Airline bans sex on A380 [with double beds]

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
"SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Singapore Airlines, the first operator of the new Airbus A380, has dashed the hopes of sexual thrill-seekers planning to engage in amorous activity aboard the world's biggest jumbo jet."

I'm not sure if this (potential) option factored into peoples choices in the 'Favourite Airline' thread as one or two rated Singapore Airlines quite high, but it seems it's a non starter.

I wonder how the ban will be enforced...!!

Singapore Airlines brings lovers down to earth - Yahoo! News UK

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
There's been much discussion about how spacious and roomy those new A380s are. Publicity photos reveal reclining chairs and comfortable beds roomy enough for sex. But a question arises: Is the economy class seating where most of us will travel any more spacious or comfortable than that of a 747?

Just interested.

chico8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There's been much discussion about how spacious and roomy those new A380s are. Publicity photos reveal reclining chairs and comfortable beds roomy enough for sex. But a question arises: Is the economy class seating where most of us will travel any more spacious or comfortable than that of a 747?

Just interested.

Supposedly there's more room on Singapore's A380s but since they've chosen a passenger friendly configuration, there's no guarantee that other airlines will off the same.

I'm sure some of them will resemble flying cattle cars.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Supposedly there's more room on Singapore's A380s but since they've chosen a passenger friendly configuration, there's no guarantee that other airlines will off the same.

I'm sure some of them will resemble flying cattle cars.

That's the thing.

There was a lot of hoopla about the luxurious trappings of the original passenger liner Queen Mary when it was launched in the late 1930s. To be sure, the well heeled traveler could cross the Atlantic in high art-deco style. But the steerage class quarters on that ship looked pretty much like they do on any other ship, only there were more of them.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
...But a question arises: Is the economy class seating where most of us will travel any more spacious or comfortable than that of a 747?

As another poster has mentioned seating layouts are at the whim of the carriers, however I suspect many will provide a little extra space (but only a little) in cattle class, Virgin is one that springs to mind here.

I know people say they prefer one type over another (usually Boeing over Airbus and v.v.) but in essence it's a seat in a sealed metal tube and you're stuck in it for hours, any variation in comfort and space is down to the carrier in their chosen seating plans, far more than the aircraft maker.

I think (if we're really honest) much of that stated preference is based far more in national affinity than real objective comfort. Having flown on many types, closing one's eyes I find it's hard (if not impossible) to tell them apart. The things that make the biggest difference are completely outside the control of Boeing or Airbus; namely crew and one's immediate seating neighbours.

back on topic, whatever one can or can't do in an A380 bed, it will be a very expensive process!!

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Attachments

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Funny how the compartment is staged for a romantic interlude in the photos.

Indeed....!

If those prices are accurate, not as bad I as I'd suspected!! Considerably cheaper than SAA mile for mile!

I assume the middle shots are the 'regular' first class though it's more like BA's club world, apart from the colour (ugh)! The business class looks nothing extra special, nice lighting though.

As SpeedoGuy wondered, economy looks pretty standard, though with what looks like a tad more leg room, and bigger screens.

Just interested.

Do you, by any chance, remember the promos for the 747? Spacious seating, sky lounges on the uppper deck, a little duty free shop or two, plenty of room for everyone!

Then what did the airlines do? Cram economy full of ever single body they could find. Everything turned into seating. It'll be the same way with A380; a modern day steerage hold.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
lol

So I'm wondering if Singapore Airlines' opposition to sex in those romantic berths is really based upon:

* hygiene (ie lingering residues of frequent emission of, well, uhm, fluids)
* laundering and cleanup costs (related to above)
* prudishness at what patrons might be doing behind closed doors?

...or...

* in-flight aircraft stability (lots of simultaneous rocking motion could trigger unstable resonant harmonics and endanger the stability of the aircraft) :cool:

lastly, I suspect headbang8's suggestion will probably be tested. Besides, what are the Singaporean authoritices going to do with captured offenders? Charge them extra? Cane them?

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Oh geez. We all know that there's going to be hanky panky in there. They certainly know that by their suggestive staged photos of the chamber. This is a pure publicity stunt for free advertising. They are milking it pretty good.

Hey, it's either there or in the bathroom. And it certainly is more considerate if the bathroom isn't tied up for long stretches.

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Do you, by any chance, remember the promos for the 747? Spacious seating, sky lounges on the uppper deck, a little duty free shop or two, plenty of room for everyone!
Yeah, I remember those promos. You overlooked: the spiral stairway! I wonder how many of those are still around? In 1991 I flew on a TWA 747-100 which still had it's spiral stairway. It must have been cool in it's day.

The A380 is plane I would only want to fly on once. I don't really like the jumbos. They "feel" more like a ship than a plane. And it takes too long to load and unload. The 767 and the upcoming 787 are what I'd call optimal sizes.