Advice needed: Experiences with Ambien or sleeping pills

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by HyperHulk, May 5, 2008.

1. HyperHulk

HyperHulk New Member

Albums:
    The biggest physical problem I face is getting 7-8 hours of sleep a night. I seem to average about 5-6 hours. Everything I've read suggests that this is not healthy to sleep so little. I'm not a person who uses drugs and I've resisted the idea of sleeping pills, especially after what happened to Heath Ledger. I was reading a sports story and a coach for a team mentioned before a big game that he took Ambien and slept 10 hours and felt great.

So now I'm debating if I should look into this and try it. I'm a bit worried and would love to hear if anyone has any thoughts or experience with this drug or anything similar. Will it make me drowsy during the day? Do you get hooked on them or after using them for a couple weeks can you sleep normal without them? Are there any bad side effects? I think 10 hours of sleep is too much, I'd be happy with 8--can you control how long you sleep?

I know I can ask the doctor if I go for this but I wanted to get some real input before I even make that step. Nothing else I've tried seems to work.

2. SyddyKitty

Gold Member

Albums:
    I can't reccomend Ambien to anybody. My mother used to be one of those Ambien zombies, going around the house half-there. She'd make food at night, burn it, make huge messes, pass out in the food she's made... it's horrible for anyone living with you. Probably especially dangerous living alone.

3. BBTM

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I also would not recommend it...I lived with a roommate who took it and it made her sleepwalk. She ended up drinking all of our alcohol and got into a fight with her boyfriend on the phone that she doesn't remember.

5-6 hours of sleep is plenty for anybody over 18. If you just wake up after 5 or 6 hours, then your body is telling you that you had enough sleep.

4. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    ambien is ok.....I don't get all zombie like or anything like that.....my issue with it is that I can take it for a couple of days and it knocks me out....but after that it has little effect on me......go to a health food/vitamin shop place and get yourself some melatonin....should help ya

5. D_Mainssworthe Maleorgan

D_Mainssworthe Maleorgan Account Disabled

Try drinking chamomile tea before bed.

I'd avoid any medication at all costs.:cool:

6. sargon20

Gold Member

7. HyperHulk

HyperHulk New Member

Albums:
    Umm, thanks guys. Just these couple of posts are more than enough to scare me away and figure out something else. I knew I was avoiding sleeping pills for a reason. Really appreciate all of your feedback!

8. BiItalianBro

Gold Member

I am with you on that drug avoidance thing as i have a chemical imbalance already (ADHD) so I dont mess with that stuff because I never know the outcome. I live in the USA but travel allot to Latin America and Europe and have used "Sleepy Time Tea". It contains a light amount of valerian to calm you down but not enough to knock you out. I have tried the supplement Melatonin, but it is not legal in many countries and makes me hyper (again, the ADHD).

Do you work out? I have noticed that if I time my lifting or running about 5 hours before bed then I am fine...and later than that and I run itno trouble. Also consider diet adjustments. A light evening snack of lean turkey or chicken...both have high amounts of terytriophan(sp) may help.

9. B_dumbcow

B_dumbcow New Member

Albums:
    I would try hermal remodies before jumping into any of this medication :smile:

10. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

if you are tired and not sleeping more than 5 or 6 hours... see a sleep therapist. You may be suffering from sleep apnea or other conditions that constantly interrupt deep sleep.

Apnea can actually be life threatening.

So get it looked into.

11. B_boynextdoorkpt

B_boynextdoorkpt New Member

I take Melatonin, a natural substance that your body makes anyway. I take 3mg. and sleep about 8 hours a night. It feels very natural, not like Ambian or Lunesta, both of which I have tried. I do not wake up droggy or feeling drugged, but fully rested and ready to start the day. You can buy a 60 pill bottle in your local pharmacy for about $6.99.

12. hotbtminla

Gold Member

Albums:
    All sleeping aids run the risk of at least psychological dependency, so whatever you try keep that in mind.

I have an Ambien prescription and have never had any of the weird side effects, though a friend of mine has done the sleepwalking/grazing thing once or twice. It appears to effect different people differently. When I take an Ambien I wake up feeling less dopey than I do when I take Tylenol PM, which is another option.

