Accurate BMI Calculator

blondetwink11

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Does anyone know of a good online BMI calculator?
I'm 6'2" and 135-140 lbs, and I have had one saying that I'm nearly overweight, another saying that I'm severly overweight, and one in the middle. I'm like to Goldilocks of BMI measurments.

TDurden1979

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I always think the BMI is skewed. It shows me at a 29.6. I know I'm not overweight from a health perspective.

Yeah, that one doesn't take gender or frame into account so it is not that accurate, but I can't understand which one the OP was using that said that he was overweight.

TDurden1979

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I remember reading a statistical average a while back about average height and weight for men. I think it was 5'8" and 150lbs. So by that average the OP is six inches taller and ten pounds lighter. Definitely underweight on that average and the BMI. That must be one raging metabolism!

Yeah, that one doesn't take gender or frame into account so it is not that accurate, but I can't understand which one the OP was using that said that he was overweight.

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It doesn't actually matter whether BMI is an accurate indicator of weight/healthiness.

The fact is that it is based on a mathematical formula, so should come out exactly the same every time (assuming you put the same numbers in). I have no idea what's been going on with the sites you are using blondetwink11, but something's obviously wrong.

I put your details into Calorie King (used 140 lbs) and also got 18 (underweight).

Interactive Tools

Empathizer

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Also make sure you use the string-then-measure method. I used just a thin metal tape measure and it shaved three cm off my hips (figuratively) and added 4.5 to my waist with the waist/hip ratio calculator.

Channelwood

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Make sure that when you enter the values, the correct units are selected. If you entered 135-140 and the units were kilos instead of pounds, that would account for being reported as severely overweight (or obese).

If you have the URLs of the suspect BMI calculators, please post them.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
BMI can be very misleading. If you calculate the BMI of a big muscle guy who doesn't have an ounce of bodyfat it will show him as being overweight. A more accurate, but much more difficult to calculate is your % of bodyfat.

I've got to agree with this. The BMI calculator doesn't take into account muscle mass or body type, and those two things make all the difference! Just using "height" by itself isn't enough information to tell anyone whether they have a healthy body weight. It's a dumb idea IMO.

(I'm writing here about my body when I'm not pregnant.) My normal body weight has always been calculated as "underweight" according to that calculator, but I have a different body type than most other women my height. My hips, for example, are much thinner than most women's hips and my torso is shorter. My best friend is the exact same height as me, but she's got a gorgeous pear shaped figure with a long curvy waist and wide hips and short legs. Compared to her, I have long legs, very thin hips, and an extremely short waist. When we stand next to each other, the top of my hipbones are much higher up on my body than on hers. I believe that both of us have the amount of body fat that we should have, but the hip width difference alone means that I wear a size 2 and she wears a size 6. If she weighed the same amount as me, she'd look grossly thin and anorexic, and if I weighed the same amount as her, then I'd lose my waist entirely and look chubby from the extra fat I was carrying, all because of the differences in our frames. My torso isn't meant to carry the same volume or mass as hers is.

Empathizer

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Where's a good Body Fat % calculator?

I know there's no way I'm obese, but two different calculators (with two different sets of measurements they want) say I am. Is it possible to be obese and nobody around you notices, and even Weight Watchers says you're within healthy limits?

ssongs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I've tried several BMI calculators over the past 2 years and it seems they are all different and wrong. I'm also 6'2" but I'm 213 lbs. I don't look fat at all and I run 3 miles a day. But according to all BMI calculators I'm overweight. I think the problem is with the word "mass." Muscle weighs more than fat.

D_Wally Walnuts

Experimental Member
Media