Affirmative Action - yea or nay?

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by Lex
I can't post links to Ed Full Text studies because you would not be able to access them.
http://www.ncrel.org/gap/ferg/does.htm

Interesting. The article offers no explanation for the fact that whites and Asians in the upper-middle and highest SES groups score much higher than blacks. Why do you think this is?

BTW, could you copy/paste the whole article? I can't comment on the specifics until I see it.

The Expanding Racial Scoring Gap Between Black and White SAT Test Takers

In the 12-year period between 1976 and 1988, the black-white scoring gap on the Scholastic Assessment Test closed significantly. The improvement in black scores was so strong that some educators predicted that within a generation the black-white gap would disappear altogether.

Unfortunately, this was not to be. In fact, since 1988 the racial gap in SAT scores has become wider and there is no compelling evidence that any improvement is in the offing.

In 1976 The College Board published an analysis of the racial differences in scores of the Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT). At that time the average black score was about 240 points, or 20 percent, below the average white score. When The College Board next examined the racial scoring gap in the early 1980s, the gap had shrunk to 200 points. Black scores were then 17 percent lower than white scores. By 1988 the black-white SAT scoring gap was down to 189 points. The trend was encouraging. Many people in the educational community came to believe that in time the racial scoring gap would disappear altogether. But progress in closing the SAT gap stopped abruptly and now it has begun to open up. For each of the past three years the gap between black and white scores on the SAT test has expanded.

In 2002 the average black score on the combined math and verbal portions of the SAT test was 857. The mean white score on the combined math and verbal SAT was 17 percent higher at 1060.

Over the past 15 years there has been only a very small improvement in African-American SAT scores. In 1988 the combined mean score for blacks on both the math and verbal portions of the SAT was 847. By 2002 the average black score had risen only 10 points, or about one percent, to 857. In 2002 the average combined score on the SAT for black students actually dropped by two points from last year.

Despite the small overall improvement of black SAT scores over the past 14 years, the gap between black and white scores has actually increased. In 1988 the average combined score for whites of 1036 was 189 points higher than the average score for blacks. In 2002 the gap between the average white score and the average black score had grown to 203 points. In the past year alone the black-white scoring gap on the SAT increased by two points.

Not only are African-American scores on the SAT far below the scores of whites and Asian Americans, but they also trail the scores of every other major ethnic group in the United States including Puerto Ricans and Mexican Americans. In fact, American-Indian and Alaskan native students on average score more than 100 points higher than black students.

Explaining the Black-White SAT Gap

There are a number of reasons explaining the continuing and growing black-white SAT scoring gap. A major factor in the SAT racial scoring gap is family income. There is a direct correlation between family income and SAT scores. For both blacks and whites, as income goes up, so do test scores. Some 28 percent of all black SAT test takers came from families with annual incomes below $20,000. Only 5 percent of white test takers came from low-income families. At the other extreme, 5 percent of all black test takers came from families with incomes of more than $100,000. The comparable figure for white test takers is 24 percent. But income alone does not explain the racial scoring gap. Consider these facts:

- Whites from families with incomes of less than $10,000 had a mean SAT score of 980. This is 123 points higher than the national mean for all blacks.
- Whites from families with incomes below $10,000 had a mean SAT test score that was 46 points higher than blacks whose families had incomes of between $80,000 and $100,000.
- Blacks from families with incomes of more than $100,000 had a mean SAT score that was 142 points below the mean score for whites from families at the same income level.

"The Expanding Racial Scoring Gap between Black and White Test Takers," The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education (Jan 23, 2003).

What do you make of this, Lex?

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The article has tables and charts that won't copy and paste well, Dr. Here goes :
Originally posted by the article you didn't link to
Does Socioeconomic Status Predict Achievement Disparities?

The analysis in this section is designed to answer two related questions. One question is whether SES helps to predict racial and ethnic differences in achievement. Many studies have addressed this question, and the answer is virtually always yes.15 The other question is whether the magnitude of the achievement gap is different for different levels of SES. For both questions, the answer here is yes. Disparities in SES predict substantial portions of the disparity for each measure of achievement, but not all of it.16 In addition, the residual "unexplained" disparity, holding SES constant, is greater among students from high-SES households.

For this analysis, the grade-point average from the most recent term is measured on a four-point scale; the other two achievement variables from Table 1 are measured now in standard deviation units.17 Also, it is worth noting that the SES variables here relate conceptually to home intellectual resources (such as books in the home, computers in the home, and parents' education) and number of parents per child (number of siblings and number of parents). The data for this study lack financial-status measures, such as wealth, income, or free and reduced-price lunch status.18

The analysis here uses four standardized SES categories: lowest SES, lower-middle SES, upper-middle SES, and highest SES.19 Table 3a shows what percentage of each race/ethnic group is in each of them. Only 2 percent of blacks have SES characteristics in the highest SES category, while only 3 percent of whites have characteristics in the lowest category. Approximately 79 percent of blacks, 78 percent of Hispanics, 56 percent of mixed-race students, 46 percent of Asians, and only 28 percent of whites are in the lowest and lower-middle categories combined. A look back at Table 2 shows the types of SES disparities for particular variables that together account for the disparities in Table 3a.

Table 3b uses SES "profiles" constructed from the SES categories mentioned above. For a given SES category, say "lower-middle SES," the SES profile comprises the list of mean SES characteristics across all race/ethnic groups combined. Thus, each profile is identical for all race/ethnic groups in a given SES category.
Table 3a

Percentage Distribution of Each Race/Ethnic Group
Across Four SES Categories
Percentages

SES Category Black White Hispanic Asian Mixed Race Total
Lowest SES 24 3 19 7 12 10
Lower-Middle SES 55 25 59 39 44 40
Upper-Middle SES 19 57 19 41 37 40
Highest SES 2 16 3 12 8 10
Column Total 100 100 100 100 100 100

Table 3b

Simulations by SES Profile and Race/Ethnicity
for Three Achievement Measures*

Panel A: Simulated Mean GPA (4-point scale)
SES Profile Black White Hispanic Asian Mixed Race
Lowest SES 2.38 2.52 2.61 2.66 2.30
Lower-middle SES 2.65 2.91 2.88 3.07 2.73
Upper-middle SES 2.88 3.36 3.13 3.36 3.17
Highest SES 3.18 3.68 3.34 3.67 3.49

Panel B: Simulated Amount That the Student "Completely" Understands of Teachers' Lessons (Standard Deviation Units)
Lowest SES -0.38 -0.54 -0.44 -0.58 -0.59
Lower-middle SES -0.23 -0.22 -0.21 -0.26 -0.26
Upper-middle SES 0.00 0.20 0.01 0.06 0.22
Highest SES 0.04 0.35 0.11 0.35 0.31

Panel C: Simulated Amount That the Student Understands "Very Well" of Material Read for School (Standard Deviation Units)
Lowest SES -0.56 -0.59 -0.65 -0.64 -0.57
Lower-middle SES -0.36 -0.15 -0.39 -0.29 -0.31
Upper-middle SES -0.07 0.25 -0.06 0.17 0.17
Highest SES 0.06 0.44 0.17 0.41 0.36

* Simulations are for fixed SES profiles, where achievement predictions use regression coefficients estimated separately by race/ethnicity. See text and footnotes for more detail.

The "prototypical student" defined by a given SES profile has a different predicted achievement level, depending on race/ethnicity. This situation is true for each of the three achievement variables (grade-point average, comprehension of lessons, and understanding of readings). The lowest SES level shows the least race/ethnic achievement disparity.20 For this profile, the predicted black-white gap in grade-point average (GPA) is only 0.14 GPA points; the predicted grade-point average for Hispanics is actually 0.09 points higher than for whites (Panel A of Table 3b). Similarly, in Panel B and Panel C of Table 3b, the other two achievement measures do not show any clear tendency for whites to rank higher than other groups. Generally, these findings show only small race/ethnic achievement gaps in MSAN districts among students with the lowest SES profile.

However, at the highest SES level, the disparity among groups is much greater. Whites rank highest and blacks lowest, with sizable gaps between them. The predicted grade-point average gap at the highest SES level is one-fifth of a GPA point between whites and mixed-race students, one-third of a point between whites and Hispanics, and a full half-point between whites and blacks. The rank order of predicted achievement among groups is the same for the two skill measures in Panel B and Panel C. Note that the predictions for whites and Asians are essentially equal across all three measures.

High-SES students achieve at higher levels than middle-SES and low-SES students among all racial and ethnic groups. However, findings here indicate that the degree to which SES pays off differs among groups. For all three measures, the difference in achievement between high- and low-SES students is smallest for blacks and Hispanics. The reasons are not entirely clear and will be the subject of ongoing research by this author and others. The differences may simply be artifacts of the (in)accuracy with which students answered the survey. More likely, these differences may reflect race/ethnic differences in home, peer, and classroom processes among high-SES students. In any case, it appears from this analysis that SES differences (and the differential life experiences that they represent) account for some but not all racial and ethnic differences in student-reported grade-point average, understanding of teachers' lessons, and comprehension of materials read for school. Further, the unexplained racial differences are greatest at the highest SES levels.