I tried a homeopathic remedy for a while, and while it certainly helped me sleep it also appeared to make me ridiculously horny and disabled what few filters my brain uses when in that state. :tongue: No lie. I can't explain it, but it was noticeable.

Of course there's always kind weed if you can get it. :biggrin1:

13. HyperHulk

HyperHulk New Member

Albums:
    Thanks again for the suggestions everyone. I think I will look into Melatonin, that sounds about what I'm looking for.

I workout in the morning and hate working out at night, so I can't use that as an option. I don't smoke pot, so that's not an option. I think my problem is a bit stress related, because when I'm stressed my mind races and I have dreams that wake me up and then I can't get back to sleep. So I'll ask around about Melatonin and see what the pharmacists say.

Hotbtminla, umm, what was that homeopathic remedy that made you horny and sleepy? It sounds great...lol

14. dtownguy

dtownguy New Member

Albums:
    I can't take sleeping pills because they give me really fucked up dreams and make me feel like i'm still awake even when i'm asleep. Instead, i take benedryl every night when i'm reasy for sleep. it knocks me right out and no wierdness. My Dr. knows i do this and has voiced no concerns over how often i take it or why.

15. hotbtminla

Gold Member

Albums:
    I should clarify it made me horny when I was awake. :tongue: The name is on the tip of my tongue but I'm drawing a blank at the moment... pretty sure it was something akin to melatonin.

16. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Where did you read that only sleeping 5-6 hours a night is unhealthy? do you feel unhealthy? Are you tired after only 5-6 hours.

Personally I would kill for a good 6 hours everynight, I settle for 5 most nights and don't do too badly on it - if I get 4 or less I start feeling the effects.

I'd agree with most of the posters here - the natural / herbal remedies are the thing to go for.

17. B_becominghorse

B_becominghorse New Member

Yes, Ambien is good, I used it back in 2003 for awhile. People are so afraid of addiction to these things they'd rather not sleep. Then people tell you 5-6 hours a day is enough for anyone over 18--incroyable...they know about all personages of course...agree Ambien can be addictive, but all those things are all right if used temporarily.

I use Melatonin regularly, it's very good, induces pleasant thoughts (including making me horny, too, and offering good jack-off potential which I sometimes give in to, and this further offers good sleeping after you've jacked off thinking about all of your favourite sex images...), but I might use Ambien sometime if I had any, or wasn't too lazy to go get any. I didn't know it wasn't legal in some states (I mean the Melatonin, I just buy it at Vitamin Quota). The U.S. is notoriously Puritanical about all sorts of useful drugs, although it seems perfectly happy about prescribing ADP's everywhere.

And waking up is NOT necessarily telling you that you don't need any more sleep, for chrissake. That is even cited as a sign of depression sometimes; when I'm under stress I tend to wake up, but usually can just turn over and go back to sleep.

Sleep therapist good idea if you're afraid of the Ambien. I can't say I realkly liked it that much, because it seemed to turn you off like a push-button thing rather than slowly bringing on drowziness.

18. B_becominghorse

Sleeping 5-6 hours a night is NOT unhealthy for some people, it simply is not enough for many other. I usually am fine with 6, but like 7 or 8 at least once a week. This is so rudimentary I can't even believe some of the things I've read about people talking as if they know what is the right amount of sleep for literally anyone.

19. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Calm down, mate - no one is attacking anyone here - just most folks are a little wary of the stronger stuff. Also what is "they know about all personages of course..." meant to mean - just curious. Strikes me as being a slightly 'tinfoil beanie' comment, if you know what I'm saying...

20. B_becominghorse

Lay off. The matter of talking about sleep necessity is important. There were stupid things said here, and they needed to be pointed out as such. It's none of your business whether I calm down or whether I use figures of speech that don't appeal to you. But don't expect me to use a pleasant tone with you if you pull 'tinfoil beanie' smart-ass shit. I'll just put you on Ignore, I think. Yes, that works fine, I'm tired of the smug, condescending tones that apply only to other person, not the one disliking little details in their passive-aggressive way, with the 'just curious' crap.

Draft saved Draft deleted