After a radical mastectomy would you reconstruct?

freyasworld

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was diagnosed with breast cancer in july 2005, I had several ops and reconstructive surgery, - 2 weeks I will be 5 years clear, officially in remission and off all drugs now!

So I'm saying if you are unfortuante to contract this god awful disease, 1in3 women will get it, then get the best treatment you can and if that includes reconstructive surgery and looking damn good then go for it - that is treatment!

freyasworld

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have read over all your posts, and would like to thank everyone for the support you have shown to my husband, Riven650. It's not easy to talk about all of this stuff with friends & family.
Mostly I wanted to say that deciding whether or not to have reconstruction can be very complicated. When breast cancer was first diagnosed in 2003, the option of having a mastectomy was discussed but, due to the position of the cancer and the fact that I large breasts, the surgeon felt that a lumpectomy would provide the clearances they needed and would be less invasive. I was offered the option of having the lumpectomy pretty much immediately, or waiting a couple of weeks and having a reconstruction at the same time. I wanted to move quickly, so opted for the lumpectomy with the option of having reconstruction later. As it happened, the cancer turned out to be a fast growing cluster (14 lymph nodes were also removed from my armpit, 5 of which had cancer). The surgery didn't provide the clearances they needed, so I was very relieved that I had chosen the fast-track, and had a full mastectomy a couple of weeks later. Then the wound became infected (no particular reason, just one of those things), and had to be re-opened and allowed to heal from the bottom up, which took a month or so. When it finally healed I had 18 weeks of chemo and then radiation to make sure. While this was happening I wasn't wearing any sort of prosthesis as it would have hindered healing and, after all the problems, I was adamant that I did not want reconstruction. The method being offered took an area of skin from the shoulder blade area and moved it with it's blood supply to cover the new breast implant. Nine months after the initial diagnosis I was back at work and wearing a silicone prosthesis, which looked good in clothes but was hot and sticky, and caused Riven650 the problems which he discussed in his post above.
Towards the end of 2005 the cancer seemed to have gone away and I discovered that an outstanding breast reconstruction surgeon, who is mentioned in a couple of previous posts, was working at a local hospital. Her method used tissue from the belly instead of the back, which means having a tummy-tuck instead of having a large scar on your back. I went to see her and she was happy to do the surgery, but she pointed out that I would need to have the other breast reduced in size to make a matching pair. That would mean that some of the left nipple could be used to make a new right nipple, although it was unlikely that either nipple would have any sensation. I was put on the waiting list for surgery in 2006.
But in May 2006 I developed inflammatory breast cancer, first below my breast area and then rapidly spreading over my chest and back. I had chemo (which resulted in septicemia) but worked brilliantly on the IBC, and then had a second mastectomy with the removal of 22 lymph nodes. Everything settled down again, I returned to work flat chested and a year or so later I went back to the reconstruction surgeon, and she agreed to do a double reconstruction. However, when I discussed this with my oncologist he pointed out that surgery in the area could stimulate the IBC back to life, so I decided not to do it. By this time I had got used to having no breasts, I wasn't wearing prostheses, and I was aware of the high likelihood of the cancer returning.
So it was no big surprise to be rushed into hospital with 3 inoperable brain metasteses in February 2008, which were treated with large doses of steroids and whole brain radiation, which actually worked. I was let out of hospital on gradually reducing steroids. When asked, my oncologist confirmed that my cancer was now terminal. The IBC came back a few months later, but more chemotherapy sorted that out, and I've been remarkably fit and healthy over the past 2 years.
So how do I feel about breasts and reconstruction? It would be nice to have a pair of breasts instead of lumpy scars from armpit to armpit, but in my case it wasn't really an option, and my scars are itchy enough that I have never felt inclined to go back to prostheses - although I am occasionally tempted to put them on for new friends who didn't know me when I was the proud possessor of a particularly fine pair of breasts. However, I am very aware that it is much easier for me to cope with being so effectively de-sexualised when I have such a supportive husband. Reading breast cancer web sites, it is obvious that many marriages/relationships fall apart under the strain of coping not just with the disease, but with the damage that it does to a woman's sexuality and self image, and the problems this can cause their partners. Only by talking about everything, including all the bad, difficult and unacceptable stuff can a couple support each other, and I've been very lucky to have Riven650 encouraging me every step of the way.