No, income alone does not explain the entire Gap. I don't profess to be the know-it-all on this matter.

Here are my thoughts on SAT:

46 points is not a big deal. It isn't. I would have to see what the averages were to really examine them.Here is an example---1146 Versus 1192 (a 46 point difference) says what exactly?

Blacks from families with incomes of more than $100,000 had a mean SAT score that was 142 points below the mean score for whites from families at the same income level.

Again---going back the the generational explaination--blacks at this income level had been there for a realatively shorter period of time --one generation--versus whites who may have inherited family wealth ( and the experiental and education perks that come with it) for decades.

Here are some ideas I have studied:

1. There are people who theorize that having generations of African Americans who could not be educated because it was illegal is also a factor. As the NY TIme series on Class In America Points out--its takes several generatiosn for someone born in a lower class or SES to "catch up" to his her middle class peers. This is, in effect, partly the rationale behind affirmative action--that you must physciall pick up the person who has had the very late start in the race and place them in closer proximity to the people who were priviledged with the lead.

http://www.nytimes.com/pages/national/class/?8dpc

2. The concept of "Stereotype Threat" "As described by Claude Steele (1997), members of stereotyped groups such as African Americans are especially wary of situations in which their behavior can confirm the negative reputation that their group lacks a valued ability. The extra pressure caused by the fear of reinforcing the negative stereotype interferes with performance, resulting in lower scores” (Hyde & Kling, 2001, p. 374).

Stereotype threat is “the threat of being viewed through the lens of a negative stereotype or the fear of doing something that would inadvertently confirm that stereotype” (C.M. Steele, 1999, p.46).

One landmark study completed by researchers Claude Steele and Joshua Aronson found that merely asking participants to record their race on a demographic questionnaire preceding a test significantly decreased their scores compared to scores of White participants and to scores of Black participants not asked to record their race. When not asked to record their race, all participants scored equally well (C.M. Steele & Aronson, 1995; see also C.M. Steele, 1997). Specifically, this study on stereotype threat showed that Black participants who were asked to indicate their race before taking a standardized test (compared to participants who were not asked to indicate their race) got less items correct, answered fewer items, spent more time on questions, and showed significantly more anxiety (C.M. Steele & Aronson, 1995).

An even more striking example of the ease stereotype threat can be manipulated concerns White men, a typically non-stigmatized group. In this experiment, White male students, who are typically not stereotyped negatively in terms of mathematics, were told they were going to take a difficult math exam on which Asians generally did better than Whites. This study, like the others, showed that the small situational manipulation of telling White students that Asians generally did better, led to a significant decrease in performance for the White students who were told the test favored Asians (C.M. Steele, 1999).

3. There is and always has been bias in IQ and standardized tests like the SAT. In its older versions, it was really more a test of Class than knowledge, although strong research has shown that SAT scores do predict Freshman year GPA to a big extent. But--laying all your eggs in one basket--such as an SAT test is a dangerous thing.

I scored 1110 on my SAT back in 1988. Is that awesome, no. It's okay and I wasn't obsesses enough to take it again. I applied to MIT, U of MD, Hampton University, Morehouse College. All except MIT offered me scholarship money. My highschool GPA was 3.9, my undergrad GPA was 3.902, Master's GPA was 4.0, Graduate Certificate for Admin and Supervision of Schools GPA was 4.0 and my Doctorate GPA is currently 3.99. Taking that into consideration--did the SAT caputre the entire picture of my scholastic ability at 16 years of age? You be the judge.

No social concern or problem is as easy as A +B +C = D. All I offer is the idea that acheivement gaps are not gentically based, but founded in class, income, environment and SES.

So--tell me where you are coming from with the counter argument Dr. Why, in your opnion, does this gap exist? Can anything be done about it?

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Here are my thoughts on SAT:

46 points is not a big deal. It isn't. I would have to see what the averages were to really examine them.Here is an example---1146 Versus 1192 (a 46 point difference) says what exactly?

The point is that black students from families with incomes of $80,000 to $100,000 score lower on the SAT than white students from families with incomes below $10,000 (and considerably lower than white students from families with $20,000 to $30,000 incomes).

If you don't think that's a big deal then... well...

Why, in your opnion, does this gap exist?
I don't know, some of the difference may be explained by genetics. There is no definite evidence either way on this issue, so what do you want me to say? I won't pretend to know the answers.

