Does Could and Will imply the same meaning here ?

• Total voters

Nigel Atkinson

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So I’ve been having a bit of a discussion with a few users @ArkNebradia @James0909 @fireman1294 @firsttimecaller about Affirmative action and how they believe that someone being chosen based on the color of their skin is racist for a job. A question, or should I say statement was made by @ArkNebradia that more qualified people could be overlooked for a lesser qualified candidate that is the product of affirmative action. He and myself debated the usage of could and will. As it applies to the narrative that Poc are less qualified by his assertion. What are your thoughts on this usage of could and will ? Do they both imply that people of color are less qualified? Or do they mean the opposite ?

D

deleted464787

Not sure why Nigel felt the need to bring this here... but... ok.

And his prose isnt very clear, so allow me to elaborate:

If someone says the following:

"Affirmative action leads to the possibility that someone who is more qualified COULD be overlooked for a lesser qualified candidate in the interest of diversity..."

can you then deduce that this person believes that ALL people of color are unqualified to work?

I personally dont believe that people of color are any more or less qualified for any type of work than anyone else... but Nigel apparently believes otherwise. And last I checked, Nigel wasnt the arbiter of what me, or anyone else is thinking... but I digress.

Feels kind of like posting in the lions den here, but whatever. It would be nice to have a legitimate discussion about the pros and cons of affirmative action if thats what anyone wants. But I dont understand how I can say I mean to say one thing, and someone else can say "No you mean this." Feel free to discuss.

Reactions: James0909

Nigel Atkinson

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Not sure why Nigel felt the need to bring this here... but... ok.

And his prose isnt very clear, so allow me to elaborate:

If someone says the following:

"Affirmative action leads to the possibility that someone who is more qualified COULD be overlooked for a lesser qualified candidate in the interest of diversity..."

can you then deduce that this person believes that ALL people of color are unqualified to work?

I personally dont believe that people of color are any more or less qualified for any type of work than anyone else... but Nigel apparently believes otherwise. And last I checked, Nigel wasnt the arbiter of what me, or anyone else is thinking... but I digress.

Feels kind of like posting in the lions den here, but whatever. It would be nice to have a legitimate discussion about the pros and cons of affirmative action if thats what anyone wants. But I dont understand how I can say I mean to say one thing, and someone else can say "No you mean this." Feel free to discuss.

Did I not say I was going to bring this discussion here ? I like your attempt at trying to clean it up, but not doing a good job of it. My post was clear and described what was discussed. I also love your attempt at trying to turn what you said back on me. SMH typical. But yes let’s discuss

Reactions: emmyfan

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I don't read could and will as being synonymous in any situation. Will implies a definite outcome whereas could only implies "might."

Could a more qualified individual be overlooked because of Affirmative Action? Yes. Could a qualified minority be overlooked WITHOUT Affirmative Action? Absolutely, and I know that from personal experience.

In fact minorities are statistically more likely to be overlooked, even qualified ones, and even WITH Affirmative Action in place. This was the subject of a discussion somewhere in this forum quite some time ago, in which two studies were linked - one showing that people with Black sounding names on their resumes were most likely to have those resumes immediately TOSSED without any further consideration and even WITH appropriate qualifications and credentials.

And another in which it was found that for a particular job, Black applicants were required to undergo drug testing that their White couterparts didn't have to take.

D

deleted464787

I don't read could and will as being synonymous in any situation. Will implies a definite outcome whereas could only implies "might."

Could a more qualified individual be overlooked because of Affirmative Action? Yes.

This, right here.

b.c. And I may not agree on much politically, but even we agree that COULD implies a chance, while WILL implies a definite outcome.

And now that bc has come out and said the exact same statement.... @Nigel Atkinson . are you going to accuse bc of believing that all people of color are unqualified to work?

Or can you please just apologize for misunderstanding me and we can move on in this discussion ?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

deleted464787

Could a more qualified individual be overlooked because of Affirmative Action? Yes. Could a qualified minority be overlooked WITHOUT Affirmative Action? Absolutely, and I know that from personal experience.

In fact minorities are statistically more likely to be overlooked, even qualified ones, and even WITH Affirmative Action in place. This was the subject of a discussion somewhere in this forum quite some time ago, in which two studies were linked - one showing that people with Black sounding names on their resumes were most likely to have those resumes immediately TOSSED without any further consideration and even WITH appropriate qualifications and credentials.

