Actors that were originally suppose to play a role in the movie...

Novaboy

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally, Ernest Borgine was considered for the title role of My Fair Lady...or was it Mary Poppins? Either way he turned both roles down
and did the McHale's Navy television series instead.

Funny how things work out. I just read that Julie Andrews is going to play Ernest in the Ernest Borgnine Story.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Due to the success of Whatever Happened to Baby Jane (1962) and the pairing of Bette Davis and Joan Crawford Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte (1964) was originally slated to feature the same pairing.

Reliable rumor has it that Davis terrorized Crawford to such a degree that Crawford (much as I adore the gal) feigned illness (was hospitalized too) and caved. Subsequently Olivia de Haviland took over the role.

I cannot imagine anyone playing THIS SCENE but de Havilland.

The urled scene above is, arguably, my all time favorite movie scene. de Havilland is the embodiment of pure evil.

At ninety-three and living in Paris de Havilland is one (if not the only) surviving member of the Hollywood's Golden Age of first big name stars. Her younger sister (by only a year) Joan Fontaine survives as well.

Bbucko said:
Norma was married to Irving Thalberg, which meant that she could cherry pick every decent role being considered by MGM. Joan was right to be pissed about that..

You nailed that directly on the head.

.. but her anger turned to a nasty bitterness that did no one (least of all her kids) any good at all.

Though one uncompromising taskmaster Crawford was, according to many reliable sources, not the monster of her adopted daughter's posthumous biography. Christina's Joan legacy has been challenged by many yet few will listen to those who come to Joan's defense. The myth of Mommie Dearest - as over-blown and exaggerated as it was - has been refuted by Joan's two younger children Cathy and Cindy. Pity that the career of one of Hollywood's most beautiful and enduring stars had to be so irrevocably tarnished by that payback book written by the disinherited Tina and made into that fairytale of high camp by Dunaway.

Christina (IMO) = sour grapes.

Last edited:

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
In The Truman Show (one of my all time favorites) Dennis Hopper was originally cast as Christof, but walked off the set after his first day. Ed Harris replaced him and went on to win the Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actor and an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor.
(and I can't imagine Hopper in the role)

elegant20

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Barbara Kent is still alive as well.....I believe she is going to be 103 on December 16. She even outlived Myrna Loy, too.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I read in her Wikipedia page that Jane Fonda turned down both Bonnie and Clyde and Rosemary's Baby. The first would have been pretty much the same, but the latter would have been completely different.

elegant20

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
You know, the feud between Bette and Joan started much further than that. It was over for Franchot Tone and that was when Bette never liked Joan to begin with because of that.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes I know elegant20.

But the real genesis of their dislike of one another was that back in the 30s Joan was considered MGM's most beautiful star. Davis didn't hold a candle to her looks-wise and used it as a basis to dislike Crawford.

I'm in the process of helping write a new Crawford biography that finally gives the woman born Lucille LeSueur some balanced perspective. I'm working with two gents in California to this end. My knowledge of Crawford is substantial.

Crawford early 30s (with Gable)

Davis during the same period while at Warner Bros.

Last edited:

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Coppola began shooting Apocalypse Now with Harvey Keitel in the lead role, which later was taken over by Martin Sheen (when it was decided that Keitel just wasn't right for the part).

Originally, Paul Newman was going to play The Sundance Kid, and Robert Redford was going to play Butch Cassidy (I have fun trying to imagine that, but I'm glad they switched).

A number of scenes were shot on the set of You Only Live Twice with Czech actor Jan Werich in the role of James Bond's arch-enemy Blofeld, before the producers realized it wasn't working out. Donald Pleasance was hastily hired to take on the iconic role.

elegant20

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
A little bit that is not related to a movie, but mostly to a show, but here goes:

The role of Charles in the series, Charles In Charge, was originally passed down to Michael J. Fox to play the lead, but he refused to accept it and stayed with Family Ties instead. The role was then handed to Scott Baio to play the lead. Boy, that would have been a different show with Michael J. Fox and without Alex Keaton in Family Ties. Had he accept that role.....Family Ties would have went downhill and canceled quickly without a second glance. Glad he stayed with Family Ties.

MC1000

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Richard Gere has made a career of taking roles rejected by John Travolta.
1. Days of Heaven
2. American Gigolo
3. An Officer and a Gentleman
4. Chicago

I also heard he was Travolta's understudy in the theatrical version of Grease.

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
The only other thing that springs to mind is that Buddy Ebsen was cast as the Tin Man in The Wizard Of Oz, but he became ill from the silver makeup and was recast.
W.C. Fields was offered the part of the cowardly lion, which ultimately went to Burt Lahr. Fields had an overlapping commitment that he wasn't able to break.

elegant20

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Somehow I couldn't imagine WC Fields playing the Lion.....I always imagine as the guy with the hidden innuendo jokes, but that's just me.