Academy Awards 2010 - Your Predictions

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The awards are tomorrow... Any bets on the winners!

Best Picture The Hurt Locker

Best Director Kathryn Bigelow The Hurt Locker

Best Actor Jeff Bridges Crazyheart

Best Actress Carey Mulligan An Education But Sandra Bullock is probably going to win.

Best Supporting Actor Stanly Tucci The Lovely Bones

Best Supporting Actress Mo'Nique, Precious

Best Animated Feature Up

We shall see but I think Avatar is going to walk away with the technical awards.
:cool:

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm sticking by all of my original predictions -

Best Picture

Best Director
James Cameron - Avatar
OR
Kathryn Bigelow - The Hurt Locker

Best Actor
Jeff Bridges - A Crazy Heart

Best Actress
Sandra Bullock - The Blind Side

Best Supporting Actor
Christoph Waltz - Inglourious Basterds

Best Supporting Actress
Mo'nique - Precious

Best Animated Feature
Up

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i honestly cannot believe (or maybe i just do not want to believe) that another James Cameron film could win best picture and in the same year, Sandra Bullock could become best actress.

this, in a world where Mel Gibson and Kevin Costner have best director awards, while Kubrick has none.

this, in a world where Kim Basinger, George Clooney and Julia Roberts have best actor awards (two supporting, one leading) while Julianne Moore and Johnny Depp have none

the awards are rather silly...i never watch more than about 5 minutes of them total....and have usually fallen asleep well before the end.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I watched The Hurt Locker on DVD last night. I don't understand the buzz around this movie. I frankly found it boring. There was absolutely no character development. I learned nothing about WHY the characters were doing the things that they did. I.E What was it about the "Daredevil" bomb defuser that made him act in the way he did???? Just my 2 cents.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I watched The Hurt Locker on DVD last night. I don't understand the buzz around this movie. I frankly found it boring. There was absolutely no character development. I learned nothing about WHY the characters were doing the things that they did. I.E What was it about the "Daredevil" bomb defuser that made him act in the way he did???? Just my 2 cents.

i couldn't agree more...i have no clue what people are saying was so great about it...i found Inglourious Basterds to be miles above it.

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
i honestly cannot believe (or maybe i just do not want to believe) that another James Cameron film could win best picture and in the same year, Sandra Bullock could become best actress.

this, in a world where Mel Gibson and Kevin Costner have best director awards, while Kubrick has none.

this, in a world where Kim Basinger, George Clooney and Julia Roberts have best actor awards (two supporting, one leading) while Julianne Moore and Johnny Depp have none

the awards are rather silly...i never watch more than about 5 minutes of them total....and have usually fallen asleep well before the end.

hear that loud and clear. i have nothing against her, but sandy b?...whatever happened to women like b davis

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
hear that loud and clear. i have nothing against her, but sandy b?...whatever happened to women like b davis

or, Catherine DeNeuve...Bullock is a romantic comedy actress, not a real actress. I do not dislike her either, i just find her and virtually every film she has been in to be totally pointless and unimportant.

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
or, Catherine DeNeuve...Bullock is a romantic comedy actress, not a real actress. I do not dislike her either, i just find her and virtually every film she has been in to be totally pointless and unimportant.

I think this is why she got a nomination - she is an average actress at best and known for her romantic comedies. So when she does a movie when she is playing it serious and actually "acts" (albeit still below the average for a leading lady) people shower her with praise. It's the same sort of thing when Robin Williams does serious roles.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
or Meryl Streep who is a revelation in every role she plays.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
or Meryl Streep who is a revelation in every role she plays.

true...or Cate Blanchett, who is, IMO, not yet Streep, but in 25 years we may speak of her the way speak of Streep today.

I have yet to see a role that Cate could not handle. she is rather exceptional IMO, and i would have to say clearly my favorite actress of my generation.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think this is why she got a nomination - she is an average actress at best and known for her romantic comedies. So when she does a movie when she is playing it serious and actually "acts" (albeit still below the average for a leading lady) people shower her with praise. It's the same sort of thing when Robin Williams does serious roles.

good points...but, unfortunately, that is what they did with Julia Roberts...she was rarely taken seriously, and did mostly crappy rom-coms, then voila, she puts on a wonder-bra, does a bit of an accent, dyes her hair blonde and bingo, she gets an academy award...now...Sandra Bullock, does a bit of an accent (not sure about the wonder bra) dyes her hair blonde...and voila...(let's hope she does not get an academy award to complete the circle)

and robin williams totally annoys me...if i ever have to see another one of his "serious" roles where he is a "clown on the outside, crying on the inside", i will vomit.

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
i honestly hope Meryl gets it so they can take a break from nominating her and maybe give her spot to another actress. Meryl's great, but come on. Give it a rest.

I would love it if Inglourious Basterds or Precious took home Best Picture. Inglourious Basterds was one of the most enjoyable movies i've seen in a while, while Precious was one of the most compelling/harrowing.

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
this, in a world where Kim Basinger, George Clooney and Julia Roberts have best actor awards (two supporting, one leading) while Julianne Moore and Johnny Depp have none.

Well, Basinger is a good actress. She's fell off these last couple of years, but both her and Jeff Bridges were amazing in The Door In The Floor. Not too sure about Clooney, because i've rarely seen him outside of the Ocean's movies. And with Julia, she was basically America's sweetheart at that point in time. Moore is long overdue for one and Depp too, but he's always nominated against stronger performances.

'War is a drug', the quote that introduced the movie said a lot about Jeremy Renner's character. He got his thrills dealing with those bombs. Even when he got safe at home with his family, he still had that desire. Kind of like an adrenaline junkie. He loved dealing with those bombs more than staying in suburbia with his kid.

It was a decent movie, if a bit overpraised.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I honestly would love to see "Precious" pull the upset for Best Picture this year.
Avatar was a great flick technically, but definitely not original in story line. It was like a review of every single anime flick I watched over the last 10 year divided by The Smurfs.

As for animated feature film - I liked "Up", but "Coraline" was absolutely amazing.