AIDS virus can hide in bone marrow

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by Big Al, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Big Al

Gold Member

Knowing this, we're one step closer to winning the war against this horrible illness!

Researchers: AIDS virus can hide in bone marrow

WASHINGTON — The virus that causes AIDS can hide in the bone marrow, avoiding drugs and later awakening to cause illness, according to new research that could point the way toward better treatments for the disease.Finding that hide-out is a first step, but years of research lie ahead.

Article continued HERE (As per the forum rules)

2. AlphaSpartan

AlphaSpartan New Member

Since bone marrow is removable (painful, no less) you'd think, based on this find, since a virus can't be cured it could be quarantined to the marrow and then the marrow be extracted.

Of course, I don't have a degree in biology so this is only a war strategy.

3. briefs

briefs New Member

Albums:
    It's not just the bone marrow where the retrovirus is dormant, though that article helps to continue explaining why research is vitally important. HIV also takes vacations in the lymphatic system. It's very difficult to target the retrovirus in those areas without damaging healthy cells.
    I want HIV cured, not just managed. Living with it maybe 28 years (?), over half my life, and on meds for 20 years, I'm way past ready. But...I'm glad to be here. The early 80s were brutal.
    The silver-lining of HIV, if it can be called that, is so many amazing research discoveries that help not just those living with HIV, but treatments for other diseases.

4. FuzzyKen

FuzzyKen New Member

The big problem with dealing with HIV is dealing with it everywhere simultaneously. To a great degree we can get to most places with drugs within the body. HIV has some unique properties in that it seems to be able to find it's way into locations where drugs do not easily penetrate. Having worked in and around the entertainment industry in Hollywood starting in the early 80's I had the horrific experience of attending the funerals of more people than either briefs or I have been on this earth in years. These funerals peaked towards the first years of the 1990's and have wained since.

What I still fail to understand are those individuals referred to as "bug chasers" who go out and deliberately try and become infected with this retrovirus.

I really wish that many others had shared the advantages I had coming from a family whose business was medicine. I read everything about the vectoring early on and learned from what I read while limiting my activities.

I wish that there was hope for a cure for this. Sadly, this will never happen unless many changes are made in the current medical system. HIV and the conditions that this virus causes are a Pharmaceutical giants "wet dream". There is sadly no profit in a "cure", but billions in creating a long term manageable condition where we can force people to take drugs costing hundreds of thousands of dollars over their lifetime.

Over time the drugs will get better, and the side effects from these drugs will be reduced to a bare minimum. But, in order for corporate profits to remain in the billions we cannot block transmission because we need new cases to treat to keep the "gravy train" going.

Yes this is indeed cynical, but having watched the industry of medicine for years the last mistake made was made when the Salk vaccine was found to prevent Polio. You can guarantee that the Pharmaceutical Industry will not allow that kind of mistake again.

By the way after decades of telethons for neuromuscular disease and years of "we're so close" how many kids have been cured of MD, and how many adults have been cured of MS, ALS, and the many other neuromuscular diseases.

Draft saved Draft deleted