Afghan women take a stand on television

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_VinylBoy, Jan 5, 2011.

1. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

There was an extended story about this on CNN International (one of my favorite news networks) yesterday. A brand new program has appeared in Afghanistan that provides a stage for women to speak out against some of the inhumane treatment they have experienced from their husbands or other men in their native land. The show is called "Niqab", which translates to "The Mask". Women who are willing to take the brave step are sat down on stage wearing a symbolic mask, one side painted blue and the other side painted white for "innocence", and are free to express themselves in ways they would never be able to do openly in their own country without fear of scrutiny, abuse or even death.

'Niqab,' Afghan Television Program, Allows Muslim Women To Speak Out Against Abuse, Rape (VIDEO)

It's still surprising how some cultures embrace such barbaric treatment to their citizens, primarily women. Although I don't know how much this will work to reverse some of the cultural backwardness in a country in the Middle East, I still think it's a step in the right direction.

2. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    If these are not filmed surreptitiously, these women are risking certain death.

Draft saved Draft deleted