"Across the Universe" on DVD

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by naughty, May 18, 2008.

1. naughty

Gold Member

How many people have seen this film by Julie Taymor? I absolutely loved it and on many levels it resonated with me. It gave me a whole new appreciation for the Beatles and their impressive body of work. Any thoughts?

2. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

I saw it and have it. It is very good. I like the first seen on the beach. I love The Beatles.

3. naughty

Gold Member

I loved it from start to finish. I dont think I will ever tire of this film. I dont know where to start in praising the film. I loved the cameos by Joe Cocker and Bono.

4. kinkyyinky

kinkyyinky New Member

same i really really liked it. i'm never too optimistic about broadway style films but Chicago and Across the Universe have definitely changed my mind, Rent was a very bad movie though =(

5. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Joe Cocker is great. Im a big fan of his from way back.

6. naughty

Gold Member

OMG, wasnt it? I was SO not feeling RENT! It was totally stuck in a time warp. Whereas both "CHicago" and "Across the Universe" had the ability to transcend their time and place.
    Going back to ATU, didnt you love the introduction of the Janis Joplinesque Sadie and Jojo's Jimi Hendrix like character?

7. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I love Joe Cocker, not Bono so much, but he did a great job. After watching it in theaters (I didn't see it right away) I immediately found the soundtrack online and downloaded it. :p I also have a lot of Beatles music too.

One of my favorite scenes was the army one, with the song I Want You (She's So Heavy). A bunch of people in the theater laughed at the cheerleader part with Prudence singing about the girl.

8. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Did this just come out? Ive had this a good while now.

9. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I think it came out months ago, when exactly I'm not sure. Maybe early enough for the whole Christmas rush.

10. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

I thought so. Ive had it a couple of months before Christmas at least. Its a good movie.

11. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I loved it. I only wish they had played the music louder! And it seems like Mr. Jim Sturgess has made himself a career from it. Too bad 21 was only okay and super predictable.

12. naughty

Gold Member

How stupid! I swear people will laugh at anything. The way they turned the song "I want to hold your hand" into something unexpected with Prudence was wonderful. It definitely took me by surprise. I had to check it out a couple of times to make sure what I was seeing. Then I realized her reason for leaving her hometown. Her lesbianism definitely wouldnt have been made at home in her small town America experience.

I loved that "I want you " scene as well and then to see the song used in the context of Prudence mooning over Sadie was great. How did you like the use of puppetry? That is Julie Taymor's signature.

13. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I was surprised too. Poor Prudence, having so much trouble finding love. But yeah, I wouldn't know from experience, but it had to be tough to be gay in those times, especially in a small town.

Me too, I loved how it used it for Max with the army, and Prudence with Sadie. I also loved how they were carrying the Statue of Liberty when it said She's So Heavy. And I thought the puppetry was fantastic! Puppets rock. :p

14. naughty

Gold Member

I have a wonderful book in my office chronicalling Julie Taymor's career. Have you ever seen her movie Titus Andronicus with Anthony Hopkins? It is wonderful as well.

15. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I can't say that I have. What is it about (I could google it, but I'd rather hear it from you. :p)

16. naughty

Gold Member

IT is based on the Shakespeare tragedy, Titus Andronicus. Warning I had to google it to get a well turned explanation for you. I havent seen it since September 11, 2001. I was watching it in my office with friends while Washington was smoking and people were running down the streets.

Here it is...

War begets revenge. Victorious general, Titus Andronicus, returns to Rome with hostages: Tamora queen of the Goths and her sons. He orders the eldest hewn to appease the Roman dead. He declines the proffered emperor's crown, nominating Saturninus, the last ruler's venal elder son. Saturninus, to spite his brother Bassianus, demands the hand of Lavinia, Titus's daughter. When Bassianus, Lavinia, and Titus's sons flee in protest, Titus stands against them and slays one of his own. Saturninus marries the honey-tongued Tamora, who vows vengeance against Titus. The ensuing maelstrom serves up tongues, hands, rape, adultery, racism, and Goth-meat pie. There's irony in which two sons survive.

17. BikerGirlnAtl

BikerGirlnAtl New Member

I agree, Across the Universe was awesome.

18. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Sounds intriguing. I have to ask though, is it very Old English style dialog? I've never been very fond of it. Or anything that isn't regular English. Like Jim in Huck Finn, it was almost torture reading his dialog sometimes. :p

19. B_lamdellboo

B_lamdellboo New Member

Let's just say it's one of my favorite movies ever. The end.

20. naughty

Gold Member

It was quite understandable . It was placed in an almost futuristic setting.

Draft saved Draft deleted