Adventures in Baby-Naming

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
So, we abandoned Janus, and she shot down Janos for it having too strong of a religious connotation. Since then, we've started listing names we like. I've come up with 20, she with 5, which is strange, because she has more patience for sitting and doing the same thing for hours on end than I do.

Anyway, I've got my 20, and I can't narrow it down at all. All I know is that I want one Scandinavian name and one German name. I'd like for the middle name to be Engel, but only if the first name works with it. Not so much in terms of verbal flow (though that is important) but in terms of definition. For example: Lamont Engel sounds good, but the definitions are Lawyer Angel. Who ever heard of a saintly lawyer?

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Janus, the double faced Roman God of doorways
Good you didn't choose that one, cool name.. but it would become Jane by the playground bullies.

Don't forget to consider the initials, wouldn't want the initials G.A.S. or something like that :smile:

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
Actually, we decided against it because I found out (on here, actually) that it's used as an insult in some parts of Europe. Even though the whole two-face thing was meant as a symbol of possibilities, as he's the God of Beginnings (or doorways, by some translations) , now it's used to call somebody a hypocrite, or in American terms, liken them to John Kerry. Don't care too much about puns, because those are nigh inevitable. But when the name itself is an insult... well it's like naming your son Dick.

I KNEW there was a reason I didn't like the sound of Ansel Soren (my last initial is S).

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I really like the name Lachlann for a boy, and it seems to work well with Engel.

Lachlann Engel...

sounds very nice. "Locky" is also a nice nickname.

:smile:

my $.02

8.5x6

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As long as you don't name your child something completely stupid or something that is in fact, a noun like "table" or "rock" you'll be ok. :cool:

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yikes! Lamont sounds trailer-park-ish.

Some names of some cool Scandinavian dudes I've known are:

Erik (with a "K" not a "c")
Ulf
Jorgen (pronounced Yorgen)
Jens (pronounced Yens)
Peter (he was Danish)
Thok (pronounced Tok) (Tak is Swedish for "Thank you")

Edit: Tak is Danish. Tack is Swedish.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Erik = Eternal ruler
Ulf = Protector
Jorgen (pronounced Yorgen) = wasn't in the name dictionary I checked (but the name is fairly common in Sweden)
Jens (pronounced Yens) = God is gracious
Peter (he was Danish) = stone
Thok (pronounced Tok) = wasn't in the name dictionary I checked

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Are either of you of Scandinaian or German ancestry? If not why a fondness for names of that ancestry. I have a friend who is of English, Italian; and Jewish ancestry and her hubby is of Polish and Czech extraction. Yet both of their kids have Irish sounding names: Shannon Elizabeth and Shaunn Michael. Go figure. :confused:

As an educator and someone who has worked in corporate America the less ethnic sounding a name is the better off and more successful your child is likely to be. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Barack Obama is a very ethnic sounding name. But who among us thought he'd come this far 2 years ago? :confused: To say he is an anomally is putting it mildly at best. I don't care what anybody says Condoleeza Rice sounds like a nasty STD. "Did you hear about Janice? I heard she was at the free clinic being treated for Condoleeza Rice!" :biggrin1:

By the way, Lamont was the name of the son on Sanford and Son. My first thought was, why are you naming your son after a black junk man on a sit-com. I'm just saying... :rolleyes:

Do your kid a favor, make one name more mainstream American sounding, so that he can go by that and not be teased and picked on endlessly. For instance, I have a friend who is of Irish ancesry but her hubby is Turkish. Their childrens names are: Emre James and Perlanta Rose. If at any point their names become an encumbrance they can use their middle name and first initial.

The last letter of the middle name and the first letter of the last name should NOT be the same letter, otherwise it doesn't flow properly when spoken.

Think about the SAT, ACT, and GRE. Your childs full name needs to fit in those little boxes, otherwise the scantron can score it incorrectly and it may appear he has failed. Yes, I know it's stupid but it's happend on more than one occassion. The only thing more stressful than taking the SAT's in high school is taking them again because your parents had to give you a unique name.

TwasBrillig

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
And now for something completed, utterly and sublimely ridiculous. Here in western P.A. news was made when a couple named the newborn Seven. Yup, 7.

Seven is the jersey number of Ben Roethlisberger, Pgh. Steeler's QB. How seriously would someone named Seven be taken in a professional setting?

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
well at least the kid could call himself "Sev" or something :smile:

The worst name i have ever heard a kid given was what actor JAson Lee (My Name Is Earl and other things) who is a scientologist, called his son.

The kid's name is

Pilot Inspektor Riesgraf-Lee

I am not kidding

Last edited:

TwasBrillig

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I believe you Flashy, I believe you. But - oh Hell, no sense hurting my brain this late at night trying to understand what possesses people to.....

Unless, of course, a few more scotches may aid in understanding... Nah, that won't work either.

mista geechee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Frank Zappa's kids (real talk) :

Moon Unit Zappa
Dweezil
Ahmet Emuuka Rodan
Diva Thin Muffin Pigeen

If I have a son his first name will be Wes and his mother will choose his middle name ( we'll choose one each if we give him two middle names ) and if I have a daughter, her mother will nama her.

Stapled, you should name your son Malik Rahim Abdul Shebazz...jk

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
So, we abandoned Janus, and she shot down Janos for it having too strong of a religious connotation. Since then, we've started listing names we like. I've come up with 20, she with 5, which is strange, because she has more patience for sitting and doing the same thing for hours on end than I do.

Anyway, I've got my 20, and I can't narrow it down at all. All I know is that I want one Scandinavian name and one German name. I'd like for the middle name to be Engel, but only if the first name works with it. Not so much in terms of verbal flow (though that is important) but in terms of definition. For example: Lamont Engel sounds good, but the definitions are Lawyer Angel. Who ever heard of a saintly lawyer?

Where do you get 'lawyer' for 'La Mont'? It means 'the mountain' in any romance language.

Not Punny, 'Jorgen' is probably a diminutive of 'Jorge', 'George' in English. From Greek and Latin 'Farmer', as in earth person, geo.

How about 'Thorwald', forest of Thor, or Winslow, hill of Woden? (Vodens hlaw)

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Nothing wrong with a distinctive name...

I know a kid named Rain... another named Zorba... they are great kids... very at ease with themselves...

The worst kind of name would be something like the guy we had in 7th grade hoomroom.

Mike Hunt.

There is just no polite way to read that out loud... and nothing about the words printed warns you NOT to read them out loud...