While [Roland G. Fryer Jr.] denies that his work is united by a grand thesis -- he is a scientist, he explains, devoted to squeezing truths from the data, wherever that may lead -- he does admit to having a mission: ''I basically want to figure out where blacks went wrong. One could rattle off all the statistics about blacks not doing so well. You can look at the black-white differential in out-of-wedlock births or infant mortality or life expectancy. Blacks are the worst-performing ethnic group on SAT's. Blacks earn less than whites. They are still just not doing well, period.''

To Fryer, the language of economics, a field proud of its cold-blooded rationalism, is ideally suited for otherwise volatile conversations. ''I want to have an honest discussion about race in a time and a place where I don't think we can,'' he says. ''Blacks and whites are both to blame. As soon as you say something like, 'Well, could the black-white test-score gap be genetics?' everybody gets tensed up. But why shouldn't that be on the table?''

^''We'' need more people like him, don't you think? :)

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Back down Dr. No need to be defensive. I'm not saying that scoring lower isn't a big deal. I just want to know what LOWER means in that instance. Language can be deceptive and people LOVE to use words like LOWER, HIGHER and percetages because they hide the truth.

It would be one thing to say that 24% of African Americans live 100% below the poverty level in 2003 (according to the census bureau), compared to 10.5% of White Americans. Its quite another to say that there are 8,781 Afrcan Americans living 100% below the poverty level compared to 24, 272 White Americans. See how the percentages can skew the image in a certain direction?

If I score 1 point less than you, I have scored LOWER. Do you see what I am getting at? Success on a test like the SAT could be altered by how PREPARED you were to take it. My classmates whose parent could afford to send them to Saturday Prep calsses scores much higher than I did (and our grades in school were similar--we were in the same AP course track and the saem class for 4 years of high school).

Here is the body of the NYTimes article on Class and Education (College):
Originally posted by The NY Times

May 24, 2005
The College Dropout Boom
By DAVID LEONHARDT

CHILHOWIE, Va. - One of the biggest decisions Andy Blevins has ever made, and one of the few he now regrets, never seemed like much of a decision at all. It just felt like the natural thing to do.

In the summer of 1995, he was moving boxes of soup cans, paper towels and dog food across the floor of a supermarket warehouse, one of the biggest buildings here in southwest Virginia. The heat was brutal. The job had sounded impossible when he arrived fresh off his first year of college, looking to make some summer money, still a skinny teenager with sandy blond hair and a narrow, freckled face.

But hard work done well was something he understood, even if he was the first college boy in his family. Soon he was making bonuses on top of his $6.75 an hour, more money than either of his parents made. His girlfriend was around, and so were his hometown buddies. Andy acted more outgoing with them, more relaxed. People in Chilhowie noticed that.

It was just about the perfect summer. So the thought crossed his mind: maybe it did not have to end. Maybe he would take a break from college and keep working. He had been getting C's and D's, and college never felt like home, anyway.

"I enjoyed working hard, getting the job done, getting a paycheck," Mr. Blevins recalled. "I just knew I didn't want to quit."

So he quit college instead, and with that, Andy Blevins joined one of the largest and fastest-growing groups of young adults in America. He became a college dropout, though nongraduate may be the more precise term.

Many people like him plan to return to get their degrees, even if few actually do. Almost one in three Americans in their mid-20's now fall into this group, up from one in five in the late 1960's, when the Census Bureau began keeping such data. Most come from poor and working-class families.

The phenomenon has been largely overlooked in the glare of positive news about the country's gains in education. Going to college has become the norm throughout most of the United States, even in many places where college was once considered an exotic destination - places like Chilhowie (pronounced chill-HOW-ee), an Appalachian hamlet with a simple brick downtown. At elite universities, classrooms are filled with women, blacks, Jews and Latinos, groups largely excluded two generations ago. The American system of higher learning seems to have become a great equalizer.

In fact, though, colleges have come to reinforce many of the advantages of birth. On campuses that enroll poorer students, graduation rates are often low. And at institutions where nearly everyone graduates - small colleges like Colgate, major state institutions like the University of Colorado and elite private universities like Stanford - more students today come from the top of the nation's income ladder than they did two decades ago.

Only 41 percent of low-income students entering a four-year college managed to graduate within five years, the Department of Education found in a study last year, but 66 percent of high-income students did. That gap had grown over recent years. "We need to recognize that the most serious domestic problem in the United States today is the widening gap between the children of the rich and the children of the poor," Lawrence H. Summers, the president of Harvard, said last year when announcing that Harvard would give full scholarships to all its lowest-income students. "And education is the most powerful weapon we have to address that problem."

