucks and Mcdonalds. What they're actually fighting against is Western moral (as they see it) depravity. They abhor the thought of women's equality and our relative acceptance of homosexuality and promiscuity. So the very groups that are the quickest to condemn our struggle against this barbaric way of life have the most to lose by its continuance to exist.

brainzz_n_dong

Just Browsing
Media
Not that I want it to happen this way but how likely are certain attitudes to change after somebody blows himself up in the Mall of America (or Six Flags or the Lincoln Memorial or a flea market) and takes out one of your loved ones.

Suddenly, rounding up his fellow conspirators will be paramount and not having to worry about an idiot judge granting them all bail or throwing out their detainment on some courthouse technicality will be a comfort.

Times are changing, folks. We either get bogged down in philosophical thumb twiddling or we roll up our sleeves and fight back.

Pecker,

Very well put. I'll buy you a beer next time you're in town. Until I'm legal, better make that a root beer ;)

I'm used to sarcasm and derision in this room when posting anything that doesn't go hat in hand with what mz or jonb happen to think on a particular subject. It's one of the things that gives this part of lpsg such a "Walton Family" warm, fuzzy feel. They think I'm missing their point. I feel they're often missing the big point. The talk you see on TV about dirty bombs, suitcase nukes, and the potential poisoning of a city's water supply are not just plot twists from a Tom Clancy novel. They are deadly acts that can possibly be perpetrated upon us, given our open society.

We have a fairly open border with Canada, and a porous one with Mexico. Unless we improve security to the north, and implement security <a novel concept> along the southern one, only God knows what horrors might eventually take place. Yes, an entire debate about how homeland security spending is being allocated can be held, but that is for a different thread and day.

There should be standards for treatment of captured terrorists or enemy combatants. Those of you that hold undergrad degrees in snide remarks probably missed that point. However, whatever new or revised standards/protocols eventually arise from the current situation should not kowtow to the demands of people for whom political correctness is the only thing that matters.

People who have fierce opinions about both Gitmo and AG have some valid points within their bluster, but it&#39;s the whole "throw the baby out with the bathwater" concept they propose that is dangerous.

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
This is horrifying. But I expect no condemnation and very little response from OUR administration. Don&#39;t bad mouth your allies. These atrocities are different how, than OUR people raping young boys being held in OUR terrorist prisons?

The Iranian government may be hunting more gay teens after publicly executing two boys for having sex with each other last week.
According to human rights activists, police officials are searching for three boys connected with the "crimes" of Mahmoud Asgari, 16, and Ayaz Marhoni, 18, who were hanged last week.
An international protest is being urged in response to the hangings, which were conducted in accordance with the ultra-conservative Islamic Sharia law.
Activists across the globe are calling for more action to be taken against the Iranian government.
The boys being hunted are believed to have been named by the hanged boys under torture, the U.K. group Outrage&#33; claims. They have since disappeared.
It is thought that Asgari and Marhoni were subjected to more than 200 lashings during their 14 months in prison and forced to confess to crimes they may not have committed.
They were also accused of raping a 13-year-old boy, although the majority of press reports have dismissed this charge as an attempt to avoid any censure from international governments or human rights bodies.
"This is just the latest barbarity by the Islamo-fascists in Iran," Outrage&#33; spokesman Peter Tatchell said Wednesday. "The entire country is a gigantic prison, with Islamic rule sustained by detention without trial, torture and state-sanctioned murder."
A London protest has been organized next month outside the Iranian embassy.
After the hangings last week, U.K. activists criticized the government for attempting to forge closer links with Iran, while in other European countries gay groups called for an update to asylum legislation regarding lesbian and gay people fleeing conservative regimes.
In the United States, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice was urged to publicly denounce the killings.

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
Originally posted by ChimeraTX@Jul 28 2005, 05:34 PM
1.) They don&#39;t pay taxes.
haha. you honestly think that that amount of money could even begin to compare with the amount that the government wastes and puts into its own pockets? bear in mind that most illegal immigrants will be working for someone who DOES pay taxes anyway.

2.) They can get free education and welfare, in most areas.
actually in most areas they can&#39;t, but in the case of areas where they can ... so what? so can any worthless idiots who happen to be born INSIDE the country. chances are there are quite a few immigrants who could benefit more from those things than many "indigenous" americans. things like that should be decided on a case-by-case basis.

3.) Their earnings rarely are reinvested in our economy, rather they send it home to their families.
well, they gotta invest at least as much as citizens on the same income level, otherwise they&#39;d starve. many citizens don&#39;t invest much of their disposable income either.

It&#39;s an economic timebomb waiting to explode.
so we&#39;ve been told ever since the 1850s. that bomb must have one heck of a long fuse.

uhhh ... unless I&#39;m way mistaken, that&#39;s someone&#39;s middle school essay.

