Abuse Advice :(

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by 7"24, Jan 24, 2012.

1. 7"24

7"24 Member

Albums:
    Hey Guys,

I really need some help, a very important person to me is 18 turns 19 in March, he is a senior in high school and still lives at home. His Dad has hit him and thrown him around before. Today his Dad called him at school flipping out because he found out he used to smoke cigarettes. He is extremely scared right now to go home and he is staying at my house tonight he is seeing his guidance counselor at school as we speak, I need to know what to do to help him.

He is afraid to move out and leave for fear of not being able to come back. I also don't think i can afford to let him live with me permanently right now.

Please help

2. MickeyLee

Gold Member

hopefully his guidance counselor will be able to help.

could he stay for a few days, to give his father enough time to calm down?

if he can't/don't want to go home look into public assistance in your area. because he's 18 and still in school he should qualify for food stamps, general assistance and medical coverage. there might also be additional benefits available to children/young adults escaping an abusive home.

if ya anywhere close to Austin ya are in luck, one of the cities that believe in supporting disadvantaged youth, and not treating them like criminals. housing grants, school grants, etc. a bad situation might be a chance to really change ya dude's life for the better.

3. Q Vee

Q Vee New Member

Albums:
    Some options:

Contact the guidance counselor at the High School.
    Call the City or State Social Social Services for Youth.
    Contact a Non-Profit agency for At-Risk-Youth.
    Find out if there are family members who would be sympathetic.
    Contact a Minister, Rabbi or Priest for suggestions.
    Call the area Info-Line usually run by United Way.

Best of luck to him and you.

4. 7"24

7"24 Member

Albums:
    Thank you guys so much for the advice, this community is so helpful. hopefully everything will be alright.

5. Thirdlegproduction

Thirdlegproduction Formerly WhiteMonst3r
    Gold Member

Albums:
    I have a different light to cast,

I've been in this situation as well at that age, trying to help a friend from an abusive father, giving him a safe place to stay while things are being worked out.
    But in my case this "friend" turned out to be not so innocent himself either.

Thing is, this most likely didn't start happening when he was 18 and the kid has endured this for all of his life and yet has no problem bringing in a "good friend" into the situation in stead of directly calling 911 or child protective service.

Offcourse no person and situation is completely the same, but I'd advice to have eyes in the back of your head regarding your friend.
    Every coin has two sides.

Draft saved Draft deleted