And another in which it was found that for a particular job, Black applicants were required to undergo drug testing that their White couterparts didn't have to take.

oh, and id like to address the rest of bc’s post as well so Nigel can’t just accuse me of picking out the parts I find convenient.

bc pointed out that a qualified person of color COULD get overlooked simply because of the color of his skin. And I also wholeheartedly agree with this. Yes, there are assholes in this world that genuinely hate minorities more than they love success. And I condemn that 100%. I just don’t believe mandating that you MUST have people that have “x” physical trait (whether it be skin color, or gender, or whatever) is a proper solution to the problem.

I’m not even sure I could possibly imagine an all-encompassing solution that solves that problem without introducing new problems to the mix.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
This, right here.

b.c. And I may not agree on much politically, but even we agree that COULD implies a chance, while WILL implies a definite outcome.

Yes, on the meaning of the words we are in agreement. But I guess I'm wondering (and in keeping with the title of the thread) in what context did this particular question arise.

EDITING FROM MY ORIGINAL QUESTION AFTER YOUR ADDENDUM ABOVE:

So do you or do you not agree to the need for Affirmative Action, even if admittedly not perfect, in order to combat discrimination in hiring and employment, especially considering the rise in white nationalism, supremacy, fascism, Nazism and other increasingly open expressions of hate based sentiment?

Or do you think that because there might not be "an all-encompassing solution that solves that problem without introducing new problems to the mix" we should not attempt any solution at all.

Reactions: deleted15807
D

deleted464787

Yes, on the meaning of the words we are in agreement. But I guess I'm wondering (and in keeping with the title of the thread) in what context did this particular question arise.

Specifically, do you or do you not agree to the need for Affirmative Action, even if not perfect, in order to combat discrimination in hiring and employment, especially considering the rise in white nationalism, supremacy, fascism, Nazism and other increasingly open expressions of hate based sentiment?

I think the best way to answer this question would be to say... something needs to be done to punish those who discriminate based on race. Unfortunately, I understand that sometimes it’s incredibly difficult to prove.

I do not believe affirmative action is a good way of solving the problem.

I’d like to see an anonymous kind of system where people are maybe just given applicant numbers, rather than names, and the employer/school has absolutely no method to judge their race. The only thing the employer sees in qualifications. But that sounds a little impersonal as well, without a face to face interview.

it’s a really tough problem to solve, I’m afraid to say.

D

deleted464787

Yes. A tough problem to solve. As it has always been.

I’m also kind of a big fan of companies being at the peril of their own actions as well, though.

For example... I recall a story many years ago about a small wedding cake designer who wouldn’t make a wedding cake for a gay couple getting married. And there was a big lawsuit about whether or not the cake designer HAS to make the cake for them.

from a free business perspective, I actually believe that the cake designer has every right NOT to make wedding cakes for whoever the please. I believe it’s their business and they have the right to run their business however they see fit... AT THEIR OWN PERIL.

I was delighted to see the community come together, and boycott that particular cake designer, and drive him out of business basically. The community made him pay dearly for his backwards beliefs.

that’s the kind of free system I’d love to see. Unfortunately, most Americans aren’t educated enough/motivated enough to really do much as far as small conveniences in order to make that kind of an impact all the time.

Take Amazon, and how they pay their workers. People argue that Amazon should pay its workers more. I argue that Amazon can pay its workers whatever it wants, provided its abiding by all the minimum wage rules and whatnot. And if people want Amazon workers to be treated better, perhaps they should try boycotting Amazon to send a message. Unfortunately, I don’t see that happening anytime soon lol, but you get my point.

justice imposed by society is the best kind of justice that can be served to a business. Even better than justice imposed by the government.

like.... I’m absolutely LOVING what these normal people are doing to the hedge funds on Wall Street right now. Living proof that if enough people band together, awesome shit can get done.

D

deleted464787

EDITING FROM MY ORIGINAL QUESTION AFTER YOUR ADDENDUM ABOVE:

So do you or do you not agree to the need for Affirmative Action, even if admittedly not perfect, in order to combat discrimination in hiring and employment, especially considering the rise in white nationalism, supremacy, fascism, Nazism and other increasingly open expressions of hate based sentiment?

Or do you think that because there might not be "an all-encompassing solution that solves that problem without introducing new problems to the mix" we should not attempt any solution at all.

I see you edited your question, so I figured I’d respond with an updated response.

