After Shave / Cologne Choice ?

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by benderten2001, Jan 5, 2003.

1. benderten2001

Gold Member

Wondering what choice cologne or after-shave you guys prefer to use? --"brand names" that is...

(Women: Tell us what you like or recommend for your man!)

I received "Cool Water" and "Allure" recently as gifts--

I want to resume using some kind of men's fragrance but don't want anything "too over-powering" so to speak (around those in office who may have allergies!)
    Any recommendations?
    --Just something "fresh, clean-smelling, and masculine!
    Thanks.

2. Imported

Gold Member

mikeyh9in: I would recommend a cologne called "Celine - pour homme".

Very nice, light fragance.

I would also recommend Mont Blanc-Presence... one of my favorites at the moment.

-Mike

3. Imported

Gold Member

jazzz14: "Angel for Men" - the best, extremely different. Not citrus at all - like most. Purchased it in Paris but I believe you can find it at Bloomingdales.

4. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

Nothing fancy. I have a Gilette sensitive skin moisturizer, but more often than not, I simply splash some astringent over the shaved area. Yes, it burns a bit, but no redness or burn or irritation thereafter -- a good tradeoff.

5. benderten2001

Gold Member

'Appreciate all the responses so far! Thanks.

BTW--before someone brings up the new line of fragrances--- "pheromones", I am aware of those and they have their place and purpose ;) !!

I interested however, in just "general purpose" fragrances (as you're mentioning in your responses so far!) Again...thanks!

6. Imported

Gold Member

chris3430: Dolce and gabbana or bvlgari

-italian is the best!

7. Ralexx

Ralexx Member

My favourite (for the 6th year in top): « Fahrenheit » by Christian Dior. I would bath in it ! Then, in no specific order: « Ultraviolet » by Paco Rabanne, « Uomo » di Laura Biagiotti, « Cool Water » by Davidoff and, recently I discovered « Byzance » by Guerlain. But « Fahrenheit » is truly my favourite.

8. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

My choices: Lagerfeld, Fahrenheit.

9. Imported

Gold Member

biggbenn8: Well with my job I don't do any...(need my nose clear)..

and personally- most make my eyes burn...always has...

10. Imported

Gold Member

bmayantz: Believe me, dark blue by Hugo Boss

11. Imported

Gold Member

Maximillian: Montage by Graham Webb, the ladies seem to love it and always ask what I am wearing.

12. Imported

Gold Member

Finedessert: NOTHING--NOTHING--NOTHING

I'am afraid if I used any of those fancy smelling toilet waters my wrist would go limp.

Grandpa

13. benderten2001

Gold Member

Grandpa....

Your comment did hit upon a "fear" I have carried most of my adult life I guess as a man...that cologne/aftershave conveyed an "effeminate" quality about the man wearing it!  Well, as I get older, I find I look upon such stereotypical ideas as rubbish!

--I'm sure (knowing you here with your great sense of humor we all love) that you meant that "limp wrist" comment light-heartedly.    :)

In business situations I am in daily, I have noticed a good number of executives who wear light-scented clean, fresh fragrances which were pleasant, not over-powering...that's why I came to the readers here to get advice about what's popular these days.

Thanks to all for your ideas!

14. Imported

Gold Member

bznapoleon: ::)
    I tend to receive compliments from women when I wear Boucheron. But I am cautious to apply sparingly.
    Some people are allergic. And on more than one occasion like in an elevator, or at the theatre, I have found heavily applied fragrances on others quite offensive.

15. Imported

Gold Member

alextg: I actually don't use aftershave or colognes, simply because shaving itself is sometimes too much for my skin.

I have, however, gotten a LOT of unsolicited positive comments and downright compliments from women simply because the Classic Old Spice deodorant (not anti-perspirent) works so well with my body chemistry.

My point is that perhaps trying a few of these, if possible to do without buying the entire bottle, is a good option. Body chemistry is a thing unique for all of us, and you never know how something will work for you unless you wear it for a short while. My experience with colognes and perfumes is that they never smell exactly the same being worn by someone as they do in the bottle...

16. Imported

Gold Member

meathose10: Just soap and water..... Is there anything worse than being trapped in an elevator with some dude who has really doused himself ?

17. B_DoubleMeatWhopper

B_DoubleMeatWhopper New Member

[quote author=meathose10 link=board=clothing;num=1041824961;start=15#15 date=01/14/03 at 21:37:03]Just soap and water..... Is there anything worse than being trapped in an elevator with some dude who has really doused himself ?[/quote]

Yep ... Being trapped in an elevator with a dude who doesn't believe in soap and water. And it can get worse if he just finished a big plate of beans & kraut! :eek:

18. Imported

Gold Member

alextg: [quote author=DoubleMeatWhopper link=board=clothing;num=1041824961;start=15#16 date=01/14/03 at 21:46:26]Yep ... Being trapped in an elevator with a dude who doesn't believe in soap and water. And it can get worse if he just finished a big plate of beans & kraut! :eek:[/quote]
    Ah, that fresh European style, LOL!

(jk) ;D

19. benderten2001

Gold Member

I brought this thread back up since there is currently
    renewed interest in men's fragrances!

and, right here near the holiday shopping season, too! ;)

'Hope this helps some members.

(btw--Thanks to all for your original replies to my question posed earlier this year!)

20. Imported

Gold Member

SRV524: Hmm...this helps somewhat, but I was still looking for questions on Axe. Interesting replies though :)

Draft saved Draft deleted