There is certainly much to celebrate about higher education today. Many more students from all classes are getting four-year degrees and reaping their benefits. But those broad gains mask the fact that poor and working-class students have nevertheless been falling behind; for them, not having a degree remains the norm.

That loss of ground is all the more significant because a college education matters much more now than it once did. A bachelor's degree, not a year or two of courses, tends to determine a person's place in today's globalized, computerized economy. College graduates have received steady pay increases over the past two decades, while the pay of everyone else has risen little more than the rate of inflation.

As a result, despite one of the great education explosions in modern history, economic mobility - moving from one income group to another over the course of a lifetime - has stopped rising, researchers say. Some recent studies suggest that it has declined over the last generation. [Click here] for more information on income mobility.]

Put another way, children seem to be following the paths of their parents more than they once did. Grades and test scores, rather than privilege, determine success today, but that success is largely being passed down from one generation to the next. A nation that believes that everyone should have a fair shake finds itself with a kind of inherited meritocracy.

In this system, the students at the best colleges may be diverse - male and female and of various colors, religions and hometowns - but they tend to share an upper-middle-class upbringing. An old joke that Harvard's idea of diversity is putting a rich kid from California in the same room as a rich kid from New York is truer today than ever; Harvard has more students from California than it did in years past and just as big a share of upper-income students.

Students like these remain in college because they can hardly imagine doing otherwise. Their parents, understanding the importance of a bachelor's degree, spent hours reading to them, researching school districts and making it clear to them that they simply must graduate from college.

Andy Blevins says that he too knows the importance of a degree, but that he did not while growing up, and not even in his year at Radford University, 66 miles up the Interstate from Chilhowie. Ten years after trading college for the warehouse, Mr. Blevins, 29, spends his days at the same supermarket company. He has worked his way up to produce buyer, earning $35,000 a year with health benefits and a 401(k) plan. He is on a path typical for someone who attended college without getting a four-year degree. Men in their early 40's in this category made an average of $42,000 in 2000. Those with a four-year degree made $65,000.

Still boyish-looking but no longer rail thin, Mr. Blevins says he has many reasons to be happy. He lives with his wife, Karla, and their year-old son, Lucas, in a small blue-and-yellow house at the end of a cul-de-sac in the middle of a stunningly picturesque Appalachian valley. He plays golf with some of the same friends who made him want to stay around Chilhowie.

But he does think about what might have been, about what he could be doing if he had the degree. As it is, he always feels as if he is on thin ice. Were he to lose his job, he says, everything could slip away with it. What kind of job could a guy without a college degree get? One night, while talking to his wife about his life, he used the word "trapped."

"Looking back, I wish I had gotten that degree," Mr. Blevins said in his soft-spoken lilt. "Four years seemed like a thousand years then. But I wish I would have just put in my four years."

The Barriers

Why so many low-income students fall from the college ranks is a question without a simple answer. Many high schools do a poor job of preparing teenagers for college. Many of the colleges where lower-income students tend to enroll have limited resources and offer a narrow range of majors, leaving some students disenchanted and unwilling to continue.

Then there is the cost. Tuition bills scare some students from even applying and leave others with years of debt. To Mr. Blevins, like many other students of limited means, every week of going to classes seemed like another week of losing money - money that might have been made at a job.

"The system makes a false promise to students," said John T. Casteen III, the president of the University of Virginia, himself the son of a Virginia shipyard worker.

Colleges, Mr. Casteen said, present themselves as meritocracies in which academic ability and hard work are always rewarded. In fact, he said, many working-class students face obstacles they cannot overcome on their own.

For much of his 15 years as Virginia's president, Mr. Casteen has focused on raising money and expanding the university, the most prestigious in the state. In the meantime, students with backgrounds like his have become ever scarcer on campus. The university's genteel nickname, the Cavaliers, and its aristocratic sword-crossed coat of arms seem appropriate today. No flagship state university has a smaller proportion of low-income students than Virginia. Just 8 percent of undergraduates last year came from families in the bottom half of the income distribution, down from 11 percent a decade ago.

That change sneaked up on him, Mr. Casteen said, and he has spent a good part of the last year trying to prevent it from becoming part of his legacy. Starting with next fall's freshman class, the university will charge no tuition and require no loans for students whose parents make less than twice the poverty level, or about $37,700 a year for a family of four. The university has also increased financial aid to middle-income students.

To Mr. Casteen, these are steps to remove what he describes as "artificial barriers" to a college education placed in the way of otherwise deserving students. Doing so "is a fundamental obligation of a free culture," he said.