I’m definitely not saying we should just give up and attempt no solution at all. I’m just not convinced that affirmative action is the correct course of action we should take.

I’m afraid I’m not creative enough to come up with a solution of my own that would still have the positive effects of affirmative action, while reducing the negative effects. But if there’s one out there, I’m all for it.

malakos

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In 1996, the electorate of my state struck down affirmative action as violating our non-discrimination protections, and last year we rejected a bid to overturn the 1996 proposition (by a somewhat wider margin than it had passed in '96). I don't want to comment on the question of how this relates to racism, but as it regards the question of discrimination, I side with the Californian majority in this matter.

Affirmative action is just the wrong approach to dealing with issues of inequality. By the time decisions are being made at the phase of admissions to institutions of higher learning, or job hiring, it is at that point counterproductive to favor a candidate who is at all less qualified just because the given candidate belongs to some disadvantaged class. I fully support attempts to bring greater opportunity to different classes of people further upstream (i.e. in the home, access to affordable healthcare, provisions for sufficient nutrition, good public education for all, etc). Affirmative action is trying to address the problem too far downstream.

Reactions: James0909 and Gj816

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Yes I support programs and real initiatives (not just attempts) to bring greater opportunity to people further upstream as well. However those upstream approaches STILL wouldn't alleviate the discrimination QUALIFIED minorities are facing "downstream."

It almost sounds as if you're saying if "different classes" of people had better healthcare, ate well, and had a good education they wouldn't face discrimination in hiring and employment.

Nigel Atkinson

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This, right here.

And now that bc has come out and said the exact same statement.... @Nigel Atkinson . are you going to accuse bc of believing that all people of color are unqualified to work?

Or can you please just apologize for misunderstanding me and we can move on in this discussion ?

If you use could and will differently then it can imply two different things. But that’s not how you used the words and that’s what I was referring to. Maybe I didn’t explain that clearly here. You kept insisting that a more qualified person would be overlooked because of affirmative action and then changed to could later after I kept asking you why and to elaborate. We were talking about minorities being hired because of the color of their skin and the unfair nature that you all believed it held for the more qualified people. I love how you keep changing things.

Nigel Atkinson

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
:joy::joy:
oh, and id like to address the rest of bc’s post as well so Nigel can’t just accuse me of picking out the parts I find convenient.

bc pointed out that a qualified person of color COULD get overlooked simply because of the color of his skin. And I also wholeheartedly agree with this. Yes, there are assholes in this world that genuinely hate minorities more than they love success. And I condemn that 100%. I just don’t believe mandating that you MUST have people that have “x” physical trait (whether it be skin color, or gender, or whatever) is a proper solution to the problem.

I’m not even sure I could possibly imagine an all-encompassing solution that solves that problem without introducing new problems to the mix.

Yeah, once again. I’ll Reiterate that we were talking about minorities being hired because of affirmative actions and you guys believing it’s the basis of only being considered because of the color of your skin. At no point was minorities ever brought up as being apart of the ones who are overlooked. From y’all at the very least. So you’re trying to switch up the narrative again. :joy:

D

deleted464787

You kept insisting that a more qualified person would be overlooked because of affirmative action and then changed to could later

oh no no no... you don’t get to change your story now. You had 2 pages worth of posts to do that in the other thread!

Please go back to the other thread and and find the quote where I said WOULD!

You are flat out lying now!

Nigel Atkinson

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
oh no no no... you don’t get to change your story now. You had 2 pages worth of posts to do that in the other thread!

Please go back to the other thread and and find the quote where I said WOULD!

You are flat out lying now!

change my story ? You sure. I’m going to post what you said so others can get a picture of it clearer.

D

deleted464787

change my story ? You sure. I’m going to post what you said so others can get a picture of it clearer.

Please do. I will personally pay you $1000 if you can find a statement where I clearly said or implied that people of color are less qualified to work than white people.

D

deleted464787

:joy::joy:

Yeah, once again. I’ll Reiterate that we were talking about minorities being hired because of affirmative actions and you guys believing it’s the basis of only being considered because of the color of your skin. At no point was minorities ever brought up as being apart of the ones who are overlooked. From y’all at the very least. So you’re trying to switch up the narrative again. :joy:

The topic we were discussing was how affirmative action isnt fair because it could overlook qualified applicants and choose less qualified applicants for the sake of diversity. You never brought up minorities being overlooked.

