Accurate Representation

husky14620

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by big_peter@Mar 1 2005, 11:42 AM
Well- for a really superficial response:
Anything with a gay person and a crime is Inaccurate. (and superficial)
[post=287354]Quoted post[/post]​

Not true, 9 Dead Gay Guys was a hoot, although a bit distorted. I have known hustlers who were "straight", old queens who would pay for trade, couples where one member was "out" and one "in the closet", and I think everyone here has known at least one "size queen". While the movie's portrayals of these characters is over the top, the basis for them does exist. It is like I have said before in this thread, gays are just like anyone else, we run the same gamut of characters and archetypes as the rest of society.

zzorus

Just Browsing
Media
Another good German movie is Der Bewegte Mann ( The Most Desired Man) from the mid 1990s.
It is a comedy: a straight man Axel cheats on his girlfriend; she throws him out; none of his ex girlfriends will accomodate him. He ends up staying with a gay man who has been through some disastrous relationships. So the very handsome straight man is taken to gay clubs by his host, and friends end up being competitive for his attention.
There are some very funny scenes involving various misunderstandings and characters: my favourite is probably one of the minor characters- the gay room mate: he is a vegetarian butcher with a taste for horror/slash movies.

I've seen it say three or four times, and enjoyed it. Yes, it does play upon stereotypes, but it is a comedy; it also uses some conventions of farce.

It is based on a German comic strip, and the actor who plays the handsome straight man, Til Shweiger, later went to Hollywood, but I have not seen those films -I just remember his name appearing in a cast list.

Since writing the above, I did a quick search and was quite surprised to see what he has been up to:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001709/

There are a few photos there from the Most Desired Man too.

zzorus

Just Browsing
Media
Originally posted by zzorus@Mar 3 2005, 11:06 PM
Another good German movie is Der Bewegte Mann ( The Most Desired Man) from the mid 1990s.

Since writing the above, I did a quick search and was quite surprised to see what he has been up to:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001709/

There are a few photos there from the Most Desired Man too.
[post=287989]Quoted post[/post]​

I was talking to a friend about " Death in Venice" and he then mentioned "that funny German film you showed me( ie The Most Desired Man)'. All he remembered was the scene in a cinema when the main characters went to a screening of " Death in Venice". Three skinhead punks arrived expecting to see "Texas Chainsaw Massacre", and a fight broke out between the skinheads and the gays. My friend found the scene hilarious.

jeepwranglerboi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think The Broken Hearts Clubis an accurate representation of the gay community due to the fact that all of the characters represent different aspects of it. No, of course it is not a complete representation. That would be impossible to do. One of the things I love about it is that no one has HIV or AIDS and there aren't any drag queens (well not really). It's a wonderful movie and if you haven't seen it then please do so. I also really like Relax, It's Just Sex too.

zzorus

Just Browsing
Media
Originally posted by jeepwranglerboi@Mar 8 2005, 07:42 AM
I think The Broken Hearts Clubis an accurate representation of the gay community due to the fact that all of the characters represent different aspects of it. No, of course it is not a complete representation. That would be impossible to do. One of the things I love about it is that no one has HIV or AIDS and there aren't any drag queens (well not really). It's a wonderful movie and if you haven't seen it then please do so. I also really like Relax, It's Just Sex too.
[post=288993]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks Jeep! Have just ordered them through amazon.

jeepwranglerboi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Originally posted by zzorus+Mar 8 2005, 08:08 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zzorus &#064; Mar 8 2005, 08:08 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-jeepwranglerboi@Mar 8 2005, 07:42 AM
I think The Broken Hearts Clubis an accurate representation of the gay community due to the fact that all of the characters represent different aspects of it. No, of course it is not a complete representation. That would be impossible to do. One of the things I love about it is that no one has HIV or AIDS and there aren&#39;t any drag queens (well not really). It&#39;s a wonderful movie and if you haven&#39;t seen it then please do so. I also really like Relax, It&#39;s Just Sex too.
[post=288993]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks Jeep&#33; Have just ordered them through amazon.
[post=289168]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
I hope you enjoy them dude&#33; :D

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by big_peter@Mar 1 2005, 07:42 AM
Anything with a gay person and a crime is Inaccurate. (and superficial)
Well, I wouldn&#39;t say it&#39;s that inaccurate. There are gay criminals, and guys in prison seem to fuck each other a lot.