But the deterrents to a degree can also be homegrown. Many low-income teenagers know few people who have made it through college. A majority of the nongraduates are young men, and some come from towns where the factory work ethic, to get working as soon as possible, remains strong, even if the factories themselves are vanishing. Whatever the reasons, college just does not feel normal.

"You get there and you start to struggle," said Leanna Blevins, Andy's older sister, who did get a bachelor's degree and then went on to earn a Ph.D at Virginia studying the college experiences of poor students. "And at home your parents are trying to be supportive and say, 'Well, if you're not happy, if it's not right for you, come back home. It's O.K.' And they think they're doing the right thing. But they don't know that maybe what the student needs is to hear them say, 'Stick it out just one semester. You can do it. Just stay there. Come home on the weekend, but stick it out.' "

Today, Ms. Blevins, petite and high-energy, is helping to start a new college a few hours' drive from Chilhowie for low-income students. Her brother said he had daydreamed about attending it and had talked to her about how he might return to college.

For her part, Ms. Blevins says, she has daydreamed about having a life that would seem as natural as her brother's, a life in which she would not feel like an outsider in her hometown. Once, when a high-school teacher asked students to list their goals for the next decade, Ms. Blevins wrote, "having a college degree" and "not being married."

"I think my family probably thinks I'm liberal," Ms. Blevins, who is now married, said with a laugh, "that I've just been educated too much and I'm gettin' above my raisin'."

Her brother said that he just wanted more control over his life, not a new one. At a time when many people complain of scattered lives, Mr. Blevins can stand in one spot - his church parking lot, next to a graveyard - and take in much of his world. "That's my parents' house," he said one day, pointing to a sliver of roof visible over a hill. "That's my uncle's trailer. My grandfather is buried here. I'll probably be buried here."

Taking Class Into Account

Opening up colleges to new kinds of students has generally meant one thing over the last generation: affirmative action. Intended to right the wrongs of years of exclusion, the programs have swelled the number of women, blacks and Latinos on campuses. But affirmative action was never supposed to address broad economic inequities, just the ones that stem from specific kinds of discrimination.

That is now beginning to change. Like Virginia, a handful of other colleges are not only increasing financial aid but also promising to give weight to economic class in granting admissions. They say they want to make an effort to admit more low-income students, just as they now do for minorities and children of alumni.

"The great colleges and universities were designed to provide for mobility, to seek out talent," said Anthony W. Marx, president of Amherst College. "If we are blind to the educational disadvantages associated with need, we will simply replicate these disadvantages while appearing to make decisions based on merit."

With several populous states having already banned race-based preferences and the United States Supreme Court suggesting that it may outlaw such programs in a couple of decades, the future of affirmative action may well revolve around economics. Polls consistently show that programs based on class backgrounds have wider support than those based on race.

The explosion in the number of nongraduates has also begun to get the attention of policy makers. This year, New York became one of a small group of states to tie college financing more closely to graduation rates, rewarding colleges more for moving students along than for simply admitting them. Nowhere is the stratification of education more vivid than here in Virginia, where Thomas Jefferson once tried, and failed, to set up the nation's first public high schools. At a modest high school in the Tidewater city of Portsmouth, not far from Mr. Casteen's boyhood home, a guidance office wall filled with college pennants does not include one from rarefied Virginia. The colleges whose pennants are up - Old Dominion University and others that seem in the realm of the possible - have far lower graduation rates.

Across the country, the upper middle class so dominates elite universities that high-income students, on average, actually get slightly more financial aid from colleges than low-income students do. These elite colleges are so expensive that even many high-income students receive large grants. In the early 1990's, by contrast, poorer students got 50 percent more aid on average than the wealthier ones, according to the College Board, the organization that runs the SAT entrance exams.

At the other end of the spectrum are community colleges, the two-year institutions that are intended to be feeders for four-year colleges. In nearly every one are tales of academic success against tremendous odds: a battered wife or a combat veteran or a laid-off worker on the way to a better life. But over all, community colleges tend to be places where dreams are put on hold.

Most people who enroll say they plan to get a four-year degree eventually; few actually do. Full-time jobs, commutes and children or parents who need care often get in the way. One recent national survey found that about 75 percent of students enrolling in community colleges said they hoped to transfer to a four-year institution. But only 17 percent of those who had entered in the mid-1990's made the switch within five years, according to a separate study. The rest were out working or still studying toward the two-year degree.

"We here in Virginia do a good job of getting them in," said Glenn Dubois, chancellor of the Virginia Community College System and himself a community college graduate. "We have to get better in getting them out."

