Actor for Sal Mineo bio officially cast...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by elegant20, May 11, 2011.

1. elegant20

Gold Member

2. HellsKitchenmanNYC

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's about time Sal's real story is to be told. It's going to be hard to find an actor w/his qualities and pathos. I think it's also going to be hard to make this a great film if this is his first time directing. Remember how Kevin Spacey completely ruined the movie bio of one of my fave people--Bobby Darin! Glad it's being done tho.

3. midlifebear

Gold Member

Naw, I can't buy it. Sal Mineo shared in the same rare quality of his "died early and left a good-looking corpse" colleagues; something more than just a "look." Whoever is producing this biopic needs to find an Italian ballet dancer whose face is changed by shadows to a Puerto Rican or generic Native American.

When and/or if you're in NYC, go to the Guggenheim Museum and check out a painting called "The New Adam," by Harold Stevenson. Mineo served as the model for Stevenson's nude study and . . . well, you'll see what I mean about needing a male with a ballet dancer's body and a universal "ethnic" look. The painting is considered the definitive American male nude.

Possily, given enough rehearsal time, Meryl Streep could do a better job recreating him on TV or movie screen than James Franco?

4. elegant20

Gold Member

There was no one that ever looked like him. He had one of the most attractive ethnic looking Sicilian faces to grace on the screen. While he didn't have the huge fanbase of Rock Hudson, Anthony Perkins, Tony Curtis, or Marlon Brando, he was visually the most attractive guy on screen. Yes, he did quickly became obsolete once the year 1960 ended for him, but there was hardly any actor that had that magnetism like Sal.

#4 elegant20, May 13, 2011
    Last edited: May 13, 2011
  5. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I was tickled by what midlifebear said about Meryl Streep and it's probably true. Unfortunately no one in Hollywood can really pull this off. If they (the producers) had any brains they would have looked for someone unknown who at least could have pulled off the physical issue and hopefully had a smidgen of his magnetism to play the role.

The one thing I learned about Hollywood a long time ago. No one turns something great down to play an inferior part in a substandard production. People take the best things being offered.

Draft saved Draft deleted