Achoo! Anyone else with hayfever?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Ionto, May 17, 2006.

1. Ionto

Ionto New Member

The pollen cloud has just hit Nothern France!

Anyone else suffering from hayfever? Any hints ?

2. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Most of the over-the-counter medications work well for me:

Sudafed 24 hour

Claritin D

Alavert (My personal favorite). Alavert melts in your mouth liek candy, so it is easy to take.

My doctor warned that some of these can cause a guy to experience erectile dysfunction, and I have never had any issues.

3. Matthew

Gold Member

Benadryl's awesome, but it makes me sleepy.

4. dong20

Gold Member

I'm lucky, no known allergies (though I hate getting up early)..

5. Ionto

Ionto New Member

Thanks for the tip. I should have said these antihistamines send me into a hyperactive frenzy! They say they're not sleep inducing ! You tell me ! I didnt sleep for a week on Claritin D!

Never head of Alavert though. Should give that a try. For the moment I'm just putting up with sneezing every five minutes.

6. hypolimnas

hypolimnas Well-Known Member

Hey I used to use the over the counter stuff, then the presciption stuff but none worked well. When I started regulary doubling the prescribed amount and I was still having to lie down all day regularly throughout the summer, full of mucus! It was disgusting and there was no way I could study or have any kind of life.

The best thing for me was acupuncture from a well qualified and experienced Chinese doctor. Needles were applied to my face, arms, hands and feet. I had regular sessions combined with my weekly massage and Chinese herbs. The acupuncture really helped, also my diet has been diary free for 20 years. Today I have no symptoms of hayfever and haven't had any since the first two summers of treatment, getting enough sleep seems to take care of everything these days. Unbelieveable really.

7. jakeatolla

Gold Member

Albums:
    Isn't it a little early for hayfever ? I myself suffer from all the pollenating trees
    right now, and Extra strentgh Benadryl ( 50 mg tablets ) work damn well.
    Fast acting, and luckily for me, they don't make me drowsy.

8. dcwrestlefan

Gold Member

i have been sneezing my ass off all day. damn pollen. my car looked like a chia pet a few weeks ago. green dust growing all over it.

yeh, i got it. flonaze is great if i really get clogged, otherwise tissues are my only savior. i feel your pain.

9. Ionto

Ionto New Member

It probably depends on the geography of the place. I was mercifully free of hayfever in Canada! Here it's the grasses that have been coming into action here!

10. brainzz_n_dong

brainzz_n_dong New Member

A good spray that is OTC is Nasalcrom. It works by slowly desensitizing you to things around you...about 2-3 weeks for full effect. At my local Wal-Mart it runs about $15 for a bottle with 200 sprays...good for about 4-5 weeks of use.

Another good (prescription only) spray is Astelin, which is now making the rounds of tv commericals. My doc has said you can mix it with something like Flonase and get good all-round protection if pills ain't your thing.

I've had allergies since I popped out of the womb so I feel your pain [passing the Kleenex around...]

11. Ionto

Ionto New Member

I see I posted this thread about a year ago, and the hayfever is back again with a vengeance.

Over winter I saw articles about a vaccine against hayfever, possibly in oral form. I asked my pharmacist, but he said I’d have to see a doctor for this.

Anyone with any experience of this – or any other ways to escape the constant flow of liquids that this allergy produces ?

12. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    There is a Chinese herbal tablet called Pe Min. It works well and has no side effects. Bonne chance!

13. viking1

Gold Member

Yep, every year from March to mid or late June it's sneezing, itching eyes,
    runny nose, and sore throat. Antihistamines help some, but they're no miracle cure for me.

14. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Viking: Try the Pe Min. The stuff works really well and it's cheap. Better than drugs.

15. sdg475

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Yeah, I hate allergies. Claratin works okay for me, but I hate how those medicines make your throat dry...isn't that something that it's supposed to help cure?

16. crescendo69

Gold Member

I've been using a singulair every day for allergies/asthma. It works, but the cheapest I can get this prescription is thru the mail with Caremark at $1/day.

17. naughty

Gold Member

Zyrtec, Flonase, saline nasal spray with menthol, and Vick's inhaler...with a touch of mentholatum on my forehead with a dose of tylenol extra strength and a nice dark room for my headaches....

18. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Buy some natural bee pollen raised in the area you live!!! Works like a charm. No side effects!

19. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

I'm 48, almost 49 years old, and this is the first year in my life I have ever reacted badly to pollen. It's been horrible with the headaches and congestion and bleeding sinuses.

We have a pine tree just beyond our deck, and it has been jizzing like crazy this year. I was cleaning the outside of my grill, getting it ready for summer; by the time I finished wiping down one side and started working on the other, the side I just finished with was COATED in pollen again. At least we finally got some rain on Sunday; it drizzled all day and really helped to clean the air. Plus we really needed the water.

20. Ionto

Ionto New Member

Yep. Rain seems to help a lot. It's been wet on and off here too, and that must take a lot of the pollen out of the air.

But next year I'm going to try the allergy vaccine, and I'll keep you posted. Just kick myself I didn't do it while it was still time for this season.

and thanks everyone for all the tips!

Draft saved Draft deleted