Afraid to show in locker room?

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by shortrib, Apr 19, 2008.

1. shortrib

shortrib New Member

I just recently joined a local YMCA to lose weight, lower blood pressure, etc.
    Being 300 pounds when I started out made me very self conscience about being nude in the locker room/showers. Oh, and by the way, I have a tiny dick, and never been nude in a locker room before now. Perhaps being almost 40 now made me get over things, and when I showed up for my first workout, I stripped and took a shower like a normal guy would. Totally survived. But my story and reason for the post is about all the guys that don't go nude. So far, I've seen a guy go back and forth from his locker about six times, and do the strip/dress under the towel, and in the shower I've seen guys in undies, I've seen a guy in undies and sweatpants, and two guys fully dressed. I've seen guys with their duffel bag in the shower area with all their belongings. To be fair, I've seen a few guys enter the shower in their underwear/swimsuit but strip as their showering with the intention to rinse out those items as well as shower. My whole thought to those guys who seem afraid or panicked to get naked is just to look at me. I'm doing it, and who cares really? I've not gotten any comments. *shrug*
    The guy who showered in his sweatpants really threw me because I saw him walk out to a pool/sauna area and not the locker room. I don't know he could've been up to with soaking wet sweatpants on. Cya!

2. 9inchcanadian

9inchcanadian Member

Albums:
    There is alot of self consciousness out there, I am not one to parade around with my wares on show in that situation!

However some guys have a fear of being perved on just as much as being ridiculed.

The sweatpants thing is just plain weird though

3. Fire Stick

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I am always far from bashful in the locker room (grin), but some men are, whatever their reasons. The behavior you describe is oddly extreme, though.

4. InverS

InverS New Member

i work where i have to shower at the end of almost every day, so i've learned to get used to it. but i never had any issues. hell, i'm hetro, and i'd probably feel quite complemented if a guy told me i looked good naked, but it wouldn't bother me as that's as far as he'd get!!!

:)

bottom line, love your body! being naked doesn't mean shit. it's what your intentions are when you are naked that changes it.

5. catman

Gold Member

I know! Lets blame the Bush administration on it!

6. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
    The poor sod may have had a skin condition on his legs that he was very embaressed or self consious about.

7. 8060

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I agree with you. They're strangers. Let them do them and you do you. If you're inquisitive about why a particular person does something a certain way, then just ask them. One of two things will happen, they'll either tell you the truth or tell you to fuck off. You just have to brace yourself for their response.

8. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

...and there's lots more coming out of high schools and colleges just like those guys. some high schools today don't even have showers.

9. luke nutley

luke nutley New Member

I was only self-conscious the first time I went to the gym. After that, I got over it.

I have seen some strange sights in the locker room though including one young guy (he must have been 18 or so) who went to such a ridiculous extreme to not have anyone see his dick or even his ass as he changed, that it made everyone watch him more.

If he'd just stripped off and changed clothes like a normal person instead of doing it in the corner and under a towel and all this other shit, nobody would have paid him any attention.

At the previous gym I used to go to, there was an old fat guy who wore an adult diaper and he wasn't shy or embarrassed about it either. He'd actually weigh himself while dressed in nothing but the diaper.

I don't know why so many guys are shy about undressing in the locker room considering most dicks you see are small. I've yet to see a whopper. Most are like buttons.

10. reallyhot

Gold Member

Albums:
    So what about the guy whowore his trunks to the shower,stood there and rubbed one off with a bar of soapin his swimwear...and obviously it was too big to remainin his trunks after a while!I thought that was a bit unusual!

11. sizexxx

sizexxx New Member

I tend to shy away from displaying my junk for all to see in the locker room, but only because I am afraid of getting an erection and having other guys think it is because of them. More likely than not, if I got hard then it would be because showing off turns me on. I haven't been in a locker room in a while though. Maybe I'd have better control than when I was a teenager now that I'm out of adolescence.

12. Mule

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I've seen this kind of bashfulness a lot in the locker room, mostly from younger guys. I have no problem with being naked in the locker room - after all, it's a place to get changed and shower.

I do tend to notice guys looking at me but it doesn't bother me at all. There is a guy in his early 20s at my gym who used to go out of his way to walk around naked, shave naked, talk to his buddies naked. He's in great shape and I think he liked to show off his physique. About three weeks ago we crossed paths as I was walking out of the shower. I saw his eyes drop to my swinging 5 1/2" softie. He's about 3 1/2", maybe 4" - quite average. Since then he's been wrapping a towel around his waist.

It's not like I went out of my way to 'best' him, but I guess some of these alpha dog types will tuck their tails under some circumstances!

13. pronatalist

pronatalist Active Member

And here all this time, I thought the reason guys got hardons, was because they had a penis? That's what penises do. So I never though much of it, as long as they don't flaunt it and try to show off or attract attention.

14. D_Terry_Misue

D_Terry_Misue New Member

I work out on a regular basis and I almost always shower after.

However, I'm not shy when it comes to the locker room. I'm not really worried about what anyone thinks. Both gyms I use (at college and the local Y) have communal showers.

I'm comfortable being naked, hanging out for a while. Shave, sauna, shower, then get out and move on!

that being said, I have gotten a boner before. However, I was discrete and I definitly did not provoke it. It just kinda 'popped' up while I was in the shower. Only problam was that my towel was hanging on the other side of the communal shower room...kinda akward, but I stayed cool and no one said anything.

i have also posted about a precum incident i had while shaving at the gym. no boner just for some reason i looked down and my cock was leaking away.

those experiences are the expception though. mostly, it's a relaxing way to end a great workout...

15. B_andyo

B_andyo New Member

I guess many people are shy and some don't do it because they just don't. Like me, I didn't grow up like most of my friend showering on the backyard or w/e. I never really got naked in a gym or school's but I am not afraid to. Maybe I don't want to be looked at or show off that way.
    Don't get me wrong if i had to I would be going around naked I wouldn't care. But, I am not shy at all. And I have the package to go anywhere , body, dick, you name it.

16. southernstud

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I work out and shower at the gym. I have no problem with being naked, though I have not always been that way. I had never been naked in public until I was 18. The school I attended did not let us use the showers following PE, so we just went on smelling like funk. I took the initiative when I turned 18 to join a gym.

I admit that I had an erection almost every time I would shower. It was nothing erotic, I was a newcomer to the world of being naked with "the guys." I moved, and now work at a gym. We do not have communal showers, which is a shame (more on that later). I have been naked in front of coworkers and it was not a big deal for me.

I do not get hard as easily today as I did at 18. My first nude display in front of a coworker was last week when he finished his workout, and I was in the locker room after a shower. I was standing there with a towel around me, getting my clothes out of the gym bag. We were just talking, I took off the towel, it was no big deal. He went on to take his shower, and that was it. He did not strip down though, he walked to the shower with his shorts on, but they are stalls, so he probably disrobed in there.

My comment about communal showers comes from personal experience. I think that it is important to be naked and experience nudity in a nonsexual way to help develop identity. I mean, it does help curb the media-inflicted views of how guys are supposed to be. There is also a more practical reason. The stalls are small and air does not exactly move too well in them. After a hard workout, I want nothing more than to just breath and get clean. Having an open shower will provide the airflow and cleanliness. Who knows, it may even lead to finding some new friends.

It may sound like a rant, but as usual, its just what's on my mind.

Draft saved Draft deleted