Perhaps you should take notes on how b.c. debates... and instead of saying "YOU BELIEVE THIS!" you should be asking "Do you believe this? Why or why not." THATS how debates are done. None of this repetitive strawman bullshit youre peddling.

I'll admit, I dont technically agree with a lot of the things he posts on here... but at least Ive never seen him accuse anyone of saying something they never said, and then using THAT strawman as an attempt to discredit them.

Because guess what... I wouldnt like that person either. Anyone who believes POC are unqualified workers simply because of their skin color can go suck a dick.

Nigel Atkinson

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Please do. I will personally pay you $1000 if you can find a statement where I clearly said or implied that people of color are less qualified to work than white people.
No one owns the internet in general, however if you don’t like a site or a server because of the race of the person or people that own it then don’t use it. Google doesn’t give a crap if you do or not. It’s not a crime to legally own something and race doesn’t matter either. Unless you make it one. Who you choose to fuck or spend your time with isn’t racist that’s just your preference. But you didn’t mention that in your white men have it easy rant. You are spewing a racist ideology when you say one race is keeping another down, or one race has this mysterious privlage floating out there in the either that no other races have. That’s bullshit. Now you show me a written law that is racist in wrote or nature and I’m with you in fighting it. But you simply saying it’s there because woke culture says so is pretty racist. And you saying that while people magically have great careers dropped into our laps without working hard for them is also pretty racist.

glad to see you still haven’t abandoned your usual tactic of straw manning arguments you don’t agree with.

the person you quote never said, or even hinted that people of color aren’t qualified to work. And I’m sure you DAMN well don’t believe that he believes that as well.

what he said was that affirmative action has the potential to OVERLOOK qualifications sometimes in order to advance diversity, which is NOT a proper way to run anything.

you know all this, and I’m calling you out on it. Your straw Manning needs to stop. We can all see right through it.

no he never said that at all! If thats what he was saying, I would be condemning it, and not supporting him. You are arguing against statements that no one here EVER said.

what part of “MAY not have the best qualifications” don’t you understand? There’s a difference between that, and saying “people who DONT have the qualifications.”

it’s a conditional statement. He’s saying there will inevitably be SOME Instances (NOT ALL INSTANCES) of less qualified people getting the job simply because of the color of their skin. Which is unfair.

so you need to “do better” yourself and get some reading comprehension. You have a major problem of misreading peoples posts, and then spinning it to make it sound bad in order to fit your narrative. I wish more people would call you and your ilk out on this, because it’s such a common tactic in your playbook.

I’m reminded of this:
View attachment 29137141

Thats the kind of strawman argument you use a lot. Like A LOT a lot. Please stop it.

Its funny that you can quote him, and actually highlight the statement of saying the "MAY" not have the best qualifications and then still continue to say that.

Your argument would have weight, and I would 10000% agree with you if the highlighted portion said this:“It’s forcing people to fill positions with people that are less qualified for that position because they are being forced to make a race or gender quota.”

If you cant see the difference between the 2 statements, then I dont know what to say to you. "MAY" most certainly is a conditional statement.

No one in this entire thread EVER said that people of color are less qualified for jobs. And Ill gladly condemn anyone who feels that way because its wrong.

Can someone please step in here and explain that to Nigel? Because hes clearly not understanding it from me. Im assuming that he just hates me so much that hes blinded by it, and isnt actually reading what I say.

Not to mention, for example, that there are certain states that have laws that say you must have "x" number of women, or minorities on your board. Thats EXACTLY how that works. Although, I'd like to hear how Nigel thinks it works--perhaps he's confused about it... and perhaps even the way he thinks it works would be BETTER than the system we have now.

I think its ridiculous that having a vagina, or having skin of a certain color is considered a proper qualification in some circles of management. But watch--people like @Nigel Atkinson will try to spin that statement and say "You must hate women and POC if you can say that."

Cancel culture really needs to stop...

I have to say, when it comes to affirmative action, I dont believe Ive ever come across ANYONE who was basically insinuating "people of color arent qualified to work." You have this notion that people like me and James believe that we are superior to people of color.

I am telling you flat out, right now, that THIS IS NOT WHAT WE BELIEVE. You are chasing a red herring. You are arguing against an apparition of your own mind, that is not present in this thread.

Fucks sake... its incredibly annoying when an SJW tries to say "This is what you believe, and this is why youre a bad person because of it." YOU are not the arbiter of what we believe, WE are.