'I Wear a Tie Every Day'

College degree or not, Mr. Blevins has the kind of life that many Americans say they aspire to. He fills it with family, friends, church and a five-handicap golf game. He does not sit in traffic commuting to an office park. He does not talk wistfully of a relocated brother or best friend he sees only twice a year. He does not worry about who will care for his son while he works and his wife attends community college to become a physical therapist. His grandparents down the street watch Lucas, just as they took care of Andy and his two sisters when they were children. When Mr. Blevins comes home from work, it is his turn to play with Lucas, tossing him into the air and rolling around on the floor with him and a stuffed elephant.

Mr. Blevins also sings in a quartet called the Gospel Gentlemen. One member is his brother-in-law; another lives on Mr. Blevins's street. In the long white van the group owns, they wend their way along mountain roads on their way to singing dates at local church functions, sometimes harmonizing, sometimes ribbing one another or talking about where to buy golf equipment.

Inside the churches, the other singers often talk to the audience between songs, about God or a grandmother or what a song means to them. Mr. Blevins rarely does, but his shyness fades once he is back in the van with his friends.

At the warehouse, he is usually the first to arrive, around 6:30 in the morning. The grandson of a coal miner, he takes pride, he says, in having moved up to become a supermarket buyer. He decides which bananas, grapes, onions and potatoes the company will sell and makes sure that there are always enough. Most people with his job have graduated from college.

"I'm pretty fortunate to not have a degree but have a job where I wear a tie every day," he said.

He worries about how long it will last, though, mindful of what happened to his father, Dwight, a decade ago. A high school graduate, Dwight Blevins was laid off from his own warehouse job and ended up with another one that paid less and offered a smaller pension.

"A lot of places, they're not looking that you're trained in something," Andy Blevins said one evening, sitting on his back porch. "They just want you to have a degree."

Figuring out how to get one is the core quandary facing the nation's college nongraduates. Many seem to want one. In a New York Times poll, 43 percent of them called it essential to success, while 42 percent of college graduates and 32 percent of high-school dropouts did. This in itself is a change from the days when "college boy" was an insult in many working-class neighborhoods. But once students take a break - the phrase that many use instead of drop out - the ideal can quickly give way to reality. Family and work can make a return to school seem even harder than finishing it in the first place.

After dropping out of Radford, Andy Blevins enrolled part-time in a community college, trying to juggle work and studies. He lasted a year. From time to time in the decade since, he has thought about giving it another try. But then he has wondered if that would be crazy. He works every third Saturday, and his phone rings on Sundays when there is a problem with the supply of potatoes or apples. "It never ends," he said. "There's a never a lull."

To spend more time with Lucas, Mr. Blevins has already cut back on his singing. If he took night classes, he said, when would he ever see his little boy? Anyway, he said, it would take years to get a degree part-time. To him, it is a tug of war between living in the present and sacrificing for the future.

Few Breaks for the Needy

The college admissions system often seems ruthlessly meritocratic. Yes, children of alumni still have an advantage. But many other pillars of the old system - the polite rejections of women or blacks, the spots reserved for graduates of Choate and Exeter - have crumbled.

This was the meritocracy Mr. Casteen described when he greeted the parents of freshman in a University of Virginia lecture hall late last summer. Hailing from all 50 states and 52 foreign countries, the students were more intelligent and better prepared than he and his classmates had been, he told the parents in his quiet, deep voice. The class included 17 students with a perfect SAT score.

If anything, children of privilege think that the system has moved so far from its old-boy history that they are now at a disadvantage when they apply, because colleges are trying to diversify their student rolls. To get into a good college, the sons and daughters of the upper middle class often talk of needing a higher SAT score than, say, an applicant who grew up on a farm, in a ghetto or in a factory town. Some state legislators from Northern Virginia's affluent suburbs have argued that this is a form of geographic discrimination and have quixotically proposed bills to outlaw it.

But the conventional wisdom is not quite right. The elite colleges have not been giving much of a break to the low-income students who apply. When William G. Bowen, a former president of Princeton, looked at admissions records recently, he found that if test scores were equal a low-income student had no better chance than a high-income one of getting into a group of 19 colleges, including Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Williams and Virginia. Athletes, legacy applicants and minority students all got in with lower scores on average. Poorer students did not.

The findings befuddled many administrators, who insist that admissions officers have tried to give poorer applicants a leg up. To emphasize the point, Virginia announced this spring that it was changing its admissions policy from "need blind" - a term long used to assure applicants that they would not be punished for seeking financial aid - to "need conscious." Administrators at Amherst and Harvard have also recently said that they would redouble their efforts to take into account the obstacles students have overcome.

"The same score reflects more ability when you come from a less fortunate background," Mr. Summers, the president of Harvard, said. "You haven't had a chance to take the test-prep course. You went to a school that didn't do as good a job coaching you for the test. You came from a home without the same opportunities for learning."

But it is probably not a coincidence that elite colleges have not yet turned this sentiment into action. Admitting large numbers of low-income students could bring clear complications. Too many in a freshman class would probably lower the college's average SAT score, thereby damaging its ranking by U.S. News & World Report, a leading arbiter of academic prestige. Some colleges, like Emory University in Atlanta, have climbed fast in the rankings over precisely the same period in which their percentage of low-income students has tumbled. The math is simple: when a college goes looking for applicants with high SAT scores, it is far more likely to find them among well-off teenagers.

More spots for low-income applicants might also mean fewer for the children of alumni, who make up the fund-raising base for universities. More generous financial aid policies will probably lead to higher tuition for those students who can afford the list price. Higher tuition, lower ranking, tougher admission requirements: they do not make for an easy marketing pitch to alumni clubs around the country. But Mr. Casteen and his colleagues are going ahead, saying the pendulum has swung too far in one direction.

That was the mission of John Blackburn, Virginia's easy-going admissions dean, when he rented a car and took to the road recently. Mr. Blackburn thought of the trip as a reprise of the drives Mr. Casteen took 25 years earlier, when he was the admissions dean, traveling to churches and community centers to persuade black parents that the university was finally interested in their children.

One Monday night, Mr. Blackburn came to Big Stone Gap, in a mostly poor corner of the state not far from Andy Blevins's town. A community college there was holding a college fair, and Mr. Blackburn set up a table in a hallway, draping it with the University of Virginia's blue and orange flag.

As students came by, Mr. Blackburn would explain Virginia's new admissions and financial aid policies. But he soon realized that the Virginia name might have been scaring off the very people his pitch was intended for. Most of the students who did approach the table showed little interest in the financial aid and expressed little need for it. One man walked up to Mr. Blackburn and introduced his son as an aspiring doctor. The father was an ophthalmologist. Other doctors came by, too. So did some lawyers.

"You can't just raise the UVa flag," Mr. Blackburn said, packing up his materials at the end of the night, "and expect a lot of low-income kids to come out."

When the applications started arriving in his office this spring, there seemed to be no increase in those from low-income students. So Mr. Blackburn extended the deadline two weeks for everybody, and his colleagues also helped some applicants with the maze of financial aid forms. Of 3,100 incoming freshmen, it now seems that about 180 will qualify for the new financial aid program, up from 130 who would have done so last year. It is not a huge number, but Virginia administrators call it a start.

A Big Decision

On a still-dark February morning, with the winter's heaviest snowfall on the ground, Andy Blevins scraped off his Jeep and began his daily drive to the supermarket warehouse. As he passed the home of Mike Nash, his neighbor and fellow gospel singer, he noticed that the car was still in the driveway. For Mr. Nash, a school counselor and the only college graduate in the singing group, this was a snow day.

Mr. Blevins later sat down with his calendar and counted to 280: the number of days he had worked last year. Two hundred and eighty days - six days a week most of the time - without ever really knowing what the future would hold.

"I just realized I'm going to have to do something about this," he said, "because it's never going to end."

In the weeks afterward, his daydreaming about college and his conversations about it with his sister Leanna turned into serious research. He requested his transcripts from Radford and from Virginia Highlands Community College and figured out that he had about a year's worth of credits. He also talked to Leanna about how he could become an elementary school teacher. He always felt that he could relate to children, he said. The job would take up 180 days, not 280. Teachers do not usually get laid off or lose their pensions or have to take a big pay cut to find new work.

So the decision was made. On May 31, Andy Blevins says, he will return to Virginia Highlands, taking classes at night; the Gospel Gentlemen are no longer booking performances. After a year, he plans to take classes by video and on the Web that are offered at the community college but run by Old Dominion, a Norfolk, Va., university with a big group of working-class students.

"I don't like classes, but I've gotten so motivated to go back to school," Mr. Blevins said. "I don't want to, but, then again, I do."

He thinks he can get his bachelor's degree in three years. If he gets it at all, he will have defied the odds.

Oh, and I LOVE Roland Fryer. The sad part is, not unlike Cosby, he is being villified foir having the nerve as an African American--to point out truths about people that are unpleasant. I plan to read all of his papers.