Acting Presidential

Discussion in 'Politics' started by midlifebear, Mar 19, 2009.

1. midlifebear

Gold Member

I'm as pissed as anyone regarding the bailouts, but I have to admire Obama's up front position regarding the AIG bonuses.

Quote from today's New York Times: “Washington is all in a tizzy over who’s at fault,” Mr. Obama said. “Some say it’s the Democrats’ fault, the Republicans’ fault. Listen, I’ll take responsibility. I’m the president.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/19/us/politics/19obama.html?th&emc=th

If nothing else, it's remarkably refreshing after eight years of allowing only Bush supporters and Bushites attend Bush's public appearances and public speeches. :knockedout:

2. Flashy

Gold Member

so, my friend, i guess you missed the fact where he then sort of said it was somebody else's fault, even though it was his administration who said it was okay to protect those contracts that he didn't draft? :biggrin1::wink:

"We didn't draft these contracts," he said. "We've got a lot on our plate. But it is appropriate when you're in charge to make sure stuff doesn't happen like this. So for everybody in Washington who's busy scrambling to try to figure out how to blame somebody else, just go ahead and talk to me, because it's my job to fix these messes even if I don't make them."

it sounds sort of like a bit of wormy hedging to me...i'll take responsiblity, so long as you know it was not my fault...a bit strange, no?

and "we've got a lot on our plate?" come on dude...you're the president of the united states...did you think there would not be alot on your plate?

Surely he could have not gone on ESPN for about a half hour worth of filming his picks on a board of the NCAA COllege Hoops tournament, and he had alot on his plate but he could go on Leno and ESPN to explain his analysis of the entire 64 team college basketball field, his picks for every single game, bracket and tournament, but couldn't make sure this AIG business was done right?

i do not think he is a bad guy, but come on...he is dancing around it.

3. nicenycdick

Gold Member

Albums:
    And how should he respond? He took responsibility. That, in and of itself, is refreshing. It's exactly what I would have said and what I have said in real life when in a management position. Sometimes shit happens on your shift...you can point fingers or you can accept responsibility and resolve it. After practicing law for 20 years, I know stuff is always missed in all contracts and deals, no matter how competent the drafters. You look at it, try to find out why it happened, and you then try to fix it. I think that is what he has done.

4. Flashy

Gold Member

indeed, stuff is missed in contracts and deals...but what about when it is your firm who deliberately inserts something into a contract at their direction? That is not something that is missed...that is something your firm knew it was doing. that was not some little slip you missed going over the cotnract...that was something you put in deliberately...kind of hard to miss something you insisted on as being part of the changing of a specific part of the contract.

how should he respond? by taking full responsibility and saying we okayed it...because they did. they did not form the contracts, but his administration deliberately had the provision inserted that allowed the contracts to go ahead when in fact the two senators, who acted bipartisanly, Snowe and Hayden, in sponsoring the bill, were baffled at how that suddenly got in there.

Obama's adminstration ordered the provision inserted. Dodd confirmed it.

they were wrong. completely. you want to take responsiblity, then do it in full. He has not done that.

as i said, he is dancing.

is this a big deal in the grand scheme of things? Was it illegal? Of course not. But it would be nice to see a *GENUINE* mea culpa on something small...god knows what will happen when there is (and there always is in every administration) something majorly wrong that they are at fault for or screwed up.

you can't say, oh i take responsiblity but it is not my fault. Come on.

Either take it, or don't. They insisted on those provisions being put in the bill...take the hit and move on.

5. pym

pym New Member

Hey Flashy! :wavey:

JOEBAMA!:biggrin1:

6. nicenycdick

Gold Member

Albums:
    The administration's response to all this is that they could not remove those contractual provisions without jeopardizing the legality of the legislation. While that is probably true (the government can not constitutionally interfere in prior legal contractual relationships), I'm sure that with some creativity the issue could have and should have been handled differently. In fact, I have no doubt whatsoever that it remained because of serious lobbying from banking interests. After all, Democrats are politicians also and they have been and will be susceptable to special interests. For me, it is all a matter of degree. I don't believe the Bush administration would have handled it this way. I don't think you would have heard any declaration of responsibility, nor would there be any serious attempt to, after the fact, make meaningful adjustments. I have dealt intimately with both democrat and republican politicians in local government and their ultimate concern was always whether or not they would be re-elected. That was always the paramount concern and it always gave special interests more power than they should have had. But Obama's way of responding here is certainly refreshing, even if it does not mean that angels have suddenly entered the White House. All it means to me is that there is somebody there who recognizes that he has to answer to us...or at least make us believe he does. Maybe that is all we can hope for from our politicians. And sometimes, things really are as they seem...

7. Flashy

Gold Member

while i agree with the intelligence and spirit of your very excellent post, i still believe that only a half/sorta/"blame me, but not really" approach is not exactly the best of what we hope for in government, be it republican or democrat. granted it is not Bush, but it is not exactly Honest Abe.

8. nicenycdick

Gold Member

Albums:
    Nope...I agree. It is not exactly Honest Abe. But neither was Honest Abe. I am sure you are aware that he freed only slaves living in the seceding states with the Emancipation Proclamation and that's his motivation was to encourage African-Americans in the Southern states to rise up and fight the confederacy. Even (or maybe especially) Lincoln was a politician...

And thank you for your critique.

9. Flashy

Gold Member

indeed, i agree about Lincoln...the proclamation was perhaps more for expediency, convenience and support, rather than idealism. However, politics were far starker back then, dealing with the national problems of that time, so long ago were infinitely more frightening and complex.

When politicians took stands back then, there usually was no "wiggle room".

While he certainly was not "totally honest abe" i would say he was "much more honest than most, abe" :wink:

10. nicenycdick

Gold Member

Albums:
    Now, that is something I would love to have the time to investigate! Was Politics in the middle 1800's less or more underhanded/behind-the-scenes-deal-making/dishonest than Politics today? An interesting project, I think.

11. Flashy

Gold Member

I wold agree very much...perhaps we should start a new thread on that, since we would probably take this off topic...

but it is definitely an interesting topic worth discussing...start the thread and i will enthusiastically join you :biggrin1:

Draft saved Draft deleted