Acute infectious prostatitis

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by Dave NoCal, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    Almost all men eventualy get it so, guys, if you haven't yet you almost certainly will. This is my recent experience and lesson learned.

I've had it before and know what it feels like. The symptoms are a sense of pressure in the rectum, slow emptying of the bladder, especially when waking up at night, aching (not stinging) pain when peeing, frequent peeing. In the past it's been a nuisance illness, a bit uncomfortable, comes on slowly, eventually get to the walk in clinic, get a rectal exam and a urine test, take Cipro or Levaquin for a while, get better in a few days. In the meantime I just go about my business

Not this time. I suspected it was coming on about a week before going to the clinic, which is probably an average time I procrastinate to be sure this is what is actually happening and I'm not imagining it. By the time I got to the clinic I was feverish, had aching joints and muscles, and what has previously been moderate intermittent discomfort in the prostate itself was constant pain that was intermittently severe. I also felt generally ill.

So we did the drill only this time they also gave me a shot of one gram of Rocephin, a fairly large dose of a powerful, broad spectrum antibiotic. This was a Thursday. By Friday noon I felt a bit better. That was the shot kicking in. By Sunday there had been no further improvement and perhaps even some worsening. In fact, I had been sick in bed for three days. So I went back to the clinic, got another shot of Rocephin and was told to come back on Monday and Tuesday for another shot each day. Wednesday was the first day I could really say I was feeling significantly better. All in all, far more than a nuisance and a generally miserable experience.

So the lesson I have learned is, if I think I have it I probably have it and I'm getting in to start treatment right away. I'll probably also ask for a shot traightaway to get the ball rolling as quickly as possible as I hate to think how long I would have stayed sick without them.

So guys, untreated acute prostatitis can turn into chronic prostatitis that is difficult to cure, verging on incurable. When you have the symptoms get to a doctor right away. Don't be avoidant or bashful as you want it cleared up a quickly as possible.

2. chicocklarge

chicocklarge Active Member

Albums:
    What causes this? Are you doing something to you aren't supposed to?

3. dude_007

Gold Member

Where do you get your data to claim that almost all men get an acute prostate infection?

4. pgt21

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    never got it! depends on a healthy lifestyle I assume.

5. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    The causes of prostatitis are not well understood. Sometimes it is caused by an infection in the urethera travelling back. So it can be an STD. However, that is not necessarily or even usually the case. Young men can get it but it is more common in older men. My first live-in boyfriend told me he had it at age seventeen when he was still a virgin. I have Lyme disease and had prostatitis last year, also, but not nearly so severe a case. Before that it had been about four years. My doctor considers it to be a Lyme symptom. I follow a Lyme disease discussion board and it seems that an astonishingly high percentage of male Lyme patients, young and not young, have episodes of prostatitis and low testosterone.
    As to my statement that most men eventually have it, I read that on one of the reasonably reputable medical information websites such as emedicine.com. The docs at the walk-in clinic I use say they treat it all the time, and many of their patients are university aged as the university is just several blocks away and student health doesn't treat any illnesses very aggressively.

Draft saved Draft deleted