Aetna Insurance financial analysis

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Wyldgusechaz, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Wyldgusechaz

Wyldgusechaz New Member

2. sargon20

Gold Member

Clearly they should exit the industry and let government run it. Or someone with higher IQ's.

3. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    But the insurance companies just so desperately want to help out the people struggling with health problems, profits be damned.

4. sargon20

Gold Member

Absolutely right profits are secondary to providing adequate care. Those death panels oopps I meant 'managed care' organizations are there for you and for me and not the shareholders.

5. midlifebear

Gold Member

Amusing web site and especially amusing article. Notice there is no attribution as to who wrote it? Secondly, and most importantly, by doing a bit of digging it's an obvious piece of manipulating statistics to support an answer. This is what in my graduate school statistics class was called "Making it up with smoke and mirrors." Given a bit of looking through my notes from that class back in 1980 I can produce a formula that proves 2 + 2 does not equal 4.

But then, consider the OP. His loopy reputation precedes him. Honk, honk, honk.

6. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

You nincompoop.

Yeah, the insurance industry makes no money at all... THAT'S why they can afford to spend 1.4 million bucks PER DAY to fight healthcare reform.... cause the way things are they aren't making a penny!

What kind of low grade rube ARE you?

Insurance companies have the most arcane method of book-keeping imaginable...
    For example... When an Insurance company writes a new policy... that shows up on their book as a LOW- even though it is REALLY income, and may never actually cost them a dime in pay out... they write off the entire Potential payout value of the policy up front.

As long as they keep writing policies, they might NEVER show a profit on paper.

Try using your brain for a change... Medicare spends 4% of every dollar on administration of Medicare.
    Private insurers spend 30% of every dollar.

Now, a LOT of that 30% never makes it to the bottom line... because its going into multimillion dollar salaries, bonuses and severance packages...

But follow the money, Wyld. They are spending 1.4 million a day to try and keep things JUST THE WAY THEY ARE...

That is because some bean counters told them that would be a GREAT investment.

you are such a tool.

7. B_Enough_for_Me

B_Enough_for_Me New Member

You think you just get to write what ever you want and we all have to believe you. Everything you said sounds made up. You provided nothing but a bunch of words.

8. B_Enough_for_Me

B_Enough_for_Me New Member

Wasn't the article written by the author?

Not only that, he cites his source. All you did was post some rhetorical non-sense.

9. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    Without even reading the article I just have to say, Oh, shut the fuck up, Wyld.

10. D_Tully Tunnelrat

D_Tully Tunnelrat New Member

The article demonstrates nothing other than Aetna was not profitable that quarter. Hardly a stunningly revealing statistical analysis of the company, or the general insurance industry. Any company can lose money for a quarter. A far better analysis would have been what's Aetna's profit been for the year, or the past several. That would provide a better indication of how well the company was run, but it would still say little regarding the efficiency of our health care/insurance company model, other than if Aetna's profit margin is inline with industry norms, which as PA points out, are appallingly high when compared with Medicare.

11. lucky8

Gold Member

The income statement is from June 2009...every company in this country has a shitty income statement for 2009...

major fail

Draft saved Draft deleted