Why is it that every time I tell you "Im saying this." you respond with "No, youre saying that."

Is that how you debate? Create a false argument that your opponent is making and tear that down? Rather than actually addressing what your opponent is saying?

You have yet to even address what me and James are telling you, even though HE now came out and told you what was meant by his quote. Can you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE address the fact that its POSSIBLE for someone less qualified to be considered for a job simply because of the color of their skin? Please? Pretty please?

I never said more qualified people WILL be overlooked. Im saying more qualified people COULD be overlooked, at the for the sake of diversity.

The first one insinuates that white people are more qualified than POC. The 2nd one makes no correlation between race and qualifications.

Im not sure whats so hard to understand about all this.

Hypothetical scenario:

An employer is looking to fill a position. A company quota mandates that the applicant MUST have the characteristic of "B."

Let "X" represent the MORE qualified applicants.
Let "Y" represent the LESSER qualified applicants.

Let "A" represent a characteristic that is completely unrelated to qualifications.
Let "B" represent a characteristic that is completely unrelated to qualifications.

The employer has 5 people that applied with the following representations:

1) XA
2) XA
3) XA
4) XA
5) YB

Because the quota MANDATES that someone with characteristic B must be chosen, the employer MUST choose to hire person 5, the and ignore the 4 qualified candidates.

Now heres the problem....

You are saying that me and James believe that ALL POC fit into the category of "YB", which isnt true at all. There are plenty of "XB's" out there.... but in this hypothetical scenario, none applied. What happens then?

You know, thats the crux of our disagreement here then. You should use THAT as your main arguing point, rather than trying to construct this narrative that me and James believe all POC are unqualified to work (which we never said at all). At least then, maybe this debate can finally go somewhere.

So focussing on that... if thats not how it works, then please, educate me, in your own words--how exactly does it work?

Because when I read mandates that say "You must have at least 1 woman on your board." or "You must have at least 1 minority on your board." I get a little skeptical of the whole thing.

Im saying more qualified applicants COULD be passed up.

You say Im saying more qualified applicants WILL be passed up.

You are also saying that COULD and WILL insinuate the same thing.

Please correct me if any of the 3 statements above are false. And if so, please amend it so I can understand exactly what youre saying.

Not just "ok" people sneak in. Completely unqualified people can even sneak in. No hiring system is perfect in catching everything.

Ive seen complete idiots of ALL races not only get invited to interviews, but actually LAND JOBS before.

And it would be part of affirmative action if a person of color (who happens to be unqualified) got the job over qualified people, simply because of the color of his skin.

Yes.

Or at the very least, a LESSER qualified person might get hired over a MORE qualified person, simply on the basis of skin color.

They would be unqualified because.... they arent qualified... lol.

I know you REALLY want me to say they would be unqualified because of the color of their skin, but thats not what Im saying at all. They just happen to be unqualified because they lack the qualifications. Thats what unqualified means... lol

There will be qualified people, and unqualified people of all races.

Wow, I feel like Im explaining something to my 5 year old niece. I thought this was just automatically apparent stuff, but I guess not.

I cant believe that you still have this notion that we think someones skin color is in any way related to their qualifications.

And as weve already explained, under your system, they would be hired over a MORE qualified candidate, because of diversity mandates, because there are apparently people out there that think having a DIVERSE group of workers is more important than having a FUNCTIONAL group of workers.

Strawman #2

you LITTERALLY quoted me saying this:

There will be qualified people, and unqualified people of all races.

And you still felt the need to ask that stupid, asinine, race-baiting question. GFY, Nigel. Youre a terrible person, and a liar.

Once again, who the fuck are you arguing with?

Strawman #3

Once again, just a few posts up, I already stated that Ive seen completely unqualified individuals of ALL races land jobs before.

Once again... yes.

Or.. you know... a well qualified Asian person... oh wait, let me guess. You only think of white people first when it comes to privilege, I assume? Thats why Ive known Asians that score much higher on their SATs than other people who get into a school of their choice.

Bet yeah, lets conveniently ignore that fact that the races that are statistically more successful in the US are Asian/Indian men, and focus on problem that is white people. Woke culture, and all that.

In the example I gave above, where you have 5 applicants:

1) XA
2) XA
3) XA
4) XA
5) YB

The qualified individuals are the first 4 people there.

No one should ever get hired (or rejected, for that matter) on the basis of the color of their skin. Don't you agree?