My heart, my prayers are with you.

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I was diagnosed with breast cancer in july 2005, I had several ops and reconstructive surgery, - 2 weeks I will be 5 years clear, officially in remission and off all drugs now!

So I'm saying if you are unfortuante to contract this god awful disease, 1in3 women will get it, then get the best treatment you can and if that includes reconstructive surgery and looking damn good then go for it - that is treatment!

Wow! You look great! I would have never had any idea if you had not told us. You are a very lucky and beautiful woman.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Way to go, Mr. and Mrs. Riven, and congratulations, Freyasworld.

-------

If I developed breast cancer, I would have BOTH breasts lopped off. that way I'd be symmetrically flat. I would hope to keep my nipples as long as it wasn't a health risk.

Boobies are not part of my identity. They are attention grabbers, sure, but I could do without them. I am far more fond of my waist , behind and legs -- and so is my guy.

Riven650

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hi Not_Punny,
I completely understand why you'd feel like keeping them. Nipples are wonderful sensual things, and the idea of losing them is horrendous. I may be wrong, but I understand that if you need a mastectomy the nipple cannot be saved.

MrsRiven had terrific nipples. I remember being absolutely mesmerised by them when we first got together. We sunbathed on a beach and the cool breeze made her big nipples erect and become exact replicas of that hill in 'Close Encounters'. I was utterly hooked. But much as I loved them and the big bouncy funbags that supported them, when they had to go; they had to go. By the time the oncologist has explained why it's best to have a mastectomy you don't look at that breast in the same way. In fact you can't wait to be rid of it. That's a terribly difficult concept to understand until it happens.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hi Not_Punny,
I completely understand why you'd feel like keeping them. Nipples are wonderful sensual things, and the idea of losing them is horrendous. I may be wrong, but I understand that if you need a mastectomy the nipple cannot be saved.

MrsRiven had terrific nipples. I remember being absolutely mesmerised by them when we first got together. We sunbathed on a beach and the cool breeze made her big nipples erect and become exact replicas of that hill in 'Close Encounters'. I was utterly hooked. But much as I loved them and the big bouncy funbags that supported them, when they had to go; they had to go. By the time the oncologist has explained why it's best to have a mastectomy you don't look at that breast in the same way. In fact you can't wait to be rid of it. That's a terribly difficult concept to understand until it happens.

LOL, I loved that movie (close encounters). Her nipples must have been quite a sight! :tongue:

From what I've read, nipple-sparing mastectomies are possible as long as the tumor(s) are at least an inch away from the nipples. So, if I am affected by the disease, I guess it will be just like real estate -- location, location, location. :eek:

Riven650

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
LOL, I loved that movie (close encounters). Her nipples must have been quite a sight! :tongue:

From what I've read, nipple-sparing mastectomies are possible as long as the tumor(s) are at least an inch away from the nipples. So, if I am affected by the disease, I guess it will be just like real estate -- location, location, location. :eek:

Yes, MrsR's nipps were quite amazing. When they erected the areola would pucker and elevate her nipples. Immediately after orgasm they'd stand about an inch high. You could hang your coat on 'em. Ah, those were the days :rolleyes:

Re nipple sparing mastectomy: I guess it also depends upon the kind of tumor. MrsRiven's original breast tumor was well away from the nipple but it was growing fast. When they did a lumpectomy they discovered it was a cluster of tumors which meant it was a very unstable kind of cancer. They immediately decided to do a radical mastectomy but, as you've read in my posts above, it had already 'seeded' elsewhere.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I would if the insurance covered it. Because I have always been smallish, only needed a bra during breastfeeding, and I could get them bigger for free. I am a cheapskate. However, I would definitely miss the sensation I have in them now.

MidwestGal

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Personally, I would do the reconstruction just at a more reasonable size than my real ones are. Getting rid of the cancer is the most important part, but for many I know reconstruction is a big part of their healing process.

Daisy

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I really dont know. It's really easy for me to say because I have big boobs now but I would feel so free and so comfortable without these boobs. I would seriously consider just having them removed altogether. Like I said I might feel differently if it happened to me but I cannot fathom having implants, that would just feel too foreign to me. Like an object inside my body..no..I dont think so.