Ad blockers

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Catchoftheday, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Catchoftheday

Gold Member

Do you have ad blockers on your browsers, I don't at the moment but was thinking about it although ads can be a bit of a pain I think that I will be able to put up with them.

2. zephyr808

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I use either Firefox or Chrome about 99% of the time and have gotten so used to Adblock Plus that it immediately irritates me when I am using someone's computer who doesn't have this. The older I get (early 40s) the more easily distracted I can become, and I find trying to pay attention to an article I am reading while some stupid banner keeps flashing and blinking immediately next to the text annoying as hell. Firefox's Adblock works better than Chrome's does, a few manage to sneak through on Chrome but it will still catch the majority of them. If you use Chrome, make sure to get the extension called Adblock Plus (Beta), not the one simply called Adblock which does nothing at all.

As for the argument that by blocking ads we are hurting all the poor businesses who just want to get their message out to consumers, etc etc, cry me a fucking river. I can't stand how many ads the average person is expected to dutifully consume and absorb, without putting up a fight. TV ad, change the channel and/or mute them. Adblock just figures out a way to do that online, and thank goodness for that.

3. tamati

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Yes I use blockers. It saves bandwidth, so I dont get fapped.

4. kenny233

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Some of the ad blockers work well, but some add browser toolbars and all add-ons that slow down browsing themselves. I mainly use a Linux based browser, so I am not up to date on which are good or not. If I had to choose one now, I would read reviews on Cnet or another mainstream tech site to help with my decision.

If you are a Windows user, you can block known spam or malware with the hosts file list. When I do use Windows, I find this to be an effective way to block malware and spam sites. It works with any version of Windows, and the file is updated by the MVPs every so often: link to website There is an explanation of how it works on the site.

5. 1kmb1

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    im about to start, another forum i use (more than lpsg) has really gone overboard with ads recently.

6. paigexox

Gold Member

Albums:
    Firefox + Adblock Plus seems to work well.

7. B_Over_Endowed_EMT

B_Over_Endowed_EMT New Member

I use Google Chrome and havent really had a problem. The occassional one gets by but not really a big deal.

8. ManofThunder

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    The only site with adverts that bother me is YouTube. Sometimes a video is shorter than the advert. However, I don't use an ad-blocker because with the limited viewing I do, it's not necessary. Also, the people I view make money from those adverts and are nice enough to deserve it. There's often a 'skip this ad' button a few seconds in, anyway - I make use of that.

9. bobg4400

Gold Member

I don't know if i have any adblockers on lol. I haven't switched any on but maybes there's built in ones because I've never seen any ads on this site except for the personal ones.
    I hardly even notice ads on other sites any more anyway. I think my brain just filters them out automatically. Plus if im on youtube I use the skip this ad button, and since I got SKY+ I always just fast forward through ad breaks on tv.

10. Zeuhl34

Gold Member

Albums:
    Firefox and Adblock Plus is what I use. It's great. Now whenever I'm on a computer without it, it really irritates me.

11. Catchoftheday

Gold Member

The point is if everybody uses ad blockers then nobody will put ads on the web and everyone will need to find alternative funding or have I missed something here?

12. Endued

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    The idea of browsing the internet without an adblocker gives me a chill.

13. Catchoftheday

Gold Member

Yes but if you didn't have an adblocker you would be able to find something to take for it :biggrin1:

14. zephyr808

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I have a question for anyone else using Chrome with the Adblock Plus extension, have you noticed that in the past couple of weeks it sucks balls? I started noticing lots of ads creeping through, did some reading up on this on various forums and so now this is what I think I know: they rolled out Adblock Plus 1.2 and for Chrome anyway, it's horrible; the short-term way around it is to go to options, then update the lists you are using, which will get rid of the ads again but that is a very short-term fix because within a few hours ads start appearing again, so you have to update again; and uninstalling and then reinstalling it doesn't help. Some people said that when Chrome 17 comes out it will (should) all be fixed, others suggested using the experimental version, which just sounded weird to me since I have never had to do anything to it in almost a year, until just the past few weeks. Anybody else having this problem?

15. Remington

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Adblock plus works well.

16. aninnymouse

Gold Member

Well, when I've gotten viruses from some of the ads that are on sites, uhhh...Yeah, I'm gonna have adblock turned on.

Also, some ads are really invasive, and offensive. When I'm trying to view a page, and can't because some ad with sound is covering half the page, yeah, I'm gonna get cranky.

So, yeah. Adblockers are good things.

Draft saved Draft deleted