After a radical mastectomy would you reconstruct?

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am honestly curious how women would proceed (or have proceeded) after having a mastectomy (either due to breast cancer or to avoid breast cancer, when there's a history of breast cancer in the family). Is breast reconstruction something which you would or did find to be of importance to your peace of mind?

(this is somewhat similar to men who've had a testiicle removed due to cancer and have a prosthetic ball put into the scrotum as a way of feeling more complete)

D_Sparroe Spongecaques

Experimental Member
Media
I personally would have a reconstruction as my breasts are part of me that make me feel more womanly.Plus,i've had fairly big ones for so long i think i would feel strange without them anymore.I know from speaking to one or two people that keeping things as 'normal' as possible is important so that's another factor that i think would help me make my decision.

Of course,the above is just my opinion and isnt to say i wouldnt respect someone elses decision which was different to mine.

My nan had a mastectomy and had a bra with the breast shaped/size padding in and i could tell when i looked at her when she was dressed.I wouldnt want that for myself to be honest.I know the mastectomy bras are different and alot better now but i still would want a reconstruction.

An auntie on my paternal side had breast cancer and had her right breast removed and didnt have a reconstruction as she was so ashamed of her body and ultimately her marriage ended.She did say years later that she wholeheartedly wished she'd had the reconstruction.

I've nursed women (in maternity) who have had a reconstruction after a mastectomy and it has looked fab.

Last edited:

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
no, i think i might not.
i'd rather a real scar than a fake boob, if that makes any sense.
the remaining boob would still be nice, and the scar would remind me of how strong i am and how lucky i am.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I'm with dolfette here.

I'm fairly sure I'd wear a bra with a falsey sewn in, but to go through actual surgery to have a breast / breasts when naked. No, I don't think so.

I reserve the right to change my mind if it ever happens, but hypothetically speaking I think I'd be comfortable enough with a scar.

a_uncensored

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Personally I'd do the reconstruction. My breasts are part of who I am and I personally enjoy having them and would miss them sexually.

As for being strong and confidant about one's self after having a mastectomy - any woman who has had to go through breast cancer is a hero and survivor whether she has reconstruction surgery or not!

It's just a personal choice.

My aunt had a mastectomy and had a prosthesis in her bra, which worked fine for her but she wasn't a very sexual person and wasn't really proud or happy with herself or her body. But it worked for her so then it was the right decision for her - everyone is different.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Like Manly, I reserve the right to change my mind. However, unlike Manly and Dolfie, I would want a new pseudo-boob. I can't imagine myself in the mirror without my breasts.

I had a math teacher in middle school who had a falsie in her bra, and because her arms were up and down to use the board, they crept up, ad I could see them.

Last edited:

the_new_godiva

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I could see why some would get a reconstruction. My friend's aunt had a falsey but deep down inside she still felt like she was incomplete.

Personally, I would wear the falsey over having a reconstruction. I would like clothes to hang properly on me but my boobs don't define me in any way.

Embrace69

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Knowing how I already feel about the one surgical scar on my body, I'd opt for reconstruction. I am a sexual being and I view my body a certain way. I know bodies change over the course of years but once you've known what it's like to be 'normal' as it is in my case, your mentality changes. I knew what it was like for that part of my body to be flawlessly normal and then boom, an accident happened that would change the way I look at myself forever. It is a bit damaging in terms of body image especially for me and I still struggle with it every day.

If I could have the chance for semi normalcy when it came to my body image I'd have it reconstructed just because I think it would make me feel a bit better about my body image as a whole. I wouldn't be doing this for my S/O, I'd be doing it strictly for myself. That is, assuming it was caught early enough and that I had it removed and went into remission. Unfortunately, some women don't get that lucky. :frown1:

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'd do the reconstruction. Having had large breasts for most of my life I feel they are intricately linked with my body image. I'd feel strange without them.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I fully understand where the women who are saying 'I'm a sexual being, I'd have to reconstruct' are coming from. I'm a sexual being too - I just don't think losing a breast, or even both, would stop me being sexual or feeling like a sexy woman.

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
God this is a great question. Very thought-provoking.

I do know someone who had a double mastectomy and she did get them reconstructed. They look great and she's happy with them.

I don't think I would in theory (I love dolf's statement about liking the scar as a reminder of how strong you'd be/are)...however my bodyshape is naturally very Jessica Rabbit. So I would probably not like the shape I'd have if I had one or both breasts removed. If I got them reconstructed it would only be for shape.

My sister says yes she would get them reconstructed because breasts are a core part of what is feminine to her. (She's a member here, I just asked her.)

My mother says no she would not. (Just asked her too.)

Last edited:

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have had large breasts my entire life, postings like this remind me not to bitch and complain because they are overly large or not perfect. Though they do not make me a woman, they are part of who I am. I have struggled many times with the idea of having a reduction to make them better suited to my body.

I abhore fake breasts, BUT for the sake of breast cancer or trauma victims I am all for them. I think that I would opt for recontruction because I would feel like I am missing a part of myself. It would be like missing anything else, an arm, a leg, a finger. For myself I think why not? I am still going to have battle scars no matter what I do. I may change my mind if I ever have to experience it IRL, but I pray I never do. It is not a decision that would come easy.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I just recently had a scare with a recent mammogram. He said he "found something." Well, that was a week of hand wringing, but it turned out to be a cyst. I was very scared and went through the whole process of thinking what I would do.

I decided I would have reconstructive surgery and make them perky! OK, not perky, but definitely higher.

Just like some of you they've been around so long that I would miss them. I just don't need so much.

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Reconstruction is the only place saline boobs make sense. That is where the procedure originated. You gotta have a matched pair. That said, there is good reason to believe that in many cases a lumpectomy would do as well, and without the need for complete reconstruction.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Reconstruction is the only place saline boobs make sense. That is where the procedure originated. You gotta have a matched pair. That said, there is good reason to believe that in many cases a lumpectomy would do as well, and without the need for complete reconstruction.

True - but that's not what this thread is about.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I do know someone who had a double mastectomy and she did get them reconstructed. They look great and she's happy with them.
We have a friend in her late 30s who had a radical double a couple years ago, too...she opted for a reconstruction sans nipples. Hilarious, but she loves them!

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Wait, she has no nipples? Why does my first thought go to "You can use stickers to change it up!"

If I were in a relationship with a woman who had a mastectomy, I would support whatever she chose to go with. But I would admit that I would choose the reconstruction if I had a say, since I like groping. :tongue: