Adventures in Baby-Naming

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | NZ judge orders 'odd' name change

How about "Number 16 Bus Shelter" or "Midnight Chardonnay" or (if it's a girl) "Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii".

You could always name the kid TroutFishingInAmerica, which is what some then 19?yo changed their name to quite few years ago.

If it's a girl don't name her Ladynasty. :eek: Did you read that as LaDynasty or LadyNasty.

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
Yikes! Lamont sounds trailer-park-ish.

Some names of some cool Scandinavian dudes I've known are:

Erik (with a "K" not a "c")
Ulf
Jorgen (pronounced Yorgen)
Jens (pronounced Yens)
Peter (he was Danish)
Thok (pronounced Tok) (Tak is Swedish for "Thank you")

Edit: Tak is Danish. Tack is Swedish.

My fiancee said it sounded snobbish.

I'm of Norse descent (1/4), so I know the Js are pronounced like Ys. I kinda want to give him a J-name just for the ethnic-sound to the name.
And yeh... I am a pretty cool Scandinavian dude. But I'm not up for naming my son after me.

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
From the definition given on babynameworld.com.
Also, it's listed as a Norwegian name (though yes, it does sound French), which is a Germanic language, not Romantic.

I was going to chime in on that one too. Just because something looks French doesn't mean it is.

One old Norse name we don't see too often these days is Torquil, or there's always Sorley (Anglicisation of Somhairle which comes from Somerled). There are heaps more, but I'm meant to be working just now.

Whatever you go for, bear in mind that your kid may not thank you for it. Two I've heard of which are allegedly true were Annette Kurten and Erin Charles Rescue who was always referred to as Erin C. Times like this I'm glad my parents decided to name me after my grandad.