Njal

1st Like
Media
Originally posted by Dr Rock@Jul 28 2005, 07:29 PM
uhhh ... unless I&#39;m way mistaken, that&#39;s someone&#39;s middle school essay.
[post=332634]Quoted post[/post]​

You would think so. If you look up the website though, it&#39;s actually a community college student sharing &#39;the best of her work.&#39; Given the quality of that &#39;research paper&#39;, it really makes you wonder about the future of American education. I wrote better than that in middle school.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by Pecker@Jul 28 2005, 04:28 AM
Not that I want it to happen this way but how likely are certain attitudes to change after somebody blows himself up in the Mall of America (or Six Flags or the Lincoln Memorial or a flea market) and takes out one of your loved ones.
[post=332459]Quoted post[/post]​
Which is why 90% of New Yorkers voted for Kerry.

BTW, I had no idea someone blowing up your family made you a pedophiliac rapist.

Dr Rock

Experimental Member
Media
who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
Sexuality
Unsure
Originally posted by KinkGuy@Jul 29 2005, 12:03 AM
So everyone chose to skip over my last post in this thread? huh?
[post=332715]Quoted post[/post]​
I read it. I just didn&#39;t have anything to add particularly, having already described my firm belief that we should just nuke everything between the mediterranean and the himalayas and repopulate it with chinese.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by KinkGuy@Jul 28 2005, 07:03 PM
So everyone chose to skip over my last post in this thread?  huh?
[post=332715]Quoted post[/post]​

Oh, I didn&#39;t skip it ... trust me. I found it hideous and repulsive. Just as scary is the knowledge that more than a few American citizens want theocracy to reign supreme in the United States as well. I would like to think that the American fundies wouldn&#39;t go to that extreme, but who knows just how far they&#39;d be willing to push their ideals if they taste power, becoming the dominant political faction in this country? "God says we shouldn&#39;t suffer a queer to live, and who are we to question the will of the Almighty?" Of course, God never said such a thing, but since when have fundamentalists let themselves be distracted by such minor irritants as facts? Before the last presidential election, the thought that the Religious Right actually had a shot at grabbing the reins would&#39;ve seemed ludicrous to me. Now, it doesn&#39;t seem nearly as far-fetched, and when we see the results of religious rule in other countries, I can&#39;t help but wonder what we may face in the future.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Originally posted by Pecker@Jul 28 2005, 12:28 PM

The Bush administration&#39;s war of choice in Iraq (still haven&#39;t found those pesky WMDs) is making terrorism more likely on our shores, not less. Just ask the citizens of London, Bali or Madrid. The so-called strategy of fighting terrorists in Iraq rather than at home isn&#39;t fooling al Qaeda.

SG

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by Pecker@Jul 28 2005, 07:28 AM
Times are changing, folks. We either get bogged down in philosophical thumb twiddling or we roll up our sleeves and fight back.
[post=332459]Quoted post[/post]​

Once again Pecker, you hit the nail on the head.

My Sleeves are rolled and im ready to ROCK&#33;

oldbodybuilder2004

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
To Dee and DMW:

I really feel bad after I reead your epistles. I have never thought of you in any other light than I see myself. An Amerian Citizen. I am sorry if you guys experience anything else. I know I am a silly old man but where I come from ( midwest) we are all equal under Gods site. Please forgive all those who have berated you and enjoy the fruits of your labors.

obb2004

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Pecker, we were not talking about philosophy, we were talking about rape and torture. If we, as Americans, excuse our citizens for committing these acts, then we are worse than those we seek to bring to justice. WTF? I can&#39;t believe ANYONE would suggest that this is a small detail- if you ever wonder why so many people hate Republicans and America in general, there&#39;s your first clue.

BnD, stay on topic please, nobody was talking about being pc, we were talking about the murders and rapes at Aru Gharib, how do you feel about THAT?

brainzz_n_dong

Just Browsing
Media
MZ,

Amusing of you to instruct me to stay on topic when, in one of your 3,000 word replies you wander all over that road called "topic" like a Saturday night drunk driver after he&#39;s had about 15 or so. It&#39;s the kind of consistency I expect from someone who gets absolutely furious for anyone daring to send her a private message, thus of course invading your vaunted privacy, while once upon a time you posted naked pictures of your tits under your profile. Does that mean your tits are public domain...guess so.

Like I said if you&#39;d be so kind to actually read a line or two in my posts madame, I&#39;m for standards of behavior and punishing those that are guilty. Last time I saw in the "true news", that was happening.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by brainzz_n_dong@Jul 30 2005, 09:55 PM
MZ,

Amusing of you to instruct me to stay on topic when, in one of your 3,000 word replies you wander all over that road called "topic" like a Saturday night drunk driver after he&#39;s had about 15 or so. It&#39;s the kind of consistency I expect from someone who gets absolutely furious for anyone daring to send her a private message, thus of course invading your vaunted privacy, while once upon a time you posted naked pictures of your tits under your profile. Does that mean your tits are public domain...guess so.

