Actors who came out gay from old Hollywood that their careers never resurfaced...

elegant20

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Which actor was hurt the most when they came out gay and their careers never recovered after that? Which actor do you believe had the most unlucky streak since he came out...Not to those that did well on their own like William Haines(interior design), etc...but those that suffered the most that were either blacklisted or shun from Hollywood ever since.

BadBoyCanada

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Which actor was hurt the most when they came out gay and their careers never recovered after that? Which actor do you believe had the most unlucky streak since he came out...Not to those that did well on their own like William Haines(interior design), etc...but those that suffered the most that were either blacklisted or shun from Hollywood ever since.

Hollywood is pretty gay friendly, so being blacklisted is unlikely. Neil Patrick Harris caught on fire after coming out.

But tougher still, acting is such a hot/cold business. There are many actors who were a one trick pony (Bronson Pinchot, Alfonso Ribreio) that gay or not, their star only shone briefly. (I know those 2 aren't reportedly gay).

Empathizer

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I think he meant Classic Hollywood, like the time of the Studio System.

Like how Rock Hudson didn't come out even as he was dying of AIDS, which, given the timing of incubation or HIV, onset, then onset of AIDS, then death of an Opportunistic Infection, put him squarely in the category of "got it from unprotected homosexual sex or from needle sharing." He didn't have track marks, so...

BadBoyCanada

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think he meant Classic Hollywood, like the time of the Studio System.

Like how Rock Hudson didn't come out even as he was dying of AIDS, which, given the timing of incubation or HIV, onset, then onset of AIDS, then death of an Opportunistic Infection, put him squarely in the category of "got it from unprotected homosexual sex or from needle sharing." He didn't have track marks, so...

Even in the "Golden Era", I think there still was an attitude of "nothing too extreme". We're hearing lots of stories now. Back then, they didn't have TMZ, Perez Hilton, etc who makes available, instantly, the day to day lives of the celebs.

Empathizer

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
No there wasn't.

You must be in your teens or twenties, because there was a time that I, a 33-year-old, can remember, when it was absolutely unheard-of for an openly-gay actor to play a straight heartthrob. NPH is a pioneer and an exception, not a continuation of a tradition or an example of the rule.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think under the structure of the "Old Studio System" they were protected by the studios and the press and lived their private lives under the radar.
I think that many people in show business still try lead their lives out of the harsh glare of the limelight and publicity. It's a whole new world with the www but I think it's still possible to work in the business and have a private life. It's called being discrete and selective with whom you have your escapades.
I think it's great for the people in whatever their business who are out and are comfortable with it, but I always find it bizarre that the gay community expects it; anyones personal life and choices are their own business. Go to see a movie because you respect that persons work or you like the way they look etc.
I think Hollywood would become much more exciting again we put a little more mystery back into the business and let peoples imagination and fantasies about actors go to work again. Thanks to the internet I think we all have just a tad too much information sometimes.

BadBoyCanada

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No there wasn't.

You must be in your teens or twenties, because there was a time that I, a 33-year-old, can remember, when it was absolutely unheard-of for an openly-gay actor to play a straight heartthrob. NPH is a pioneer and an exception, not a continuation of a tradition or an example of the rule.

Actually, creeping on 40. :15: But was/is naive as hell.

And I thought the OP was talking of a closeted actor coming out, then because of that, the career going in the toilet.

I agree with all of your opinions. Being openly Gay is something relatively new. I don't expect a gay actor will ever to play (successfully) a straight heart throb. And by that5, I mean the audience won't buy it.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Which one? The first or the second? (Ohhhhh, I am bitchy when hookups flake on me!)

This is a quote from his Wikipedia page:

The fact is that you could not be, and still cannot be, a 25-year-old homosexual trying to make it in the British film business or the American film business or even the Italian film business. It just doesn't work and you're going to hit a brick wall at some point. You're going to manage to make it roll for a certain amount of time, but at the first sign of failure they'll cut you right off... Honestly, I would not advise any actor necessarily, if he was really thinking of his career, to come out.[18]

might have been the overdone plastic surgery that arrested his career :eek:

As I recall, those especially hideous pix were a combo of bad lighting and too much Botox. I have seen recent photos of him looking much more himself again.

Personally, I think there's nothing inherently shameful about aging gracefully, but I don't make a living on having my appearance scrutinized 24/7, either.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
What would have changed if the incubation period, the onset of AIDS, and death from an opportunistic infection typically occurred in six weeks?
Am I missing something, toots?