Acne problem advice

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by Wideglide23, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Wideglide23

Wideglide23 New Member

I'm 29 and still get bad break outs. I've tried many different products over the years like proactive and many kinds of face washes. I don't get why I haven't out grown the break outs. I live a healthy lifestyle, eat well and stay in great shape. Anybody got any advice on products or medications that maybe helpful? Thanks.

2. D_Miranda_Wrights

D_Miranda_Wrights Account Disabled

Adult acne is a somewhat different beast then teenage acne. The products that work for teenagers do not do well by adults. Focus on looking for an adult salicylic acid cleansers. I'd also take the opportunity to talk to a dermatologist, if you can afford that. Moderate/severe adult acne is not just transient hormones, and if a healthy lifestyle isn't enough, some more serious treatments (e.g., Acutane) could be worth exploring.

Hope that helps. Let us know if there's any treatments you've tried that might help us guide you better. Ultimately, though, a dermatologist is the best bet.

3. Wideglide23

Wideglide23 New Member

Thanks for the advice. Right now I've been using a glycolic/salicylic acid twice a day and not much has really improved. The break outs kinda come in spurts so when I did go see a dermatologist he just gave me the face wash and nothing really else. I have looked into accutane but due to all the side effects I haven't taken it. Any other OTC products or prescription medications you can recommend that I can mention to my dermatologist when I go back? Again thanks for the help.

4. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    Maybe you need a different dermatologist. Accutane CAN work miracles for adult acne but, as you mentioned, the side effects are a concern. Recently it has been suspected as having a causal link to ulcerative colitis, which is no trivial matter.

5. D_tyrshxt

D_tyrshxt New Member

I had severe acne when I was a teen, I believe it was stage 3 or modular acne which causes painful bumps or zits under the surface of the skin. The bumps (acne) were red painful bumps which would not pop like zits and it didn't go away with anything the doctor prescribed. I was prescribed all the face washes, acids, clensers, and nothing worked. I was then prescribed accutane which was the only thing that worked. First, you must determine the type of acne you have, then discuss possible treatments with your doctor. Proactive is a joke, that's actually for people with zits and oily skin, not for people with real acne. I did accutane and it worked wonders, aside from the bad side effects like purple hands, birth defects, dry lips, and constant bloody noses. However, after having painful acne for years, bloody noses seemed like no big deal. I know doctors are hesitant to prescribe it because of its side effects, but it did clear me up that's for sure, so you might have to tell the doctor you are willing to try it cause nothing else works. Let me know if you have any other concerns about it and we can go from there. Good luck!

6. nj2002guy

nj2002guy New Member

actaully I have/had cystic acne.....I just follow the regimen on acne.org and it works well. you dont necessarily have to use their products either

7. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

Have you ever been prescribed Tetralysal (lymecycline) before? It's really effective in clearing up acne, and is often prescribed for people with adult acne....

I have a genetic skin condition which among other things causes mild adult acne and thankfully I don't have it any more because I've been using Tetralysal.

8. Maxime_

Maxime_ New Member

Same thing for me...only accutane works for severe acne or at least it worked perfectly for my own type.

Yes it has many side effects; the worst one for me was the constant need of lip balm and the very dry lips (it is gross when your lips get very dry!), the bloody nose and worst of all it has a bad effect on physical activity. I had strong and constant pain all over my body, every time i worked out. And my job requires a strong and constantly fit body so imagine! i woke up some mornings and almost could't find the concrete strenght to train again....but if you don't work out as much, it will be ok for you.

By the way, your doctor will prescribe you blood examination every month to check your values, cuz it may influence them, as it is a very strong medicine. Finally, you absolutely don't have to expose yourself to direct sunlight during the cure, cuz you may get serious reactions.

I know it seems like a nightmare, but acne and acne scars are A LOT WORSE! so try and solve your problem as soon as you can, under constant medical surveillance. Good luck!;)

9. RiderChicago

RiderChicago New Member

Albums:
    Epiduo. Works wonders.

10. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Sea Mud Soap, Oil Control Lotion and
    pHelityl Cream worked like a charm for me. I still use the products but not for acne anymore.

