Adoption - Who Is Adopted...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Scrufuss, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Scrufuss

Scrufuss New Member

Who here is adopted? Assuming it is not too nosey to ask; Are U OK with it? How old were U? Do U know your birthparents? Do you want to know your birthparents? Do U even care that you are adopted?

2. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    I adopted my cat, or more so cat napped him from the outside at work to my home. Don't tell him though he thinks he's family.

3. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

My dad was adopted at 16 by his mother's second husband. The only way that affects me is that my surname would have been different had he not been. I have never met anyone from his birth-father's line, nor am I likely to.

4. Northland

Gold Member

My nephew is adopted. I don't give it much thougt. In fact a few years ago while discussing another matter, I mentioned that my nephew was adopted and had been born in the location we were discussing. The man I was talking to was shocked. In 5 years, I had never mentioned that my nephew was adopted. I told him that it was my nephew and he was family and that was what really mattered.

5. Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann New Member

Albums:
    I was adopted almost immediately after birth. I have no desire to know my birth parents. However, I would have appreciated any hint of a family medical history, so I could know what to look out for. Oh well.

6. Domisoldo

Gold Member

Albums:
    Depending on my behavior as a child, I could be biological or adopted. So could my siblings.

Now that we're all grown-ups and good children, we are permanently biological.

7. Scrufuss

Scrufuss New Member

WOW - very cool
    I was adopted the day I was born.
    I have no clue about my birthparents and I was just wondering who else out there was adopted and how they felt about it. I was told about my adoption as soon as I could understand what it was I guess..

8. Scrufuss

Scrufuss New Member

A week ago I recieved a letter in the snail mail. Within it was a picture of a young lady, and another of the same lady, not so young, with younger folks around her.
    After 43 years my birth brothers and sisters (4 half sibblings, 2 each. ) looked me up after they discovered a copy of my birth certificate in OUR moms papers.
    They confronted her and it seems she's been keeping tabs on me for ahwile.
    Damn it I was going to sneak up on her. Seems I take after her after all.
    I always wanted to make this happen and always imagined it happening.
    Now that it is I am gobsmacked upside my head. My folks and sister seem to be more curious then I am!
    This is going to be interesting.

:wow::bigeyes::eek:mfg::scratchchin::nutkick::hmmm: :popcorn: :dance:
    :laola:​

9. D_Jurgen Klitgaard

D_Jurgen Klitgaard Account Disabled

I was adopted by my dad in the 5th grade. I don't know my biological dad, don't really care. I've never considered him my step dad and he's never considered me his step son.

10. Scrufuss

Scrufuss New Member

I was adopted the day I was born.
    In mind and soul Mom is mom and Dad is dad and my Sister is my sister, such as they are.
    I guess he would technically be a step since your mother is your birth mom? No matter its what you feel inside your mind and heart that makes it.
    I am curious about my BIRTH folks because, well, I don't take after my parents much if at all. I wonder if I have similar characteristics in personality to my birth parents.

11. Principessa

Gold Member

Whaddaya mean keeping tabs on you? :confused: That almost sounds like stalking. :tongue: j/k When are you meeting them? They seem eager, and would most likely be nice to you as they contacted you first. Hmm, interesting timing though...it is December maybe they found out how wealthy you are and want to hit you up for a loan or extravagant gifts for Christmas. :tongue:

12. Scrufuss

Scrufuss New Member

Tabs as in she already hired a PI to track me down 18 months ago.
    Its a common strategy when you prepare to be the proverbial past that comes to haunt you.
    Yes timing is interesting. They are valid, not imposters. There were details that my step brother told me that only mom, dad my birth mother and I knew regarding my birth. Things not documented.
    WEALTH? HA they offered to buy my plane ticket if I wanted to fly to there local in California.
    I am overwhelmed. Literally gobsmacked silly. This came out of nowhere. I wanted it to happen I just didn't expect siblings that I never knew existed for sure to send me a letter, and some photos with verified information.
    When talking to him on the phone I kept realizing how he sounds a bit like me when he laughs. I am going to talk to my birth mom tomorrow. I am to embarrassed to state her name except that it’s the female version of my first name. My parents named me. They didn’t know my birth mother at all, never saw her.

13. Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann New Member

Albums:
    It is interesting that this thread got bumped. About two months ago, I had one too many bourbons one evening and decided, out of curiosity, to see if I could find any information about my birth parents. I discovered their names within five minutes, and that changed my world. I made contact with them, and it is a very emotionally taxing process. I have no idea how people did this before email. My birth mother has visited me twice, and my wife and I are going out to see her after Christmas. She and I are now best friends, and she knows me better than anyone else in the world.

14. Scrufuss

Scrufuss New Member

Oh fuk.
    what state were you born in, and what web site did you check on?

15. YourAvgGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    My wife and I are in the process of adopting a little guy. He will be 3 yrs old in February. We know that we will tell him when he is old enough to understand that he is adopted. I do not think it would be fair to him to keep that information from him. If his dad wants to keep in contact (distant), then we will be fine with that as well (cards, pictures, etc). When he is older, we will share those things with him. Meanwhile, I am certain we will send him pictures and updates on the baby, should he want to be that involved.

This is a very taxing process for everyone involved and a lot more in-depth than my wife and I ever imagined....

16. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    OMG!!!!! This is INCREDIBLE news... you don't know how lucky you are man. Most brothers and sisters don't go out and do what they did and you should be proud that they cared enough to contact you.

My mother was adopted, my girlfriend was adopted and neither of them have had anyone give two shits enough about them to come forward with any information. My Mom's adoption was before they had laws regarding adopted children's information rights to records and my girlfriend had her adoption within the Catholic Diocese which gives the adopted children no rights as to their birth parents.

You should definitely CELEBRATE!!!!

17. Scrufuss

Scrufuss New Member

3 years old, very cool. Past the nasty diaper stage for sure! :)

My folks told me about adoption then when it came up told me that I was adopted. However my mother would use it against me when I pissed her off for whatever reason by saying "No body else wanted you, you better straighten up and fly right".
    When I was a little kid, friends of my parents would say “oh look he is so cute he looks just like you” referring to either mom or dad. I would perk up immediately with “I’m adopted”. Funny how adults would look so broadsided.

If I had the option of a birth parent being around somewhere I am not sure how I would have reacted.

YES, It is a VERY taxing process. It’s a drain mentally and physically but it feels good! I just went from a set of parents and an older sister, to having my birth mother and an additional 3 half brothers and 1 half sister, on my mothers side. And a whole slew of various nieces and nephews. I went from the youngest to being the oldest in a whole different clan.
    I kept staring at my mother and one of my brothers because the facial similarities between us is outright creepy. There are people out there who look like me. All 3 brothers have the same widows peek in the hair like me. AND the best part, my half sister is a bona fide tom boy and “certified” lesbian!
    My birth mother was imaginative. All there names start with a Q or K or Z or U.
    I am still assimilating all this. A vast dark vacuum expanse of "me" has been filled in with bright lights!

18. Scrufuss

Scrufuss New Member

I know I am very very lucky. Some adoptees don't even know where they were born! Californias seals the adoption records.
    I am waiting for the bomb to drop like asking me if I woudl donate a kidney or something.
    Celebration.. Let it sink in first. I am still dazed!

19. D_Avi_D_Zane

D_Avi_D_Zane Account Disabled

I was adopted when i was 2,parents have never kept it a secret.Have wonderful parents and and a good family couldn't ask for better!
    I have found my mom as an adult and have brothers and sisters as well,they treat me as if i have been there all a long.My biological family seem to be great in there own way and wish i could spend more time with them.
    Long story unless i stop now!!!

20. Scrufuss

Scrufuss New Member

I invite storys here, or links to them in blogs. Why not?

Draft saved Draft deleted