AFFIRMATIVE ACTION IS an Insult !!!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_ccc888, Jul 25, 2009.

1. B_ccc888

B_ccc888 New Member

I don't understand any minorities who whine about past racism and discrimination now want

reverse discrimination

while preaching about "equal rights"

Dr. MLK didn't ask for special rights for the minorities, but

EQUAL RIGHTS !

Equal means equal.

You can't pass the fire department promotional test then study harder next time.

No whining, no finger pointing and no lawsuits

Period.

2. SR_Blarney_Frank

SR_Blarney_Frank New Member

There are plenty of threads out there on the Hartford case.

Keep in mind that just 45 years ago it was still legal for an employer to post an ad saying, "Help Wanted, White Males only apply" or for a restaurant to prohibit black patrons. I have yet to read anywhere that there were black store owners posting signs saying "Blacks Only" nor does that happen today. So - where is this "reverse discrimination" going on?

3. D_Dick_Dock_Doe

D_Dick_Dock_Doe Account Disabled

You cannot ignore 200 hundred years of discrimination and unfair treatment and suddenly say "OK, it's an equal playing field, now" when it is obviously not. Nobody is whining for "special rights." Affirmative action exists in this country because there would be NO EQUAL RIGHTS without it. Sad, but true.

4. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

You obviously don't know what Affirmative Action is, how it works, or how it benefits our nation. Learn the procedure and then come back to argue. Consider this your one and only warning before I set phasers on stun. :rolleyes:

5. Principessa

Gold Member

You speak the truth! Let the people say Amen, Amen, Amen!

Preach it brother! :cool:

The OP probably got beat up by a black kid in 5th grade and never got over it.

6. B_ccc888

B_ccc888 New Member

Benefits our nation ?

Ridiculous and flawed..............

Affirmative Action actually insult the minorities.

I have brain smart enough to pass the SAT to go to great colleges.

I don't want to get hired because I am a minority.

African Americans should reject AA, it's an insult to their hard work and intellegent.

BTW, anyone here is willing to be treated by a surgeon who only passed his below standard board test just because of his race ?

Not me, thank you !

7. B_ccc888

B_ccc888 New Member

Dude open your dictionary

WHAT IS AN EQUAL RIGHT ?

Equal equal to what ?

Being a black and perform poorly on SAT test and can't get into a IVY LEAGUE college, it means ones should learn more

Never use our skin color to justify SPECIAL TREATMENT

Barack Obama is black, and he got the votes from the majority of us.

He is NOT a product of racist AA.

He earned his way to the WHITE HOUSE.

He is the proof any Americans can get what they dream for as long as they're willing to work hard for it and earn it.

No more excuses.

8. B_ccc888

B_ccc888 New Member

Plenty cases of REVERSE DISCRIMINATION, are you just plain ignorant or act dumb ?

When White and Latino Firefighters got thrown out from promotion
    while they have earned their way up through objective TESTS

because of some lazy unhappy Blacks who don't want to learn harder and earn their way to the top.

That's exactly reverse discrimination is.

Barack Obama has earned his way to White House, no more excuses for African Americans or any other minorities to whine about discrimination or demanding

special favors.

9. D_Larry Lickher

D_Larry Lickher Account Disabled

Affirmative Action is a concept that is widely misunderstood. At least from what I've seen. The only thing that Affirmative Action does for minorities (and in some instances women) is get them to the 'door', that is, it prevents racist and discriminatory companies and individuals from denying people employment.

So, before you come out and call it and 'Insult' you might want to understand what it actually is.

10. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Looks like someone didn't heed the warning...
    For someone who claims to have passed the SAT (which isn't a test that is ranked on a pass/fail system to begin with), you surely don't have the brain capacity to understand what Affirmative Action does.

Here's the facts: Affirmative Action only comes into play when we're dealing with two candidates of different races or sex who actually have the same work and academic credentials. This is to try and prevent decisions based on very old stereotypes such as "women are better secretaries than managers", or "blacks are only good at being entertainers and sportsmen." You try to paint this picture that any minority who actually does worse than someone else in a test can somehow use Affirmative Action to get ahead. That is completely false.