Like I said if you&#39;d be so kind to actually read a line or two in my posts madame, I&#39;m for standards of behavior and punishing those that are guilty. Last time I saw in the "true news", that was happening.
[post=333467]Quoted post[/post]​

Hit ya where it hurts, didn&#39;t I? Why else would you launch such a personal attack on me when I only asked how you felt about the murders and rapes at Abu Gharib? Please feel free to post a link to the "true news" that shows where these people are being punished for their crimes.

YOU don&#39;t remember this, but there was a time on this board before it got so huge that many if not most of us were free to post our pics without being harassed by a lot of strangers. It was kind of a way of making ourselves vulnerable to each other and opening up- kind of like in a nudist beach, I would guess. We were just saying "Here&#39;s my body, accept me". It took me most of this year to realise that too many strangers who don&#39;t post had become aware of our gallery and were only here for j/o material.
It&#39;s no longer an act of openness because of the tawdry thinking of people like you. I resent your implication that being naked is lewd.

brainzz_n_dong

Just Browsing
Media
MZ,

My apologies for taking so long to get back with you. The up and down nature of the board recently combinded with a trip I took with my gf and her family has kept me away for a while. I&#39;m sure you missed me.

I just felt like launching a small personal attack after having studied so many of your posts, both those you and I exchange over time and your many trade-offs with others. I gathered how you relish the art of insulting others and thought I&#39;d get down in the gutter with you for a brief period of time. How rewarding to see your response to it.

As to my brand of tawdry thinking, you can be naked wherever you like so long as those who shouldn&#39;t see it due to age considerations can&#39;t view it. I don&#39;t have a problem with the human body or nudity. However, I don&#39;t want to take on a small role in the area of "innocence lost" in a world where those under age 18 can and do gain illicit access to nudity. While you can&#39;t always dress and control how much you do or don&#39;t show, you do have the power to control how much you undress and show.

In any event, that&#39;s just how I feel on the matter. I was no different as an under age 18 youth in my quest for Playboy and other related materials than many other kids. I can respect society&#39;s moral decision that you should be of a certain age and hopefully a certain accompanying level of maturity before being able to legally buy and view such material.

"Hit me where it hurts?" Nah. As I said in a late July posting in this same thread...

A reasonable debate can be had if the subject is what is fair treatment of detainees. The military should not have a blank check to torture, harass, or defile at will anyone they see fit. Guidelines should exist. Investigations have been done in Baghdad and at Gitmo and corrective behavior is being implemented. Many senators and reps that intially knee-jerked and said we should close gitmo now have backed off that assertion. What many of you lament is that the findings of the investigations didn&#39;t result in President Bush being led around naked on a leash like some of the stupid personnel in the military did to detainees at Abu Ghraib.

Interrogation tactics...should there be interrogation tactics used that the rest of us are unaware of, unless we&#39;re personally involved inside the US government? I&#39;d say, emphatically, YES. Remember, these people are not being detained simply because of their skin color, as some here love to recount like a fable from childhood. They&#39;re not being detained because they&#39;re from a foreign country. They were not taken prisoner because of unpaid traffic tickets.

They are followers of radical Islam and have committed themselves to doing anything they can to destroy our way of life. If that isn&#39;t cause for alarm, to put it mildly, then excuse me and many others for thinking so. There is adequate space for a debate of how to fairly treat captured terrorists, so long as the words "captured terrorists" don&#39;t get lost in that debate.

I stand by those words, both as what I would pass for policy should they lower the age at which someone can be President and how I feel about the violations that took place in Iraq. I guess you were too busy at the time to scroll back one page or so to view it again.

An enemy whose own "playbook", if you will, emphasizes to its members to cry the words "torture, torture, torture" at all available opportunities to media in the West makes it hard to sort out what really does happen that should be punished versus what is made up and totally baseless. Let&#39;s recall Newsweek&#39;s haste in publishing that soliders had desecrated the Koran and the resulting violence that occured in the mideast. If I recall correctly, approx 15-20 civilians were killed in these riots against all that is evil in the world (the US). Only one problem...it didn&#39;t happen. Oops.

There have been investigations of supposed abuse of the Koran by military personnel. Brig. Gen Jay Hood reported in late May of this year that of 13 allegations of "abuse", 5 were substantiated and likely two of them were accidental in nature. What does "abuse" mean, exactly? Approved handling of the Koran means using two hands and wearing gloves when in direct contact with it. If any guard forgot his or her gloves, accidentally dropped or knocked the Koran off a table, or even reached to grab it before it hit the floor with one hand...well there you go, you have a case of abuse of the Koran in the eyes of detainees. Possible captive terrorist conversation..."Quick, get me the current number and address of Ms. Najat Al-Hajjaji of Libya, who used to chair the UN commission on human rights. She&#39;ll understand..."

