Actual average penis size

jasonthefrench

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I lately read that recent study made over 15000 young male stated that actual penis size erected is barely 5 inches. And some scientists have the presentiment that i could be at least one inch shorter, because guys with big penises are more likely to answer to such studies that guys with small one.
That would make the average penis size a barely 4 inches when erected.
What do you actually think ?

Reactions: XXXWolverineXXX

Alex22876

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Jason, I believe the average is larger then the average that your study shows of a little over 5 inches!! I have been with a lot of guys and the size is much bigger in my experience then that!! Bill
Not saying I want to get into this whole thing (again), but the studies authors (I guess he is stating) listed the higher reported numbers in other studies as being due to the fact that guys that are bigger are more likely to "self-report."

Does that logic hold any weight in regards to sexual activity? I don't mean it as a binary type thing that they all get afraid and don't have sex and this are out of your sample size, but even a 10% chunk of the smaller side of the distribution self-segmenting themselves out of the sexual activity due to embarrassment would impact the total higher.

Drops the mic!

Reactions: bobg4400 and BillM

Notaes

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I lately read that recent study made over 15000 young male stated that actual penis size erected is barely 5 inches. And some scientists have the presentiment that i could be at least one inch shorter, because guys with big penises are more likely to answer to such studies that guys with small one.
That would make the average penis size a barely 4 inches when erected.
What do you actually think ?

that's bullshit!

Reactions: BillM

sdp

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
IIRC, that meta-study only included a few hundred erect penis measurements, the rest was stretched flaccid, but a few hundreds is still a reasonable sample size.

The reason why they ended up with such a small figure for erect length is they were oblivious of the measurement methods and mixed up bone pressed and non bone pressed studies. At least one of the four studies they used was definitely NBP.

Snakebyte

Superior Member
Media
A study published last year by Habous et al measured the size of 778 arabian men after inducing an erection chemically. They measured bone pressed, non bone pressed and circumference. The study was done in urological outpatient clinics and they excluded men presenting a complaint of short penis. So their results may be slightly skewed towards the bigger side of the spectrum.
Their results:

NBP: 12,53cm (4.9")
BP: 14,34cm (5.6")
C: 11,50cm (4.5")

I guess when it comes to validity of a study it won't get any better than that.

Snakebyte

Superior Member
Media
Reactions: lapdog2001 and sdp

edmontonguy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thought i was average until I started a nudist lifestyle. This is when I found out that I am above average. Flaccid is 4"L and 4"G. Erect, I am 7.25"L and 5.5'G. One time at Wreck Beach, some teen girls asked me: 'How come guys don't get boners here?' To which I replied: 'It is considered impolite to walk around with a boner'. Just after, while laying on my back, I got a 'boner' just for them !

bobg4400

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Studies consistently indicate an average BPEL of ~5.5", give or take a few tenths of an inch.

It's likely that is the real BPEL average.

sykray

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
If you exclude self-measured surveys (exaggeration and rounding-up) and measurement of volunteers (because men less confident of their size may not be volunteering) then research studies report 5 to 5.5 inches for non-bone pressed erections.

If you think that stretched lengths are underestimates then some researchers have suggested that such measurements may be 95% of the full erection. A stretched average of 5 inches would then be representative of 5/95 x 100 = 5.26 inches.

My erect length is 5.3 inches (13.5 cm). Most of the men I've had sex with have had erections between 5 and 5 inches.

When one considers that gorillas have 1.5 inches (about 3 cms) erection lengths, I think that homo sapiens is doing quite well.

Reactions: Snakebyte

jasonthefrench

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If you exclude self-measured surveys (exaggeration and rounding-up) and measurement of volunteers (because men less confident of their size may not be volunteering) then research studies report 5 to 5.5 inches for non-bone pressed erections.

If you think that stretched lengths are underestimates then some researchers have suggested that such measurements may be 95% of the full erection. A stretched average of 5 inches would then be representative of 5/95 x 100 = 5.26 inches.

My erect length is 5.3 inches (13.5 cm). Most of the men I've had sex with have had erections between 5 and 5 inches.

When one considers that gorillas have 1.5 inches (about 3 cms) erection lengths, I think that homo sapiens is doing quite well.
Does it exist non vonlunteerrs studies ? How do they do it ?

jasonthefrench

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A study published last year by Habous et al measured the size of 778 arabian men after inducing an erection chemically. They measured bone pressed, non bone pressed and circumference. The study was done in urological outpatient clinics and they excluded men presenting a complaint of short penis. So their results may be slightly skewed towards the bigger side of the spectrum.
Their results:

NBP: 12,53cm (4.9")
BP: 14,34cm (5.6")
C: 11,50cm (4.5")

I guess when it comes to validity of a study it won't get any better than that.
If they exclude from the study guys feeling small this overestimate the average
From how much can we figure out this overestimation ? Half inch ? One inch? More than one inch ?

sykray

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Does it exist non vonlunteerrs studies ? How do they do it ?

First, I must edit what I wrote. I meant to say between 5 and 6 inches when saying what were the lengths of most of the erections that I have seen in my life, sexual partners or professionally in clinical practice in sexual dysfunction clinics..

Non-volunteer studies have mainly been done on conscripts into military service around the world, adolescent longitudinal growth studies in the mid 20th century, measurements of men attending urology clinics (other than men complaining their dicks are small) and other situations in which it is difficult or impossible to refuse measurements. Many of these have used stretched measures of non-erect penises, including such measures of men undergoing surgery under general anaesthesia. Other studies of men being treated for erectile dysfunction have measured erections after penile cavernosal injections (Caverject) have also been non-volunteer, not self selected, cohorts. It may be a consideration in this latter case that men with smaller penises may be more prone to erectile dysfunction because of embarrassment about size but I would suggest that smaller penises tend to be harder than larger ones so the 2 potential skews may cancel each other out.