Acne Scars

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by tross87, Dec 2, 2010.

1. tross87

tross87 Member

Almost as dreaded as acne itself. I used to always get these way annoying cyst like things that were pretty deep under my skin and so they werent really noticeable in high school. But they left some scars, theyve faded a bit but it looks like my skin is 'chipped' not very deep but still noticeable.
    I've noticed that theyve slowly been healing but going to be starting college next year and I wanna look good lol.

Anyway was going to get one of those micro dermabrasion things but this product caught my eye.
    Derma-Rollers.com
    Does this work? The site looks scammish.

Hoping it does since it's cheap but still dont want to waste money on it if it's a clear scam im just completely ignorant when it comes to health things like this.

2. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well I suppose I'm in a minority, but I think acne scars can look quite hot. Kinda proof you've got hormones...

Anyhow, in later years you'll be glad of your greasy, spotty teenage skin when you don't wrinkle as fast as the previously blemish-free.

3. leapyear

leapyear Member

MarkLondon - I wasn't going to be the first to admit it but since you went first...I've had several deep attractions to fellows with a bit of scaring remnants...

4. bigbull29

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've heard other say that, too. Interesting.

5. tross87

tross87 Member

wasnt expecting this reaction :S

6. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I was really lucky I did not have any scars from acne, but I did from an automobile accident. I had dermabrasion and I would really suggest even if you are going to have micro dermabrasion that you go to a licensed dermatologist and don't try anything at home or from an esthetician.
    You only have one face!

7. SouthernSpunk

SouthernSpunk Member

This is, without question, the weirdest sexual admission I can make... I really dig acne scarring, especially on older men (post 30). I'm not sure where it comes from, probably cause I hate "cute" guys. Scars are hot too, somebody tell me why. LOL.

8. SCSea

SCSea Member

As for the device? Total scam. To fix acne scarring, you have to get pretty deep into the dermis, not just the epidermis. Microdermabrasion might smooth out the edges of the texture problems enough to make it look better in the right light, but it won't fix the underlying structural problems. You'll need either a deep peel (under sedation or general anesthesia), medical laser (nurse or MD-operated) or full dermabrasion to get lasting results. There are also fillers to puff up pitting.

Lasers and fillers have zero downtime - do 'em at lunch, go back to work. The other options are serious major procedures and you won't want to be seen in public for a week or more, and you'll be red and scaly for a few weeks after that. OTOH, you'll look great when it's healed, and if that makes you feel more confident and desirable, you'll radiate that energy.

I too don't mind guys who look "rugged". But if a guy is clearly bothered by his skin, it's gonna show in his attitude.

9. tross87

tross87 Member

damnit all that stuff sounds expensive

10. joe bltsflk

joe bltsflk Member

Having acne at any age is a drag, but when you still have it at age 60+, it is a major impediment to physical intimacy(and getting a haircut). Scars might be sexy, but oozing wounds are not.:frown1:

11. D_Purlie W Papules

D_Purlie W Papules Account Disabled

I never had facial acne, but I did have it on my back and shoulders from age 13-24. I have scars on my shoulders, and I used to be really self-conscious about them, so much that I never ever took off my shirt in public. In the past few years I've come to accept that my scars are just part of me, and there is nothing wrong with me because I have them. I honestly don't really think about them much anymore, whereas I used to obsess over them.

I would stay away from any at-home treatment/product/lotion/potion/miracle cream.
    If you really have concerns, see a dermatologist, otherwise, view your scars as something unique about you! When I see another guy with acne scars, I'm not repulsed, rather, I think, "hey we've got something in common!"

12. SCSea

SCSea Member

Unfortunately, yes.

Strangely, though, a lot of it can be covered by insurance; the damage caused by acne is damaged caused by an infection. Some carriers treat it the same way that skin repair after "flesh-eating bacteria" infection would be covered.

Rough costs range from around $500 for a "medium depth peel" (TCA/Jessner's) which can really improve texture and give you about two years of results (more if you are super-aggressive with home care afterwards (salicylic acid cleanser, sunscreen, etc) to about $750 for a syringe of injectable filler (enough for about 15 good-sized pits, lasting about a year and a half) and goes to about $3000 for a full-on laser resurfacing with a couple of punch grafts. If you live in an area with a med school, it's worth finding out of there's a training clinic where the work is done by residents under supervision of attending physicians. Unlike carve-'em-up plastic surgery, there's very little risk of long-lasting problems from being someone's training case, and you could save 30% or so.

13. tross87

tross87 Member

When you say, "two years of results" and "lasting about a year and a half" do you mean that the treatments you said this about aren't permanent?

I thought that insurance wouldn't cover acne related things for sure but what you said is interesting, going to have to look into it.

But yeah, guess Im going to see my doc and poke around.

14. SCSea

SCSea Member

Yeah, that's the really shitty part - only lasers, punch grafts and deep peels (like, your face falls off) are permanent. Fillers and medium-depth peels wear out. On the upside, though, you pay every year or two, not a giant chunk up front, and they can fix things quickly - like, go in with craters, come out without 'em.

Your skin does change over time, though - for example, I needed fillers to fix some serious ice-pick-type scars for a few years, but as I filled out some and went from looking 14 to looking 25 and my facial musculature changed (the result of hormones and time), the skin stretched over the features and the texture improved such that I don't get fillers anymore. On the other hand, as collagen changes, especially in smokers, deep pitting can become deep crescent-shaped potholes and you look much worse over time.

A derm is the right resource; if the problem is just that the scarred area has an uneven color, for example, you can fix that with a topical. It can take a year or more to get even skin tone after the zits and cysts are gone, but that can be sped up with various well-tolerated creams. And maybe your answer is some fillers to fix the worst of the damage, retinoids to promote collagen formation and waiting a few years to see what you end up needing.

15. im8cut

im8cut New Member

Albums:
    now ive heard everything

16. D_Crimea_River

D_Crimea_River Account Disabled

Yeah I have Acne scars. And get knocked back for them, or accused of being "older", People place FAR too much emphasis on appearances. Or parts of a persons appearance (like acne, or the scars it can leave)

Draft saved Draft deleted