In the spring of 2005, the Navy&#39;s Inspector General stated that out of 24,000 interrogations at Gitmo, there were 7 confirmed cases of abuse, most if not all of which were considered to be minor. [information in the two above paragraphs come from Washington Post, June 3, 2005]

Does any of this mean that no mistakes were made in drafting policies by which detainees were to be interrogated? No. Even a perfectly designed policy suffers if cretins down the chain of command take hold of it and implement their own version of it if they feel nobody is watching. Just review the findings (as I&#39;ll cover in a minute) of activities of former Spec. Graner and his co-horts in AG.

As Fareed Zakaria said in Newsweek in early June, there is a dichotomy in the Bush Administration when it comes to the GWOT. There is the realization that we need to improve our image among the average middle-easterner, and at the same time a disconnect with understanding that militarily effective methods of interrogation can generate huge political costs, no matter how unethical or dishonorable the enemy. This is further illustrated by historian Walter Mead&#39;s assertion that he feels the Bush administration fits into the "Jacksonian" tradition in American politics. One of this traditions core beliefs is that when dealing with a totally dishonorable enemy you suspend the normal conduct of traditional warfare...like the US soldiers did when fighting the Indian wars - when enraged by Indian fighting tactics, they fought ruthlessly themselves.

It is worth noting that the pictures that have been beamed all over the world [with a great number of them featuring former Specialist Charles Graner] from Abu Ghraib originated from one cell block inside the prison, one essentially run by a small group of soldiers that worked virtually alone, under the quasi-supervision of military intelligence units. As James Schlesinger, former Sec of Defense and person appointed to head a commission that investigated AG, stated when addressing what his commission found about this particular cell block, "it was like Animal House on the night shift". While he held that ultimate responsibility for lack of enforcement of discipline did go all the way up the chain of command to Donald Rumsfeld himself, Schlesinger decisively rejected the idea that Rumfeld should resign, stating "that would be a boon to all of America&#39;s enemies". [USA Today, Aug 2004]

To close, Middle East expert Fareed Zakaria, in speaking about what did happen at AG, "...but when there are lapses, the Pentagon needs to get much better at admitting them, investigating them and taking responsibility for them".

My addition to it all: If you want a complete discourse on how major powers treat Muslims, then why not open a thread for a detailing of the Russian Army exploits inside the republic of Chechnya these past 10 years? Maybe then international torture expert Sen. Richard Durbin of Illinois will get to trot out his "soviet gulag" comments and they&#39;ll be more applicable.

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
brainzz,
So, based on your reasoning and observations, the rape of young Muslim boys; the rape and torture of little Muslim girls; the rape/torture/murder and degradation of Iraqi adults by U.S. personnel, both military and by civilian contractors, and all endorsed by the bush administration, all of whom are exempt from prosecution. This and more, is absolutely, positively, unquestionably verified and well known by the administration...and admitted to by rumsfeld, in front of a Congressional armed services committee hearing...and ON the Congressional record. rumsfeld admitted and stated that he was shocked and horrified after the Pentagon showed him countless photographs and video tapes documenting our, this country&#39;s activities after the invasion of a sovereign nation.

A federal court ordered the release of these tapes and photographs. The Pentagon refused and has not complied with a Federal court order.

rumsfeld&#39;s response and reasoning? "The release of these photographs and video, would only make matters worse."

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
@BnD:
Hey, our side didn&#39;t compare the inheritance tax to the Holocaust.

Wait . . . Newsweek caused violence in the Mideast? ROTFLMAOSCWTIME&#33; (Rolling On The Floor Laughing My Ass Off Spitting Coffee With Tears In My Eyes) With Abu Ghraib, there are photos.

Oh, BTW, about Nick Berg: Any freshman med student can tell you what happens when you decapitate someone, and blood just oozing out ain&#39;t it.

jay_too

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
BnD...

Your justification for Gitmo/Abu Gharib seems to be that we can be badder than the Islamic terrorists and the Russians under Stalin. I am not certain this is the gold standard for conduct.

We are and have been for many decades signatories of the treaties against torture that we refer to as the Geneva Convention. The U.S. Constitution established that treaties are the law of the land. When the government abridges or ignores treaties on toture, it would appear to this conservative to be an illegal act....perhaps, grossly so since it violates a basic document of this republic.

Civilized states/regimes do not use torture, period.

I do not believe that torture in Afghanistan, Gitmo, and Abu Gharib or the rendition sites used by the CIA has made the west safer from Islamic terrorism. I believe that torture breeds comtempt and hate. It takes a special kind of sickness to condone the rape of little boys, little girls....really of anyone.

jay