Oh, I got to see the new Degrassi. They have a gay character, Marco. He can be a giant flame at times (especially his love of Bollywood musicals), but he&#39;s still better than some gay characters I&#39;ve seen on TV. There&#39;s even a funny episode where Spinner&#39;s worried Marco has a crush on him; when he finds out Marco doesn&#39;t, he&#39;s complaining that Marco has poor taste in men&#33;

zzorus

Just Browsing
Media
Originally posted by jonb@Mar 9 2005, 10:09 AM

Oh, I got to see the new Degrassi. They have a gay character, Marco. He can be a giant flame at times (especially his love of Bollywood musicals)
[post=289324]Quoted post[/post]​

I love Bollywood&#33; My current favourite is Saathiya .

When I was in India I would often just drop into a cinema just by chance: only rarely was I disappointed.

BTW what does " He can be a giant flame at times" mean? I understand it is disparaging-but the idiom is new to me, and I ask because of the parenthesis&#33;

big_peter

Just Browsing
Media
Originally posted by husky14620+Mar 3 2005, 01:23 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(husky14620 &#064; Mar 3 2005, 01:23 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-big_peter@Mar 1 2005, 11:42 AM
Anything with a gay person and a crime is Inaccurate.  (and superficial)

Not true, 9 Dead Gay Guys was a hoot, although a bit distorted. I have known hustlers who were "straight", old queens who would pay for trade, couples where one member was "out" and one "in the closet", and I think everyone here has known at least one "size queen". While the movie&#39;s portrayals of these characters is over the top, the basis for them does exist. It is like I have said before in this thread, gays are just like anyone else, we run the same gamut of characters and archetypes as the rest of society.
[post=287953]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Need I STRESS:
- for a really _superficial_ response:

There are exceptions... welcome exceptions, but Oh, SOOO few&#33;
Thanks for pointing &#39;em out (as you see them)

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
flaming = campy, stereotypical, you get the idea. He&#39;s not too flaming, just in his love of Bollywood musicals and his ability to keep up with haute couture.

zzorus

Just Browsing
Media
Originally posted by jonb@Mar 10 2005, 01:11 PM
flaming = campy, stereotypical, you get the idea.
[post=289673]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks jon&#33; I was puzzled by the idiom, thinking along the lines of the internet usage of " flame", and that did not make much sense to me in the context.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Actually, the internet usage of "flame" comes from "flaming", albeit "flaming assholes" instead of "flaming homos".

I will say, Ellie was actually lucky Marco&#39;s gay; Daniel Clark is hot. (CTV apparently knows about about Clark&#39;s hotness: Most shirtless scenes on Degrassi actually advance the plot, but Sean&#39;s are just plain gratuitous. And he has four girlfriends and one secret admirer he passes off to one of his fellow candy bandits, the mute black guy TV Tome identifies as Towerz, throughout the series.)

Oh, Dylan cheats on Marco in the fourth season, so Marco and Craig (Craig&#39;s straight. And has his own tangle of love triangles, BTW.) kiss in front of him to make him jealous. Not as bad as some of the stuff straight Degrassi characters do. *cough*Rick*cough*

TragicWhiteKnight

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There&#39;s an interesting (if almost 100 pages long) on Representations of Sexuality in the Media in the TWoP Forums (www.televisionwithoutpity.com - select &#39;TV Potluck&#39; from the dropdown menu and it should be easy to find).

Covers a lot of examples in a very intelligent fashion.