Now let's revisit the New Haven Firefighters issue. Obviously you don't know the whole story so let me educate you. The problem had nothing to do with Affirmative Action. What actually happened was that a test result was going to be thrown out, and a completely different test was going to be administered to EVERYONE who took the first one. Now do the math, Mr. SAT. If this is the case then who is technically working harder? NOBODY. It's not as if the caucasion firefighters were going to get a second test different from everyone else. And it wasn't as if the minority firefighters were going to get less questions or easier ones. EVERYONE who took the same first test would have had to take the same second test. Which means, EVERYONE would have been given the same amount of work.

The only reason why the Caucasion Fire Fighters cried "reverse racism" and "Affirmative Action" is because they did well the first time and didn't want to take the test again. THEY were the ones trying to not do more work. Not the minorities. Because really... if this was about "working hard", why would the best people try to find a way to get out from doing their job unless they DIDN'T want to work as hard as everyone else? Do yourself a favor and don't even bother answering the question, because to be honest I already know what your response will be. But if you think that somehow you can bring something even more enlightening to the table then please try. Tap into your self-imposed, elite SAT skills and try to form an argument that is factual... not based on bigoted, inaccurate information.

#10 B_VinylBoy, Jul 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  11. SR_Blarney_Frank

That's what they call a 'false choice' ie a rhetorical fallacy common to morons with no real basis for their argument.

So they were discriminated against because they weren't promoted? Huh? Nobody was promoted and, for what it's worth, the test was one of only several qualifications to be eligible for - not guaranteed - a promotion. The Supreme Court decision didn't conclude that the plaintiffs were discriminated against. It concluded that the test was not discriminatory.

Were the white people who didn't pass the test lazy and unhappy too?

I can assure you that black folks are not the reason you are probably an underearning, undereducated loser. You've accomplished that all on your own.

#11 SR_Blarney_Frank, Jul 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  12. Notaguru2

Gold Member

Affirmative action is in its simplest terms, instutionalized rascism. It provides employment to minorities for no other reason but for the color of their skin. Qualifications do not matter.

13. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

That is such bullshit. And quite frankly, I'm surprised a comment like that came from your mouth.

14. SR_Blarney_Frank

Sure. Let's go back to 1963. Maybe your grandfather was the son of a slave and your father was denied entrance to college and routinely denied job opportunities based on his skin color. My grandfather was the son of a plantation owner and my father invested those profits in the family business of which I'm now vice president.

But in 1964 we all become equal and you should now have to compete with me on equal footing. Any form of preference shown to you would just be racist and we can't have that now that we've declared ourselves equal.

15. Notaguru2

Gold Member

I've seen it in action. The qualifications matter in that the minority would be "eligible" for the position, but ultimately, affirmative action has eliminated very qualified people simply because of the color of thier skin and/or gender.

My comment about the qualifications wasnt meant to imply that an unskilled person could apply for a management position. I meant, that its assumed that the applicants would have qualifications to make them eligible for the position.

Affirmative action is simply the wrong tool. It was well intentioned, but falls well short of what its purpose was/is.

16. Notaguru2

Gold Member

We have laws on the books that protect us from discrimination. We don't need affirmative action to muddy the waters. So a few people have benefitted greatly under the act. The act has caused more issues than it has resolved, imo.

17. SR_Blarney_Frank

Affirmative action is alive and well everywhere. I used to get recruiting reports which told me the number of minorities and women hired. Divisions were measured on the number of female or minority managers. There was no quota per se, but it did encourage people to take a closer look at these candidates during the process.

If, for example, 40% of your employees are female and 5% of your managers are female, you may have a problem. It's really not likely that 8x as many males are inherently more qualified.

18. TurkeyWithaSunburn

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think there may be a bridge someone should go back under.
    :sucks:

19. SR_Blarney_Frank

I think you need to read my post again. Passing a law after 200 years of oppression doesn't instantly put everyone on equal footing.

20. Notaguru2

Gold Member

So, how many laws would you like to erect? Exactly 50% of my employees are female. 33% are latino. I've never had an african american applicant. I didn't need a law to tell me who the right hires were. 25% of the middle & executive management are women as well. I promise you, when the boomers are gone, we won't need affirmative action.

Draft saved Draft deleted