Adam Sandler movies

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Has Adam Sandler EVER done a movie in which he doesn't use veiled and overtly homophobic gags throughout? Is he so insecure that it's the only kind of role he's willing to play?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Has Adam Sandler EVER done a movie in which he doesn't use veiled and overtly homophobic gags throughout? No, not to my knowledge. Is he so insecure that it's the only kind of role he's willing to play? Perhaps, or maybe he is just pandering to that lowest common denominator mentioned in another thread.

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
Do gay guys ever say to each other,"You hetero (breeder)!"? When you are 100% gay does that put a funny feeling in you?
Do you feel hateful towards hetero's when you say it or are you just fucking with someone cause it puts a crimp in their style?

Whenever I said it as a kid it was just a joke and when I was called it I took it as a joke [always among friends]. As a matter of fact calling and being called a 'homo' or whatever was a de-mystifying experience of sorts. It got said and you got over it. [I don't know if any of my childhood friends were/are gay so I don't know if I hurt any feelings.]

That said I have a hard time getting Sandler's humor to hit my funny boner.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I haven't watched any Adam Sandler movie enough times to be able to answer that questions authoritatively. In my experience, he often plays the same dimwitted obnoxious and unfunny character. Whenever he delves into playing someone approaching normal, then I find he is much more tolerable and usually much more likeable. He was only borderline normal in Happy Gilmore, but I think that was the first movie I liked him in. I enjoyed The Wedding Singer a lot. Anger Management was okay. I liked 50 First Dates, and I remember that movie being fairly wholesome, were there homophobic jokes in that? I honestly don't recall.

Movies of his I consider pretty much unwatchable drek: Happy Gilmore, Big Daddy, The Waterboy, Little Nicky. Again, I don't recall any specific jokes, but given my general impression of the level of humor in each of these pictures I am assuming there was something homophobic in there.

Big Dreamer

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
While Adam Sandler's movies being unwatchable is nothing new, I think his troubles are just starting careerwise. He's getting a little long in the tooth to keep playing his go-to role (the bumbling twentysomething who's got wacky problems, but is oh-so-lovable), but he doesn't have the gravity as an actor to do much else, so his big money days may be over.

As far as the homophobic slant, unless it was in the first 5 minutes of one of his movies, I wouldn't have seen it.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Don't misunderstand me, folks, it isn't that I'm offended. Some of the humor (maybe one joke or gag out of 30) is actually funny. And the trailers for his latest may be the entire content of the movie...

One of the scenes they show (ad nauseum) on television is his character and the other main character getting "married" in a jewish ceremony. The rabbi makes a sophomoric gesture, pointing his index fingers at one another and bumping the tips together several times (weenie plus weenie is wrong). Then they are supposed to kiss, and when the other guy leans in, Sandler slugs him. Typical 4th grade "you're a homo" kind of stuff. In a couple of scenes I've seen in some of his others (so memorable I don't even remember the names of the movies) he gets equally agitated at the suggestion that he might be gay.

Big Dreamer

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
*Wonders how DC's experience of coming out of the closet as Adam Sandler's biggest fan compares to coming out proudly as a gay man.*

"Mom and Dad? You had better sit down for this one. I liked Mr. Deeds."

*Mom passes out. Dad clutches his chest.*

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Pandering to the insecurities of 11-14 year old boys seems to be a reliably profitable basis for most of the gags in Hollywood's summer rollout. Slapstick aimed at the crotch, homo jokes, small penis jokes, vainly failing at losing virginity, being publicly embarassed or humiliated etc. etc.

Sandler's character is always the boy who never grews up. It makes him $o bankable.

I've always found him annoying more than funny.

I thought he portrayed depths of seething anger well in Punch Drunk Love. Maybe that's not acting as such.

Reactions: Stratavos

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
I consider myself fortunate to have seen a number of Adam Sandler films on cable as I can say

"Thank God I didn't go to the cinema to see that...":rolleyes:

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Has Adam Sandler EVER done a movie in which he doesn't use veiled and overtly homophobic gags throughout? Is he so insecure that it's the only kind of role he's willing to play?

I find his movies pretty funny some times. I don't take that kind of humor seriously, but do laugh, some of it touches the human side in all of us. Anger Management was hillarious at times, other times tedious to watch. You pick out Adam Sandler, but what about Jack Nicholson ? Between "Anger Management" and "As Good As It Gets", which is worse or better depending upon the viewer's perspective. I thought both had some funny moments.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Am I the only one who misses the days when movies were marketed to adults (and no, I'm not referring to "Adults Only" movies)?

No you are not. It's part of the dumbing down of America.

I am also old enough to remember when movies had an intermission. I miss intermission!

My friend and I purchased one of those mega-combo soda popcorn things when we saw Titanic (194 minutes!) and I almost died trying to hold it in so I wouldn't miss anything. :redface:

I know that three hour movies have been the norm for decades. Am I the only one that has regretted purchasing a 32 oz. soda when you realize this $10 cinematic delight is going to be over 3 hours long. I think we need to reinstate a 10-15 minute intermission for any movie over 2.5 hours.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I find his movies pretty funny some times. I don't take that kind of humor seriously, but do laugh, some of it touches the human side in all of us. Anger Management was hillarious at times, other times tedious to watch. You pick out Adam Sandler, but what about Jack Nicholson ? Between "Anger Management" and "As Good As It Gets", which is worse or better depending upon the viewer's perspective. I thought both had some funny moments.
Does Jack Nicholson make sophomoric queer jokes in all his movies? Maybe I'm missing something... and it's not like I'm offended, I'm just yawning and rolling my eyes. I would feel the same way if every Queen Latifah movie had her trotting onto the set with a big smile and a plate of chitlins and watermelon. Tired old cliches.

Rolling Stone : I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry : Review

This review is consistent with DC's original thoughts.
That's about what I expected. Funny thing is, my next door neighbor (a sweet, young straight woman) came over for a glass of wine last night, and she brought up the subject of "I now pronounce you..." without any prompting from me. She went to see it with a friend, and told me the whole movie made her uncomfortable because of all the tired old queer jokes and stupid straight guy references. It tried to have some redeeming qualities, in that the Sandler character begins to "see what it's like on the other side," but she said that it didn't make up for how awful the entire script was.

Reactions: Stratavos