Advice: Wishing Crush a Happy Birthday

hannahmontana89

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hi everyone. I'm in need of some advice for the following situation, please let me know what your thoughts are! I'm really unsure of what to do!

So I met a very cute, sweet guy my senior year of college. We occasionally would sit with each other in the dining halls (never planned, always when we happened to be there at the same time) and I've always thought he was cute and getting to know him a little only made me like him more.

I'm in the closet and not super outgoing/confident to say anything to him. I'm not sure of his sexuality and I know he is fairly religious (obviously you can be gay/bi/not straight and religious, but its often not the case). We never discussed relationships or anything of the sort. However, he has possibly been flirty (he complimented by sweater). I am a hopeless romantic and don't know if I am looking at this situation through rose-colored glasses. We exchanged phone numbers but rarely communicated outside of our run-ins. I would consider us friendly acquaintance more than friends.

I graduated a few months ago and we haven't talked since. I'm 99% sure his birthday is coming up (I have a terrible memory but I'm solidly confident on the date/week) and I still think about him quite often (I repeat, hopeless romantic).

Would it be crazy and inappropriate to wish him a happy birthday? I would greatly appreciate some unbiased advice. Thank you!

Reactions: hisiff maji

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Hi everyone. I'm in need of some advice for the following situation, please let me know what your thoughts are! I'm really unsure of what to do!

So I met a very cute, sweet guy my senior year of college. We occasionally would sit with each other in the dining halls (never planned, always when we happened to be there at the same time) and I've always thought he was cute and getting to know him a little only made me like him more.

I'm in the closet and not super outgoing/confident to say anything to him. I'm not sure of his sexuality and I know he is fairly religious (obviously you can be gay/bi/not straight and religious, but its often not the case). We never discussed relationships or anything of the sort. However, he has possibly been flirty (he complimented by sweater). I am a hopeless romantic and don't know if I am looking at this situation through rose-colored glasses. We exchanged phone numbers but rarely communicated outside of our run-ins. I would consider us friendly acquaintance more than friends.

I graduated a few months ago and we haven't talked since. I'm 99% sure his birthday is coming up (I have a terrible memory but I'm solidly confident on the date/week) and I still think about him quite often (I repeat, hopeless romantic).

Would it be crazy and inappropriate to wish him a happy birthday? I would greatly appreciate some unbiased advice. Thank you!

I don't think it would be crazy or inappropriate as long as you keep it simple and friendly. I assume he told you his birthday at some point when you guys were hanging out? If you found out through other means, it would be inappropriate.

Something like "Hey X, I really enjoyed our conversations in the dining hall, and I seem to recall that your birthday is around this time, so I just wanted to wish you a happy a birthday and I hope that you are doing well!"

I think it is important that you think of this as just keeping a friendship alive, and not some kind of romantic push. Also a sweater compliment seems pretty thin to me as far as flirting goes, so I wouldn't read into that. You should want to be his friend first and foremost.

Reactions: riccardomillington8