Advice on engagement ring!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by roy86, Dec 30, 2010.

1. roy86

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    And the time has finally come for me, I've gone searching, and found a ring for my girlfriend.

I've just been going crazy in my head over the mount and stone that I've selected and was wondering if there are any shape and look experts out there!

I've attached the mounting, which I think she will adore, and a princess cut diamond. I was just wondering if the two shapes will clash? I've photo shopped the stone into the mount, but can't really get a good look of it since the underlying stone distorts it a little.

I just want other opinions so I can see what to look for. I do love what I picked, and think she will too, but I just want reccomendations on shapes of diamonds for the mounting I've picked.

Attached Files:

2. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Simply beautiful. You made the right choice. Congrats on the engagement.

3. B_stu.kay823

B_stu.kay823 New Member

Holy crap! They're a big pair of stones!

The ring I bought (and later had returned, we were 19) was simpler even than those. More like the one on the right. Just a 0.3ct white gold #. Very simple but elegant. Suited her thin fingers nicely. Not sure what I will do 'second time 'round'

4. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    I LOVE the ring on the left, but I do not like the two of them together.

The ring on the right is very like the diamond ring my ex (father of my kids) gave me, which I never wore because it scratched things and snagged my sweaters.

5. roy86

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

what type of stone would you recommend for the center?

6. JacobFox

JacobFox Member

Albums:
    I am not an expert nor even a novice that can offer advice. But I just want to say reading this thread made me smile (and I have been having a bad day). I hope you two are VERY happy :)

7. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    the stone is quite lovely -- it's the setting that is worrisome. Things with "prongs" can more easily catch on sweaters and stockings.

8. roy86

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

ah, i got you! you do like it, its just the catching on things that's bothersome. hmmm, i guess she'll just have to take care of it, i mean...it IS the only one she's getting.:biggrin1:

9. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hmmmmm.... talk to your jeweler.

Sadly, my ring ended up in the garbage by mistake -- I used to take it off so that I wouldn't scratch the baby, and it ended up (by accident) in the vacuum cleaner because I left it by the baby's crib, and the cleaning lady cleaned it up... and the garbage truck took it away before I knew it was gone.

All I'm trying to say is think about the setting. Pronged settings of the nature of the ring on the right can be problematic.

I'm just trying to help.

10. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

I'm a Goldsmith/Jeweller and a Gem-setter. My advice is pick an emerald cut, they look bigger and they look classier, but Princess is also very very nice and have it Bezel or Half Bezel set (especially if your going for platinum or white gold, though imo you should go for platinum not white gold), both are very simple and very modern, and they give a ring a sense of proportion which prong settings sometimes don't. You could even have the Bezel pierced or filigreed. If you want to have it set with other stones then have them Pavé set.

Tiffany's are rather fond of Bezel set stones, if you're looking for that seal of taste. But don't be too worried about the setting, if your Fiancee doesn't like it you can always have it reset, the beauty of precious stones and such is how marvelously adaptable they are, essentially you are buying a stone not a ring, the setting is a hostage to fashion and even if both of you think the setting you pick now is the most tasteful thing you could pick in 10, 20, 30, 40 years time your then wife (I presume) may have very different feelings about it and may want to have it reset to suit current tastes. So don't be too sentimental about setting. :wink:

#10 D_Tim McGnaw, Dec 30, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  11. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I'm a little confused. Is the ring on the left the intended wedding band and the ring on the right the engagement ring? I would suggest that the bands and mountings were more compatible. (not matching unless that's what you want but something that works better together)
    Like others have said I don't care for prong settings, I have a tension set diamond that is square, but I don't really think that's the look you are going for based on the photo.
    BTW Congratulations!

12. roy86

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

the stone on the right is going into where the round stone is. i'm having it switched over- im merging the rings.

13. roy86

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

So you think an emerald cut diamond could look better within the mounting??

14. nudeyorker

Gold Member

In that case I think it's absolutely beautiful. I would see if you can recess the center stone a bit so that it does not catch things as previously stated.

15. luka82

Gold Member

Beautiful!
    I really wanna get married, NOW!:)

16. roy86

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

thanks! I was thinking that too, because the stone I bought in the right was larger than the round on the left. I want it to sit a little higher, but I dont want it completely up and out.

17. nudeyorker

Gold Member

That is very easy to do for a competent jeweler. One thing that was not discussed is that unless the metal is platinum I don't like prong settings because they generally are not secure enough for the stone over a long haul; so a bezel setting might be better or just have the jeweler do the prongs in platinum.

18. D_Tim McGnaw

Ah I wasn't clear what you meant. Is the ring on the left an antique ring or something? A family piece?

It looks like your trying to put a square princess cut diamond into an setting for a round or octagonal stone right? Are you going to have the square stone re-cut to fit the octagonal setting? Or are the prongs meant to compensate for the differences in shape? I don't think a square stone should be fitted in an apeture for a round or octagonal stone. And if you are going to have the stone re-cut then there's no reason your jeweller cant fit the new shaped stone in a bezel without prongs.

#18 D_Tim McGnaw, Dec 30, 2010
  19. roy86

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

See, I was going to have the stone placed into it. But, there was a square shaped piece that could replace the octagonal section. I was sure, I like how the piece is right now, but I know she likes princess cut diamonds because I got her one in a necklace. I kept thinking about it, and maybe will go back up to the jeweler and ask to see the square section again.

20. D_Tim McGnaw

Oh OK so there's an option to have a square apeture built in instead of the octagonal one? Or do you mean a four sided frame of smaller stones to fit a square stone instead of an eight sided frame? Basically I mean is it just the apeture for the major stone or the entire shape of the frame you have the option to change?

If you go for a square stone like that in an eight sided frame (with the major stone set in a four sided bezel rather than in prongs) it it will look very Asiatic, I've seen square stones set where you would expect to see a round or octagonal one before many times in the jewellery of the middle east or India, it's quite striking and unusual, and will definitely make the ring stand out from the standard.

NB. You can have the bezel sit proud of the frame around it if you still want the major stone to stand out from the others...

#20 D_Tim McGnaw, Dec 30, 2010
Draft saved Draft deleted