Aids/hiv - A Myth?

dongalong

Mythical Member
Media
Deconstructing The Myth Of AIDS (Gary Null)

Rather a long clip (2 hours) deconstructing the myth of aids.

Mentioned:

-How you can be tested HIV positive in Africa and with the same test you will be negative in Australia

-How AZT and other drugs are killing "HIV positive" victims

-How a test proved that HIV wasn't sexually transmitted between couples with a HIV positive partner

etc. etc.

Conspiracy?

B_Hung Muscle

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
A 100 percent bunch of crap. This is right up there with Thabo Mbeki's nonsense that has caused his country's skyrocketing AIDS caseload.

There is a lot about the biochemistry of HIV we don't understand but conspiracy theories that have no basis in empirical scientific inquiry are not helpful.

D_Merton Prehensile

Account Disabled
Media
Due to biology and DNA of the HIV virus cannot be cured by a drug, nor by the body, unfortunately. So giving people drugs to cure it is stupid in itself, lol.

Since sexual reproduction and such is down to so much random chance, some sperm cells will have the virus within them, some won't. So you might not get it, it's like russian roulette.

I have to agree with Hung muscle on this one.

dongalong

Mythical Member
Media
A 100 percent bunch of crap.
You say this with such authority, are you also a researcher?

I'll wait until someone convincingly deconstructs that documentary before I start to formulate an opinion.
To be fair, nothing they said will make people stop using condoms and they explain how drug use alone, can cause a person's body to aquire immunity defficiency.

Wrey

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
*Wrey hangs his head and wonders why God is so stingy with intelligence and so generous with stupidity*

OP, you need to look up the term non sequitur. It defines the conclusions that Denialists draw from their ‘data.’

By the way, I would never step on the first amendment, but these threads on HIV/AIDS being a myth are in really poor taste. If someone started posting threads that breast cancer is a lie or that Ebola is just bad diarrhea, I’m sure we would all agree.

I’m honestly disgusted at this point and promise never to post in one of these threads again, for my own integrity.

K

kundalinikat

I'll wait until someone convincingly deconstructs that documentary before I start to formulate an opinion.

Please, this is sad. (I've also PM'd the following to dongalong)

Here are resources for you.

A succinct and clear summary of the evidence that HIV induces AIDS:
The evidence that HIV causes AIDS

The author of that study you mentioned states unequivocally that HIV induces AIDS and discusses how her study has been distorted by others:
HIV heterosexual transmission and the "Padian paper myth"

Detailed point-by-point evidence of the link between HIV infection and AIDS:
The Evidence That HIV Causes AIDS, NIAID Fact Sheet

All of these came from this page, which is the third Google result from searching (hiv aids myth debunk). It is not so hard to find hard evidence from many, many sources.

Debunking AIDS Denialist Myths

Hotrocker

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Deconstructing The Myth Of AIDS (Gary Null)

Rather a long clip (2 hours) deconstructing the myth of aids.

Mentioned:

-How you can be tested HIV positive in Africa and with the same test you will be negative in Australia

-How AZT and other drugs are killing "HIV positive" victims

-How a test proved that HIV wasn't sexually transmitted between couples with a HIV positive partner

etc. etc.

Conspiracy?

:rolleyes: lol. AIDS/HIV a conspiracy, you say? This has significant comedic value to me. Please, don't listen to the naysayers... do continue. I LOVE anything that makes me laugh, even if it is total and complete bullshit. What next, a conspiracy theory regarding the death of JFK?:biggrin1:

ledroit

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
There is a trick to questions like this. If you imagine that you alone are the only one living in reality, then you can make decisions on your own about what is real and what is fantasy.

But if you understand that reality is what all of us, including scientists, are interested in, the more interesting question is how scientists separate fact from fiction, and how the community of researchers, all over the world, can test their assumptions about reality.

"Beliefs" have to be oriented toward reality, not fantasy, or they are not worth much. We need to have reality checks on what we know and don't know, if we do want live with each other in the real world, and talk about things like health and disease objectively.

Have you studied the methods used in science or psychology or philosophy to verify claims about things that exist in reality and are not simply imagined?

There is a whole community of people working on questions like these, and some of them are actually very competent.

You say this with such authority, are you also a researcher?

To be fair, nothing they said will make people stop using condoms and they explain how drug use alone, can cause a person's body to aquire immunity defficiency.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
*Wrey hangs his head and wonders why God is so stingy with intelligence and so generous with stupidity* I often wonder the same thing. :redface:
OP, you need to look up the term non sequitur. It defines the conclusions that Denialists draw from their ‘data.’

By the way, I would never step on the first amendment, but these threads on HIV/AIDS being a myth are in really poor taste. If someone started posting threads that breast cancer is a lie or that Ebola is just bad diarrhea, I’m sure we would all agree. That's an excellent point. I hadn't thought of it like that before. I’m honestly disgusted at this point and promise never to post in one of these threads again, for my own integrity.
:frown1: That saddens me as you are often one of few learned voices of reason.

:rolleyes: lol. AIDS/HIV a conspiracy, you say? This has significant comedic value to me. Please, don't listen to the naysayers... do continue. I LOVE anything that makes me laugh, even if it is total and complete bullshit. What next, a conspiracy theory regarding the death of JFK?:biggrin1:
JFK is not dead! I don't know why the right wing radicals insist upon spreading such vicious rumors. :mad:

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Dongalong,
You are a frigging genius. Why didn't I think of this a long time ago. I also have been curious about whether HIV causes AIDS. But I had this crazy idea that in order to really find out, I would have to get an education in the field, review the medical scientific literature, and formulate my own opinion.

But what an idiot I was! Why didn't I see that all I had to do is to come to a big penis support group where there are almost certainly no professionally trained researchers in the field of virology and just ask random people to challenge some video I got off the Internet. Then (and this is the real genius), if noone could effectively challenge it, I have my answer that HIV surely doesn't cause AIDS.

dong, I have to thank you for this. You really have come up with a brilliant solution to solving scientific problems.

I couldn't be inspired to write anything of any value. If nothing else, this thread made me laugh until I pissed myself.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There is a trick to questions like this. If you imagine that you alone are the only one living in reality, then you can make decisions on your own about what is real and what is fantasy.

But if you understand that reality is what all of us, including scientists, are interested in, the more interesting question is how scientists separate fact from fiction, and how the community of researchers, all over the world, can test their assumptions about reality.

"Beliefs" have to be oriented toward reality, not fantasy, or they are not worth much. We need to have reality checks on what we know and don't know, if we do want live with each other in the real world, and talk about things like health and disease objectively.

Have you studied the methods used in science or psychology or philosophy to verify claims about things that exist in reality and are not simply imagined?

There is a whole community of people working on questions like these, and some of them are actually very competent.
ledroit,
This is the crux of it. I wish I had a succinct way of making this point. The point being that scientific conclusions are made through a process that is different than just debating issues and adding up the score. One might find flaws with how it is conducted at one point in time or another, but without it we are screwed.

All these denialists work outside the process and bring their case right to the public, where it can't be challenged so rigorously. This is the first sign of crackpot denialism. They all justify it by insinuating that the established professional community is compromised so it is not to be trusted.

With HIV denialism, it's Big Pharma that has bought out all the scientists. With Evolution denialism, it is science following an Atheistic agenda, therefore not being objective. With holocaust denialism, naturally it is the Jews that influence the historians, etc.

I submit that outside the scientific community any debate is interesting, but not much more valuable than bar room conversation.