Erno Laszlo Official Online Store

11. 92philip

92philip New Member

Albums:
    Accutane is a very serious drug, however, I took it and it made a huge difference. I had bad acne all over my face, arms, back, chest, and shoulders. One week on Accutane and all the acne was gone. 5 months later I was completely acne free. It's been almost three years since I've been on it, and I still have clear skin. It's great. Side effects are serious, but the stuff does work

12. fogg098

fogg098 New Member

Great products for oily/problem skin:

EPIONCE lytic gel cleanser. YOU CAN FEEL THAT SHIT WORK. kind of a pricy dermatologist line that you can only find dermatology clinics.

Effalcar lotion by La Roche Posay. start by applying once at night and then after a week or so you can start put it on 3 times a day.

Always moisturize day and night. stronger cleansers can be drying and promote your skin to produce more oil because so much stuff has been stripped off of your skin. balancing it out with a very light weight moisturizer will keep your skin from producing too much oil and crap. AND ALWAYS WEAR SUNSCREEN.

PCA makes a nice day time moisturizer with SPF and it's very affordable. Again, only available from a derm or "med spa"

ALA/Blue light treatment helps. HOWEVER, as with all laser treatments, it is PRICEY. and you have to avoid the sun like it's death itself for like 2 days. Two of my friends did that in high school (they had severe cystic acne). Your skin will peel for about 2 weeks but both of them had fantastic results. Usually need to do more than one treatment though.

13. fangirl

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    accutane is the best that i have heard of from friends. another good product is that paul mitchel tea tree stuff, both the soap and the shampoo. once knew a guy with bad bad acne. so bad that it left pockmarks. well, dude would wash his face with the shampoo and his body with the bar. it sounds strange, even to me, but it worked for him. the bumps wer less sore and aggrivated and smaller. and it was relatively cheap. he used the generic from sally's.
    now doing that shampoo thing did not completely get rid of his acne, but it did stop him looking like he had a vd on his face. and if it dont work for you...well...use in on your hair. good luck. adult acne is really rough.

14. southernstud

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Accutane is pretty serious, but a good derm/md will not try to push the stuff on you all at once. Current research indicates that a lower dosage, spanned over a long time, titrates the body and is just as effective with a drastic drop in side effects. Accutane works by titrating itself within your body, so most derms will try to hit a high dose all at once--which is really hell on the body--so a lower dose can be good, you will just have to take it a few months longer than the higher dose. It's a great tradeoff when you consider the decrease in side effects in exchange for a few extra months of popping a pill. Also, you don't have to get blood work as frequently if you are using a lower dose (doctor's preference of course, but usually, healthy individuals on a lower dose are at a lower risk).

Before going to the hardcore meds though, consider some of the alternatives. I saw someone mention epiduo....save your money and just as for generic Differin and a Benzoylperoxide face wash (you go from $300/month [no insurance price] on a tube of epiduo, to $50 for the generics, and with the same effect). There are a lot of things to try, as well as a great deal of antibiotics. Some mentioned hormones, and that can be the culprit, and since guys can't go on birth control...that leaves antibiotics.

If you do get on an antibiotic, they are almost guaranteed to be members of the tetracycline family. Minocycline will be the probable first-pick for most doctors. It's safe, not as reactive or restrictive as far as dietary concerns. Second will be doxycycline, followed by more pure tetracyclines. These are not usually prescribed alone. They are usually given with a face wash or topical: benzoyl peroxide, clindamycin, differin, retin-a, or even a gentle cleanser like cetaphil.

There are tons of options out there on things to try...and one quick note on the antibiotics. The primary goal is to reduce the occurrence of Propionibacterium acnes which is the bacteria that is responsible for most acne. The topical treatment is usually two-fold: reduce the acne and help reduce sebum production...that plugs the follicle and lets these great anaerobic bacteria grow like mad. The antibiotics, recently, have been shown to have an anti-inflammatory effect. So, initially, you may be at a higher dose, and will be stepped down over time until you reach a happy balance and are cleared up.

Sorry for the long-winded reply, but this is such a common thing, and a lot of the infomercials make it seem like their product is the next fix (but it's all hype). Best of luck!

15. cvcgolf

cvcgolf Active Member

Albums:
    Bro, your troubles are just about to come to an end.. This site sells all natural soaps that are incredibly better then the artificial store bought crap.. Go here and read the Testimonials and then order up some Dead Sea Spa soap and you'll be noticing an improvement within weeks.. They're big bars and last quite a long time.. I've been using their soaps for face, body and hair.. Do it!

Chagrin Valley All Natural Handmade Soap

16. damboi2008

damboi2008 Member

I had a bad ance problem for years, been on acutane, doxycyclin, tetracyclin.... u name it. Alot of it is just hormonal - best thing i found was washing with a mild soap (dove worked best) 2 or 3 times daily. And if you have a really bad break out area - this sounds weird but i swear by it, put a really really really thin layer of toothpaste on it over night, by morning the redness and swelling has gone down.

PS do not pick at them, it just makes them swell and sore.

17. SCSea

SCSea Member

I like LaRoche-Posay stuff too. Effeclar is effective without being so drying you peel.

What works for me (late 30s, mostly blackheads with a few pimples from time to time, sensitive but oily skin) is a .5% sal acid cleanser (MiraClear 12) 2x/day, 2% sal + glycolic toner at night, LaRoche Posay Anthelios SX sunscreen face/neck every day.

Accutane did wonders for me in college. I had nodular/cystic acne and am very, very fair-skinned, so the redness was really noticeable. I'd try a long course of antibiotics first, like minocycline or topicals like Cleocin. If you haven't tried Retin-A or Tazorac, they're worth a try before you break out the really big gun, too.

The biggest factor is consistency. 2x/day, every day, even when I come home blazed and just want to go to bed.

18. Viper73

Viper73 Active Member

Albums:
    Wideglide23,

I DEFINATELY understand your situation... I'm 38 and went through acne hell since fourth grade! I tried virtually everything out there, changed my diet... probably paid for my derms BMW... etc. NOTHING worked.

Four months ago, I ran into an old girlfriend of mine. We hadn't seen each other since high school and she felt so bad for me still having to deal with my dysfunctional skin. One thing led to another and we got talking - she'd pretty much always had perfect skin.

I finally came out and asked her - what in the hell do you use? She and I grew up as neighbors, had similar diets, etc. Since we were in the local mall, she drug me to her shopping mecca... the Clinique counter.

I figured I've literally tried everything else, whats $50 more. (Plus I was enjoying seeing her again. :biggrin1:)

I went through about fifty questions with the clerk which Amy helped me answer... Women really have their own language. The clerk first started pitching their 'mens' line and Amy shot her down immediately. The clerk then disappears. My girlfriend told me the 'core' line she uses has been around for over 30 years and that's the only stuff that does work.

A few minutes later, she comes back with this four-step kit that I basically was instructed to use EXCLUSIVELY morning and night until it's gone. There was a cleanser, toner, (something called Turnaround), and a gel moisturizer). She told me to hang onto the bottles so I know what I'm using for when it needs refilled.

First 2-3 days things looked awful - even worse than before. Was ready to give up after the way they both insisted that it will work I figured, why not. About a week into the thing I started noticing small changes. I'm not just about out of the stuff and literally have the best skin I have ever had in my life!

Kit lasts about 2.5-3 months...

I'd have never gotten this far by myself and it totally pisses me off that the doctors I've been to (several) over the years couldn't find anything that worked... but my girlfriend did in about 30 minutes! The hardest part was checking my 'guy card' at the door and letting Amy and the clerk do their thing.

Being straight, I'd never expected to find myself in the cosmetics department - little lone the Clinique counter. While this may not work for everyone - who knows, maybe it does - it definately worked for me. Any embarrassment or reservations I had about the whole experience are FAR outweighed by the results.

19. Blorkin

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    Acne is a skin problem. So you should go see a dermatologist and get a prescription. My dermatologist is great I just got a new prescription about a month ago and I am seeing great improvement. Just take the dermatologists advice and do what they say and you should have no problem.

20. Thirdlegproduction

Thirdlegproduction Formerly WhiteMonst3r
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Accutane was the cure for me, noticed no side effects besides dry lips.

All the cosmetic products are focused at the external part of the skin, so they fix the effects but not the causes.

Draft saved Draft deleted