Acupuncture experience

kcrown1967

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hi,
I'm curious if anyone here has had a negative experience after undergoing acupuncture? I have had 2 treatments a week apart. A couple days after my first treatment I experienced numbness/tingling in my arms and hands. It went away after a few days but since my second treatment last week I have had continual numbness in my fingers on my right hand as well as a very sore wrist. I know carpal tunnel has these symptoms but I have never had an issue with it before and I don't really do anything that would aggravate my wrist resulting in that.

I'm wondering if the needle placement could have caused some nerve damage?

Any feedback is appreciated :)

kcrown1967

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks Ro. She came recommended by a few friends and is in one of the most reputable practices in town. I'm not certain it is attributed to the acupuncture but it just seems odd that it occurred both times after my treatments :(

sangheili90

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think you intuitively know that you should no longer be doing this to yourself. Like any forms of alternative medicine, there is often very little scientific data to show that some of the health benefits they claim are based on reality. I'm not sure why you specifically sought out acupuncture, but I think there are other things you could enjoy that would provided some benefits without having to be stuck like a pin cushion. I used to got to a chiropractor on a semi regular basis and that is definitely for real, at least in regards to the muscular-skeletal benefits. More recently, I just started seeing a massage therapist and planning on going in twice per month, this has a positive impact on flexibility plus it is very relaxing.

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I tried it several times. Different practitioners. Following the treatment there was always this added talk that it would not work without all these special herb supplements that came at huge a cost. So never went back

kcrown1967

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I tried it several times. Different practitioners. Following the treatment there was always this added talk that it would not work without all these special herb supplements that came at huge a cost. So never went back

Yeah, I got the herb pitch as well but in my desperation to exhaust all options I am trying it for a month. If I don't notice a difference I won't continue with them. I'm trying to stay away from traditional drugs for my issues, of which there are several lol.

Reactions: ronin001 and CUBE

MisterVIP

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think you intuitively know that you should no longer be doing this to yourself. Like any forms of alternative medicine, there is often very little scientific data to show that some of the health benefits they claim are based on reality. I'm not sure why you specifically sought out acupuncture, but I think there are other things you could enjoy that would provided some benefits without having to be stuck like a pin cushion. I used to got to a chiropractor on a semi regular basis and that is definitely for real, at least in regards to the muscular-skeletal benefits. More recently, I just started seeing a massage therapist and planning on going in twice per month, this has a positive impact on flexibility plus it is very relaxing.
Back quacks have no basis in legitimate medicine either.

Reactions: Spike Baltar

sangheili90

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Back quacks have no basis in legitimate medicine either.

If you've ever had an adjustment performed when you've been a bit twisted up you'll realize that makes a tremendous difference. However, their claims to other health benefits, other than those surrounding the alignment of the pelvis and spine, is not based on science.

Reactions: HOU_HEADHUNTER

larsmi

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I've had very positive results from acupuncture the times I've had it done. Two of the three practitioners I have visited over the years were western MDs who spent time in China for rigorous acupuncture training. One was the Dean of a major medical school. He was upfront about when he felt acupuncture was ideal and when he felt western medicine was ideal. He was so respected that it was hard to get an appointment with him. No one ever tried to sell me supplements.

Any one who does try to sell supplements is suspect in my book. I have friends who visited different dieticians for different reasons and stopped going when they tried to sell "nutritional supplements."

My acupuncturists have all said that they can't explain the workings of the procedures, but they have seen great outcomes. In some states now it is covered by insurance. You'll find that the World Health Organization has interesting recommendations for what illnesses/conditions for which they find acupuncture to be effective.

I would discuss the tingling with your acupuncture practitioner for sure if you continue. Good luck and I hope you get some relief.

Reactions: deleted1190861

Hi,
I'm curious if anyone here has had a negative experience after undergoing acupuncture? I have had 2 treatments a week apart. A couple days after my first treatment I experienced numbness/tingling in my arms and hands. It went away after a few days but since my second treatment last week I have had continual numbness in my fingers on my right hand as well as a very sore wrist. I know carpal tunnel has these symptoms but I have never had an issue with it before and I don't really do anything that would aggravate my wrist resulting in that.

I'm wondering if the needle placement could have caused some nerve damage?

Any feedback is appreciated :)
Happy to PM with you about acupuncture. I don’t really want to air my medical history on a public forum. I’m here if you want to learn more about my 9 years of acupuncture therapy.

Spike Baltar

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Acupuncture is total quackery. It does not work-for anything. It is essentially a belief in Chinese astrology, because that is where 'meridians' and 'acupuncture points' are derived from. There is absolutely no benefit other than placebo. It's not even up for debate.
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/acupuncture-doesnt-work/

jax guy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Whether quackery or psychosomatic, debilitating lower back pain for me is eliminated with an accupuncture visit. Although this has never happened to me;

HOU_HEADHUNTER

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If you've ever had an adjustment performed when you've been a bit twisted up you'll realize that makes a tremendous difference. However, their claims to other health benefits, other than those surrounding the alignment of the pelvis and spine, is not based on science.
I always enjoy hearing testimony concerning chiropractic adjustments. I'm highly interested in seeing a chiropractor but have been dissuaded to do so because there are those that feel it's quackery and a scam. I'm concerned with preventative maintenance as I age and I've paid enough attention to my body to know that something is out of alignment in either my spine or my pelvis. Very slight but still enough for me to have some concern because I think it will get worse if it's not fixed. Highly appreciated.

Tbubs

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have had excellent results from a series of acupuncture for a specific issue- whether it was the placebo effect or something else, I don’t know. My acupuncturist was very interested in how I felt in the days following each session, so I would recommend letting your acupuncturist know and see what he or she advises.

BigAl9

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I was in an auto accident many years ago. My chiropractor also specialized in acupuncture. Over a period of 5 months I received 9 acupuncture treatments. They were covered by insurance. I did not miss a single day of work as a result of the accident. I eas also pain free without any pain medication. This made me a believer in acupuncture treatment. At the time I was in my mid-50s.

Reactions: XL_Lingam

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I work with acupuncturists, I’d say I’ve shared office space with four over the years, but if someone was really short time, I likely forgot them. Two were also MTs.
Aside from stepping on the needles, I’ve never had acupuncture.
But, my first class in MT school was acupressure, taught by a coupe, acupuncturists.
Part of the suggested reading was The Web with No Weaver, which looked at traditional Chinese medicine and western and found the intersectional points.
Many verified by Chinese doctors who had governmental and financial motivation to tag it at quackery.
Since then, I’ve studied Thai sen lines, Ayurvedic medicine, and fascial lines within tensility theory (western medicine), and Web with No Weaver stands up.
Traditional medicine was the observational medicine of its time, and it gets results. In many, if not most cases, meridians line up with specific fascial movement lines.
My current study is about how fascial movement affects organs and bones.

I contract with a person studying for an MD. They will build the current practice into a fully integrated practice, with western and eastern options.

Reactions: MickeyLee

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I have positive history with electro-acupuncture to treat some nerve related kerfuffles. Took a couple of months to see full results. Very happy with the results, almost complete return to previous levels of awesome.

The numbness might not be a result of damage. More a side effect of the body being set right. Like muscle aches when you first start working out.

How open is communication with your practitioner? Best course is to ask questions and keep asking until you feel comfortable with the answers you get.